Putting signs around the house?

That’s a really nice house rules/info sheet. Easy to read font, and the change of colors between points helps the readability. Ad not overly lengthy. Sometimes I think when hosts complain about guests not reading the house manual or instructions, it’s because they just type it up in a long list of text and it’s not visually easy to find things or even want to read through it.

1 Like

Thanks! But I can’t take credit - a prior rock star here (konacoconutz, I believe) created it and I just modified it for our needs.

3 Likes

We avoid having signs plastered all over the place; seems very un-homey to us. We have printed up our house rules in a two-sided, four-panel brochure with some nice photos on the front. We leave one on all nightstands and several more around the house. This way, they are handy if someone has a question about light switches or the wi-fi password. It has all necessary phone numbers. We also leave a few small (2 x 3 or 3 x 5) laminated instruction cards about some specific things; alarm use, recycling, French press (no wasteful pods or filters) etc.

The only thing we’ve had issue with is recycling and rubbish. About 25% of guests just don’t get it and leave rubbish, garbage and recycling all mixed up. About 25% actually take their rubbish with them, our favorites. And the rest do pretty well, if not perfectly.

I think having house manuals handy in every room has saved us lots of issues and they’re small and unobtrusive.

1 Like

Wow, I can’t imagine guests reading through all that. Seems like an awful lot of stuff there that’s unnecessary. The brand of coffee beans you use and that they are oily and stick together? Suggesting that the chalkboard might be useful to write a shopping list?

I think if you eliminated the extraneous information, maybe they would be more likely to read and comply with the recycling info. However, I do realize a lot of people have o environmental awareness, don’t care, and just chuck everything in the garbage can.

1 Like

3 Likes

Sorry if it’s too many words for you muddy but it was meant as a possible alternative for Petrelli to plastering a place with signs. It actually only takes about seven minutes to read and in two years we’ve not had a complaint that the house manual is too complete or too long. I also can’t recall anyone calling and asking a single question about how the house “works”. I wonder how many hosts can make that claim. And, if I leave a jar of coffee bean, or anything outside of it’s packaging, I like to let people know what it is.

As I said, this was a suggestion for someone that was looking for advice. I really don’t see why you felt the need to criticize my methods of hosting.

Sorry if you misunderstood- I certainly wasn’t criticizing your methods of hosting, and I’m not someone who minds reading- I’m a person who’ll read the back of the cereal box just to have something to read while eating breakfast.
My comments had to do with the fact that hosts are always complaining that guests don’t read and to keep written info as simple as possible. If that hasn’t been an issue for you, that’s great.

1 Like