Quick Fix for Chip in Porcelain Sink?

I had plumbers out yesterday and after they left, I found that they had chipped a small chunk out of my bathroom sink.

They are coming back to look at it today, but I thought I’d ask here if anyone knows a good fix that is also fast - I have guests coming in tomorrow night and would like to have it looking like new before then.

Home Depot or other hardware stores have chip repair in a tube. I’ve used Sharpie oil-based paint pens and even an old bottle of white-out (typewriter error correction – do they even make it any more?) in a pinch for temporary repairs. Got any white paint laying around?
Your plumbers should know to cover sinks and tubs with a painters cloth when they are working.

3 Likes

When our house was brand new in 1995, we found a chip in the porcelain bathtub. The builder sent a guy out to fix it. He was only in the house for a couple hours and we couldn’t even see where the chip had ever been. No idea what product he used or the process.

4 Likes

You might be hard pressed for time, if you guests are arriving tomorrow. Drying time is key.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the tips! It looks like they are just going to replace the entire sink for me.

I think I will add a bottle of chip repair to my emergency kit.

2 Likes

Nothing to add regarding products but I’d natter on to the guests about how inefficient the plumbers were and say “I feel terrible for you, although I know you won’t mind, but when I get my hands on those plumbers…”

Have a laugh with them about it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Our Trailer iron sink is from 1954. I use white nail polish on the little imperfections. It was totally painted once, I’m not sure with what. No chips however.

This was a pretty deep chunk missing from the edge, beyond anything paint alone could have helped. It needed some type of filler with a hard finish on top. Fortunately the plumbers were great and replaced the entire sink. I will paint around it tonight and it should be good to go for my guests tomorrow night.

You beat me to it :slight_smile: I’ve found that nail polish is a great quick fix for things like that (altho it seems the OP’s was a sizeable chip, so while it would have covered the base color of the sink, it might have still been noticeable). I have used it to cover small chips in ceramic tiles- it comes in such a multitude of colors, you can usualy find almost an exact match.

1 Like

If you can buy it in the US, Ronseal two part wood filler; push it in, shape it, paint it with nail varnish. A quick solution until the plumbers, quite rightly, replace the sink.

I do like Jaquo’s response though :smiley:

3 Likes

There’s an epoxy putty made in a white color and made for plumbing repair available in the US. That’s what I’d use for a temp quick fix.

JB Weld Water Weld. They have other colors for other applications and I keep them all on hand.

3 Likes

I have a small bottle of white appliance paint that comes with the brush in the cap (like white out) that I have used to repair small chips in porcelain sinks. Your chip would require several coats with drying time in between.

1 Like

I used white out. Once it dried, a quick spray of polyeurathane. If you are good with colours, mix up a bit of acrylic instead of white out.

I’m waiting to hear what those plumbers had to say for themselves.

I think my posting of their response just got buried in the other responses here:

They were falling over themselves to apologize and had it replaced in time for my current guests. The new sink looks great.

3 Likes

That’s excellent. :slight_smile:

2 Likes