Put a beady eye over this review before I post please. Advice appreciated:)

Exactly. I would add that to DCs. I did speak to them about the disruptions but guests unfortunately ignored me.

This will communicate in no uncertain terms that these are guests we don’t want to host! If enough of these young travelers get the message, they will wise up and change their ways, in theory.

1 Like

Wait till you here this though. I had guests today i thought i would despise. They only sent a few line when booking, telling me nothing about their trip. Anyway. I actually dreaded them coming. We actually had to contact air as we hadnt heard anything about an arrival time since March.
Anyway, just several hrs before these guys were to turn up, we reached each other. ( Me ringing them). It turned out they are maturer and not used to the internet.Usually I would be blah blah blah, but as soon as I met these guys, even though they hardly spoke a word of English as well, i loved them. I cant explain it, i guess you just know.
To cut a long story short. He played the guitar, well like i have never heard before since …well Nick Cave ( and the bad seeds), look it up if you dont know.
Anyway im gabbling again. Im just saying that you just dont know who you’ll get. The ones with the best communication can be the worst, and the ones like ive met tonight, well lets just say, im glad our paths have crossed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

sunshine1,

I agree with everyone’s comments; brevity is your friend.

Also, I’m sure you didn’t mean to, but calling the guests girls comes across to me as demeaning and sexist. Every place you’ve written “the girls” you can substitute “they”.

Ahem! On behalf of ‘maturer’ persons, I object :slight_smile:

It might well be that your guests are not used to the internet but I find that youngsters are usually a lot worse. After all, we ‘maturers’ have been using the internet for twenty years - twenty year olds haven’t!

4 Likes

@sunshine1, I have found this to be so true as well. I’ve said it many times on different threads. Sometimes I connect with people very well in the booking process but it’s not a love connection when they show up, and the opposite has been true. Now I don’t even think about it. I have lost patience a few times with those that ask 100 questions, but sometimes even those guests have turned out to be just fine.

It’s a risky business, that’s all -

1 Like

The young ones are the ones who will text after they have left the house or arrived at the airport asking for the address. So much for self-reliant and tech savvy…

4 Likes

Have you ever read those complaints online by people who get scammed by fake hosts? They usually give the game away by saying things like ‘my boyfriend and I booked a place for spring break…’ that give away their ages.

I’ve never seen a scam complaint that says ‘my husband and I booked a place when we went to visit our grandchildren…’

:wink:

1 Like

It is a bit late, but here are the five cents I have to throw into the pot! I would leave the girls a private message with suggestions on being a better guest - quiet hours, slamming doors, loud conversations, tidying up. It would help them become better guests - if they want.

We have a laminated 8x10 single sided double spaced large print list of “Simple Vacation Rules to Live By” that is left in plain sight for our ABB guests. We cover the basics which in the hot steamy south includes how to keep the summer house temperature just right. We remind them to use the coasters as to not leave white rings on furniture (and the coasters are very nice and sit right on the tables). “What to do if” a spill happens, something breaks or rips or tears. Pool: here are the hours. Grill: if you make it dirty clean it off. Trash: empty as often as necessary and take all the trash out when you leave with a note to locate the bins. Finally - “Keep it Clean” we ask them to remove makeup using the colored facecloths not the white; we ask them to leave dirty wet towels in the tub. We don’t ask them to remove bed linens - we want to see if there is a stain so we can treat it before it’s permanent and it’s easy to forget to do that if it’s lumped up in a pile. We leave a final short note: “We thank you as this will help us thoroughly clean before the next Vacationers arrive. We try to keep it simple. It is, after all, your vacation time. Call us if you need us.”

3 Likes