Racism on AIRBNB

Hello,
A host asked me to cancel my reservation after she understood that my husband is french black. How is possible? I am terrified.
What should I do any advices?
If I cancel I see that I loose some money for the Airbnb Service Fee (Includes VAT) (Non-Refundable).
Thanks for the advices!

Do not cancel, report the host to airbnb, They should not be hosting if they have an issue with different races, colours (yes thatā€™s how us Europeans spell it )

Am sorry you have had to run into this host, they should not be on any platform offering hospitality

9 Likes

Airbnb has required that hosts agree to their non-discrimination policies. Report this host to Airbnb. They will help you to find other accommodation and they will probably delist this host. No matter what the host says, do not cancel your reservation.

3 Likes

Airbnb has a clear antidiscrimination policy. Report the host.

2 Likes

Do not cancel. Did the host say this is a text message? If so, take a screenshot so that the remarks can be shown to Airbnb.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advices. How to report her? I donā€™t find the option?

1 Like

If I were you, I would call Airbnb. If you use an electronic method of communication with them, they can take a very long time to respond. Some people here have reported good results with Twitter. I tried to no avail.

1 Like

I tried to call, but unfortunately, no answer.
Any ideas for phone number I can try to call again?

Thanks I will try to call again tomorrow!

Yes I took a screenshot, Thanks!

Airbnb answers calls 24 hours, 7 days a week, so you donā€™t need to wait until tomorrow. I sent you a personal message. As you are a new poster, you might not know how to access it. Click on your profile and youā€™ll see it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Very helpful!

Crazy. Please come back and update on what happens @Petia_Iosifova. I think they will be very quick to react and this host will be banned immediately. Itā€™s funny that there are so many hosts who are aghast at Airbnbā€™s anti-discrimination policy and insist that itā€™s all ā€œpolitically correctā€ nonsense (a la Breitbart News). Those of us who live in the real world know that discimination is not only alive but very well indeed these days.

9 Likes

And reply to the host ā€œplease send this communication to me through the airbnb platform so I have the information with my reservation. Thanksā€

And you and your ā€˜french blackā€™ husband are welcome here in DC anytime!

4 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: You are very kind!

1 Like

Here in South Florida too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or Bostonā€¦

If this werenā€™t so serious, one might ask ā€œdid they ask you to cancel because he is French or because he is black?ā€ Seriously, report this to AirBNB, let them help you find an alternate location, and in NO instance cancel this reservation.

I am really saddened that you have had this experience. May I ask which country/city this AirBNB is located?

3 Likes

No. I donā€™t want a link to the listing. If I did, that would have been my questionā€¦ I donā€™t think the listing will be up for even 10 more minutes. I am interested in the country/city.

1 Like

Iā€™m so horribly sorry that you had this experience ā€“ I would feel so angry and upset. Iā€™m also not white but Iā€™ve thankfully only had positive experiences when traveling through AirBNB and Iā€™m so sorry you had the misfortune to run into this terrible, petty, and racist person. You and your husband are welcome anytime at my place if you ever want to visit Chicago!!