Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Pros & Cons of Pre-approval

Because I’m a bit of a control freak and what to make sure the guest and I are clear on what the rental entails and the house rules I do not IB. I’m also uncomfortable with pre-approvals just hanging out there waiting to for the potential guest to make up their mind.

What if I don’t pre-approve? Seems like it would be no biggie. If they want to book they will, right?

Just this morning I had an inquiry requesting info re: time and distance from my place to a local university where they will be attending a graduation. I sent them the info. I haven’t heard back from them which is fine with me. In the meantime I get a text from Air saying “you can pre-approve so your guest can book when they are ready.”

I don’t get it, what’s the point? Is it that hard for them to send me another message to say they want to stay? What is saved? Is there a rating benefit to the host?

Just ignore it. You answered and that’s enough.

At first, I would pre-approve at the same time I answered the Inquiry but it rarely panned out in getting a booking. Two responded that they found another accommodation but generally, I would be waiting for a response that never came.

I realized inquiries were generally from people still shopping around. Pre-approving made me feel vulnerable…and needy.

No more pushing silly buttons.

If I am willing to accept the guest, I respond by answering their question(s) and add that if they would like to go ahead with reserving their dates, that would be fine with me.

IMO, preapprovals make no sense. Like @SandyToes, I did it a few times initially, but quickly realised that. Make the guest place a booking request, make sure he/she has answered all your questions and you’re comfortable accepting his/her booking, and then accept. That’s the way to go. Anything else is just out of order, and amounts to unnecessarily giving up control of the situation. And as a host, you don’t want to do that.

Oh, and it’s almost redundant to say so, but in my experience, inquiries most of the time don’t lead to anything, regardless.

I responded to a couple of inquries last week within the hour. However I was dinged a couple of percentage points on response time because I didn’t decide (accept/decline/special offer).

I recovered the points when I had a couple more inquiries and responded definitively.

Tried calling about this a couple of times but the wait was too long.

Another initiative we know nothing about?

I think they are looking for ways to force people into instant booking.

I’ve decided it’s a good thing I could give a rat’s derriere about points or being a SH or any of that other stuff. Frankly don’t care if I rent my place out or not. Saves me cleaning it. :sunglasses:

It’s awesome to have that freedom isn’t it. I always feel so bad when I read here or elsewhere about people dependent on Airbnb income.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!