Questions for guest before proceeding

I am trying to avoid getting the occasional rare ding on location, shared washroom or a busy street comment for the front room. ( I shouldn’t have to do this. Its already all laid out in the listing.)

So, I have decided to send this to every guest who requests to book or books one of the two rooms in my property .
( the fourth statement does not apply to the garden view room)

Hello XXXX,

Thanks for your interest in my home. I appreciate it.

Are you able to say"yes" to all of the following statements :

-I have read the full listing including the house rules
-I am aware that I am renting one of two Airbnb rooms in the home where you live
-I am aware that the one washroom is shared and this absolutely not an issue for me
-I am aware that I have booked/will book the street facing room and that the sound of city traffic is absolutely not an issue for me (or I might close the window)
-I have looked at the property’s location on the Airbnb website and it is ideally located for my needs

Are you able to say yes to all of the above?

Thanks!

Is this a pre-booking or post-booking message?

If its an instant booking, I send it immediatley after receiving the booking.
If its a booking request, I send it then, before confirming or not the reservation.

The problem with this is that you are asking them to do this after you have accepted the booking.

What are you going to do if they say no.

Who is going to cancel? Who is going to be liable for any fees involved?

I would include this in your house rules as well as messaging them, or you may run into problems.

2 Likes

Hi Helsi,

Thanks for your response.

There is no problem.

I am not asking them to do this after I have accepted the booking.
I am asking them to do so before I accept the booking.

If it is an instant booking, I am asking them to do immediately after the booking. If there is an issue, I have no qualms using one of my 3 allowed instant booking cancellations.

I do not believe I will need more than 3 cancellations a year.

Halifaxy

p.s. the info is already in my listing and house rules! But that doesn’t seem to be enough for some people

I may soften it slightly. It currently comes across a bit crass or blunt in my opinion. Maybe just something more like: “As stated in our listing, please be advised that the washroom is shared and some noise may be heard in the front bedroom. I am pre-approving you for your stay and look forward to your arrival”

They can back out if that want to at this point.

I don’t like the location language. I think sometimes hosts on here don’t understand that there could be dings for location even if mapped correctly. A unit could be a great location but next door to a trash incinerator.

2 Likes

Very good points! Thanks for your input.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

I think this is too subtle. I think her original one is better.

Maybe add,

We offer an awesome listing close to a lively urban area (or whatever applies.)

To avoid disappointment, please say YES to the following questions!

4 Likes

@konacoconutz
I always see why you are a great writer! So well said, kudos

2 Likes

Actually Brandt,
After reading your email, I realised that the whole thing sounds aggresive, which I certainly am not with my guests. Quite the opposite.

I think I have wandered into that end of season host burnout mode! I am glad the tourist season is winding down!

I’ll just continue sending nice personalised messages instead.

Thanks again.

1 Like

It’s not aggressive. It’s perfectly acceptable! Just soften it slightly and let it fly!

4 Likes

Ok! Thanks konacoconutz! I’ll soften it!

2 Likes

Ok, how is this? Softer ? (thanks konacoconutz)

Hello XXXX,

I offer an awesome listing close to a lively urban area:

To avoid disappointment, please say YES to the following statements!
(just one yes for all statements as a whole is good too! :slight_smile: )

-I am aware that I am renting one of two Airbnb rooms in the home where you live
-I am aware that the one washroom is shared and this absolutely not an issue for me
-I am aware that I have booked/will book the street facing room and that the sound of city traffic is absolutely not an issue for me (or I might close the window)
-I have looked at the property’s location on the Airbnb website and believe it is ideal for my needs

Thanks again! XXXX

2 Likes

@Halifaxy, I like your approach and I kind of do a similar thing with my guests.
I would take out any mention of “an awesome listing”, though. Underpromise and overdeliver, y’know?

This is the kind of standard message I send:

Thank you for choosing/considering my place to stay [depending on IB or enquiry]. I would/will be happy to host you here! X is a great city/town/area and I’m sure you will enjoy it. Please make sure that you’ve read all the details about my place and that you’re ok with:
list of all things that important

For me, it’s the two flights of stairs in my place, the shared bathroom, the fact that I am renovating etc etc. I finish by saying “My place is comfortable and friendly and you will/would be very welcome here. If any of the things listed are a problem for you, please tell me asap so we can work them out or arrange a cancellation.”

I think the key thing is to be honest, open and friendly so that guests get a sense of what to expect from you.

3 Likes

Except for the parenthetical statement. Some non English speakers might not get it… AND… getting them to agree to each one proves they read it all. :blush:

1 Like

Ok, taking your suggestions into consideration, this is where I am at now:

Hello XXXX,

I offer a comfortable, clean home, close to a lively urban area:

To avoid disappointment, please say YES to the following statements!

-I am aware that I have booked/will book the street facing room and that the sound of city traffic is absolutely not an issue for me (or I might close the window) not visable for garden view room reservation requests
-I have looked at the property’s location on the Airbnb website and believe it is ideal for my needs

Thanks again! XXXX

2 Likes

Ideal, friendly and a good idea.

1 Like

Well, I’d make it a bit friendlier but whatever! Thing is, you will still get people dinging you on things that are clear in your listing. It doesn’t matter what you do: This Will Always Happen. You just have to live with it. Your message may mitigate a few guest expectations but it will not guarantee you 5* reviews.

I’m sure you’re not like this but please do not make the Crazed Host mistake where you post ranting responses to less than stellar guests reviews “But you agreed that you knew everything before you came, and you stained the towels and you are… blah blah”. Surefire way to kill your business dead.

3 Likes

Thanks for your help Magwitch,

I’ve got 204 riviews, 94% 5star, 5% 4star and one 3star review, So I’m doing pretty well.

I’ve only replied to one less than stellar review by saying

" I am happy that you enjoyed my home and appreciate your constructive criticism. All the best! "

But thanks for reminding me to not go into “Crazed Host” mode! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for your help, Konacoconutz.

1 Like