Put a beady eye over this review before I post please. Advice appreciated:)

Hey everyone,
Havnt been on in while as I have been away for a long holiday (Not long enough)!
Now back to the grind;)

Please tell me if this review is too harsh to write about previous guests:

X & Z stayed with us for 2 nights. The communication at the start of the booking was good. However, the girls turned up an hour or so later than expected, without letting us know. During their stay, X only said ‘hi’, but her friend Z seemed friendly and chatted a bit (This is no problem for me, as I respect if some guests like their privacy). They are new to Airbnb, so unfortunately must not have read the rules. There was a lot of noise after 11pm until after 1pm, with the girls drying their hair, or banging doors. Sometimes the door banging would go on throughout the night, if they got up to use their bathroom. So after 2 nights of this I was not a happy camper with lack of sleep. One of them was good at putting their breakfast dishes away, but one just left for me to clean up. On a positive note before they left, Z and I had a lovely chat about travelling. However, the room was left messy, with rubbish strewn on the floor and on surfaces (Even though there are bins provided). I think if these girls grasped what airbnb was about, and followed the rules they would be fine guests. We wish them the best:)

I think im factual enough, what you think? Or should I just not write one at all?

Please leave a review. I’d leave out comments about how “friendly” or chatty they are. No need to speculate about if they read the rules, they didn’t follow them, that’s all that matters. And again speculating on grasping what air is about. Maybe they do and they are just slobs. I don’t want to be next to tutor them.

3 Likes

Who has the Air account? - X or Y? And which one left the dishes for you to clean up?

Ms X is the one with the account. I have a feeling she was the one who left the dishes, but i cannt be 100% sure :slight_smile:

ps: I would explain further, but I do not want to get personal :wink:

Hi @sunshine1!

I think you can cut out a lot of the details. The bottom line is, they were not a good fit. A lot of details can come across as hysterical (not that you are).

I don’t think showing up an hour late without notice is extraordinary. Much later, then yes, they should contact you. Maybe that’s because I’m from an area with lots of traffic and delays are expected.

For myself, I would have a hard time putting something in a review that I didn’t express to their face. I know it’s uncomfortable - but did you mention the door-slamming, and your need for sleep, to them? Often times people just are not aware. It’s not always the case that they are slamming the door and chuckling to themselves at the disruption they are causing you.

And of course, we all know, no one really reads the rules, or much else in the listing. The morning after the first night it would have been appropriate to tell them that you were not able to sleep because of the noise. The dishes and the trash - that’s grade-school manners; they should have known. Of course, the best time would have been when it was happening. Not that its’ easy to do, and I make the same mistake, too, letting them know they were disturbing you would have been easier than stewing about it. In my experience most people are thankful to know and very apologetic. Also, often times, people come from environments that are very loud and aren’t bothered by noise and don’t have a clue that others are. We had a long-term roommate that, when I apologized for some extraordinary noise our family made, acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. At the same time she banged around and stomped around clueless until I let her know about it. Every morning she left she would slam the front door like crazy - as I was recovering from surgery it was jolting. However, I just let her know, and she stopped.

Whatever you do, I was pare it way down to two or three sentences. “While I enjoyed some conversation with guest and her friend, they were not a good fit for sharing my place. They were very loud late into the night, didn’t clean up after breakfast, and left trash all over the room (instead of in the bin).”

13 Likes

@sunshine1
Dcmooney nails it! Perfectly worded and expresses what you said more succinctly. You must post a review, it’s important for the community to be accurate and to help other hosts.

3 Likes

I would remove these two sentences:

“During their stay, X only said ‘hi’, but her friend Z seemed friendly and chatted a bit (This is no problem for me, as I respect if some guests like their privacy).”

“On a positive note before they left, Z and I had a lovely chat about travelling.”

If your house rules does say something about quiet hours then I would omit “They are new to Airbnb, so unfortunately must not have read the rules” I would edit that to say “At the time of booking, they checked the box that said they agreed to house rules; however, they did not abide by all of them.”

Everyone has to check the box…correct???

This is what I would write;

X & her friend stayed with us for 2 nights. The communication at the start of the booking was good; however, the girls turned up an hour or so later than expected, without letting us know. At the time of booking, they checked the box that said they agreed to house rules; however, they did not abide by all of them. There was a lot of noise that began after 11pm and continued until after 1pm, with the girls drying their hair, or banging doors. Sometimes the door banging would go on throughout the night, if they got up to use their bathroom.

So after 2 nights of this I was not a happy camper with lack of sleep. One of them was good at putting their dishes away, but the other just left for me to clean up. The room was left messy, with rubbish strewn on the floor and on surfaces (even though there are bins provided). I think if these girls grasped what airbnb was about, and followed the rules they would be fine guests. We wish them the best:)

3 Likes

Too long. See previous wording by Dcmooney

1 Like

I think this review ist to long and there are to many details. When I would read this as a guest, I would be concerned that you are a picky host. How abot writing shortly that the guests xxx (something positive) but that they xxx (short about the noise during the night, the mess and the late arrivel. You could put this in one sentence.

3 Likes

Dc, you always nail it ! I like that review, its simple and shorter than my babbling lol…Is it copyrighted? :wink: lol
Yes, from experience I am always upfront. We did tell them from the start about dishes, banging doors, noise of hair dryer etc, but they choose to ignore me. I have had previous guests that have done the same, but when I have took them aside to explain, they were excellent with the rules after. I think these guys just didnt care:(

3 Likes

Well, if you told them and they ignored you, then let if fly, @sunshine1! Happy to help.

Also I would add “in spite of my asking them to not…” or some such, to make it clear to other hosts that you were forthright, yet ignored.

2 Likes

Yes, sometimes, they just don’t. Thankfully for all of us that is the anomaly.

I think the detail also depends on whether or not you want to dissuade the late night hair blow drying and banging of doors from other potential guests who are reading reviews. I have read many posts on here that a certain culture tends to do this - so if you tend to get many bookings from this particular culture then you can nip it in the bud (hopefully) before booking.

DC- good point. Many are oblivious to the noise if they are from a culture where this is the norm.

Nice one Cabinhost.

Yes the rules should be even clearer now, but still people wont read aghhh.
I had new bookings also lately, which had several reviews, but still didnt read the rules!
I think its important us hosts are truthful, without feeling guilt. Hosts that just leave, ‘guests were great’ are just lazy and not considerate of the next hosts who have them.

1 Like

Yeah guests don’t read the rules but they do read the detailed reveiws…ha! I would not be put off as a guest if you mentioned in a review about the blow drying late at night and slamming doors.

2 Likes

I would prefer no-one come stay with me,if they like to pretend they are in a building site lol :joy:

3 Likes

Hi Susanne, I’m so easy going that sometimes I am horizontal lol, but I think each host, or person has a bug bear, in which some people may say we are picky :wink: That’s the thing with air, we hope to get the perfect match :wink:

1 Like

DC took the words right out of my mouth. This is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Welcome back Sunshine! We’ve missed you. Your holiday looked fab! :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks Kona, You make me envious every time I see them pics!!!

3 Likes