Proper insurance just doubled my rates

My homeowner’s policy through USAA covers my BnB since I live on site. I’ve asked them several times since I started hosting in late 2015 and they’ve always said it’s fine. However, other hosts here have had them say they don’t cover Stars, so perhaps the policy depends on the state (I’m in WA).

Lonestar, can you share who your policy is through? I’m in Texas too, and it’s time to start shopping again.

https://www.hpfm.com/products/business-insurance-bed-breakfast

KCC, and lose everything you have/own when the renter sues you…

I don’t want to be flippant and there is no excuse for not having additional insurance outside of money. But in TX almost everything I have is protected from a suit. It’s called being “judgment proof.” My pension, one vehicle, my home, up to $30,000 of household items, and all of my savings because all my savings are in a retirement account.

TX has a few other things that would be exempt that sound straight out of a TX stereotype book: 2 firearms, sporting equipment, tools of my trade, 2 horses and 12 head of cattle.

Given my small net worth it would be very unfortunate if anyone who stayed here wanted to sue me. Also compared to other places, risks are lower. One story, no balcony, ice once every two years, flat, no pool, no swing tied to the front oak tree, etc. There’s no getting blood from a turnip and I’m a turnip. Maybe I’ll start calling my rental the Turnip Room.

3 Likes

Fitting, since a lot of hosts think their guests are turnips.

3 Likes

I could turn down the sheet and leave a turnip on the pillow and call it Turnip Turndown.
If I had a lot of young energetic guests in a party town like South Beach I could call it Turnip Turn-up.

3 Likes

And when you clean between guests…Turnip Turnover.

3 Likes