Question for cat owners

Not necessarily true. Depending on the product, some are difficult to tell right away. Then there are the ones that are obvious.

I’m not sure what you are getting at. Of course I read review contents and not just star ratings.

I think sometimes when someone makes a purchase then the company will offer a complimentary item in exchange for a review of the original purchase.

I’m not getting at anything, really. Just general comments. I wasn’t suggesting that you didn’t read review contents. (Double negative - yuck.)

Any information anywhere is going to be adulterated with “fake” content. That’s true of the internet. It’s true of anything else too. One advantage of the internet is its inherent democratizing influence. Everyone can have his or her say. Once upon a time it wasn’t so easy. Yes, filtering out noise can be difficult. Unfortunately.

Ok. I’ve no idea how that works. But presumably Amazon wouldn’t consider the complimentary item a purchase in that case. (Shrug.)

Where is the double negative??

wasn’t… didn’t…

I don’t like double negatives. But sometimes they are hard to get away from.

How is that a double negative though??

Oh. Isn’t it? I’ll let some grammar expert address that. Any grammar experts here?

I’m an amazon reviewer. You often get the product free or at a discount and as you order it through amazon it counts as a verified purchase. You are supposed to leave honest reviews with the disclaimer you got it for free or a discount. We get more offers the better quality our reviews are, and I find them to be helpful because you know that the person is supposed to try it out for awhile before giving the review.

1 Like

I see. Thanks, @Sarah_Warren, I didn’t know that.

Oh, and how does one get to be an Amazon reviewer? If you don’t mind me asking.

1 Like

I think a true double negative has the canceling negatives next to each other, like “I can’t not be excited about reviewing items for free!”

Sarah - have you also heard of ones where you make the original purchase, and then you get to claim a small free gift in exchange for an “honest” review of the original purchase?

My goto site for questions like that is english.stackexchange.com. I could ask there. Or in chat.

No, I haven’t tried that. If you go to https://www.amzreviewtrader.com you can sign up to request free and discounted products. The seller will review your amazon account and see that you’re a real person and leave quality reviews and then give you a code to use for either a discount or the item for free, and then if you have amazon prime you don’t even pay shipping. They just expect you to review within 2 weeks. The better your reviews (content, descriptions, quality, grammar, etc), the higher you’re rated as a reviewer if I understand the process and then after awhile you actually get sellers contacting you asking you to review their products.

2 Likes

Double negative (that I am familiar with)

I didn’t read none of the reviews - that is a double negative

I didn’t read any of the reviews - this is correct

Then again…I aint no English professor…lol

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. But it doesn’t look like this is available for India, so for me, at least, it’s a moot point.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia,

A double negative is a grammatical construction occurring when two forms of negation are used in the same sentence.

It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a grammatical error.

Of course, WP is not entirely reliable, but that has also always been my understanding of the meaning of the term. A quick search brings up a more detailed discussion at

Quote:

This sort of double negative with a positive result is an aspect of the rhetorical technique known as litotes, in which deliberate understatement or denial is used to reinforce a statement. The double negative creates a nuance of meaning that would not be present had the writer just made an affirmative statement such as:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the term “litotes” before.

So taking the original sentence as an example…you didn’t use the word “any” or “none” in front of “review contents.” - so I think your sentence is grammatically correct. It means the same to me as if you said “I wasn’t suggesting that you didn’t read any review contents.”

But if you had said “I wasn’t suggesting that you didn’t read none of the review contents” - then that would be a double negative. Because if you say you read none of the contents, and then say you didn’t read “none” - then that implies you actually read “some.” - Make sense??

I’m not sure, and it’s too late (or too early) for grammatical analysis.

But I still think my original sentence is a double negative. I could run it by the good folks over at English Stackexchange. That’s where I go to ask my silly grammar questions.

Maybe it’s possible it is technically a double negative by grammatical rules. But your sentence passes for me as far as being grammatically correct :smile:

1 Like

I allow pets for a fee and I have had guests bring their cats. Less than dog owners, for sure, but maybe a dozen in the years I have been renting. I even have a repeat guest who always brings her two cats. I have a inquiry for Christmas who might bring two cats. Plus, we ALWAYS travel back and forth from the Catskills with our cat.

That said, only one guest has ever let their cats outside - the repeat one actually - and I do NOT advise it.

2 Likes

Double negative doesn’t necessarily mean grammatically incorrect. And I asked on English SE chat. I got one person who said it was a double negative, “but a grammatically correct one”. Everyone seems very concerned about grammatical correctness. :slight_smile:

ADDENDUM: I stopped by the chat room again just now, and they are arguing about whether my sentence is a double negative. Sigh.