Problems with Eastern European Guests/hosts

Exctly ha ha, agree Kirsty. Some here would hope members fail in my view, as they don’t agree. And yep so many different views, no one could win with the knockers, this group wouldn’t exist. And if some who seem want to censor everything, nothing would get spoken about and this forum would die as no one would chat, as everything would be over censored, so as no one gets offended/butthurt or hurt feelz.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. This sounds just like it came from… You know who…Well never mind. Disgusting.

1 Like

I use Instant Book - so therefore, yes I do.

2 Likes

Maybe this is a different issue for those who rent in their living space vs. those who rent whole apartments/houses?

I’ve started a forum that is closed to the public and requires verification that a member is an Airbnb host to join.
If anyone wants the link, let me know.
I love this forum, but some things I don’t want in public view.,

1 Like

Definitely. Our rental is separate but almost next door so it’s not exactly like having someone living with you but it’s pretty close :slight_smile:

overall its very different to rent in your own house or separate unit where we can not really control guests. Thats why i would never put a separate house on IB.

1 Like

Personally, I can’t imagine having anyone using my kitchen, etc. regardless of where they’re from.

So, in my case, I can only imagine renting a separate space, and, as such, I don’t particularly care who stays there as long as they don’t damage the place.

It has worked out thus far.

1 Like

I agree felixcat, I wouldn’t want anyone to share my home. But because our rental is just a few steps away, I feel that I can (mostly) be aware of what’s going on there. For example, guests would have a very hard time sneaking in extra people. And I’d know straight away if there was excessive noise for another example.

I much prefer it this way. Just like I couldn’t have guests sharing my home (although I ran a traditional B & B for many years) I wouldn’t be comfortable if I wasn’t nearby.

1 Like

Likewise. Ours must pass a shared gate to their rental behind our home.

1 Like

I cannot conceive of doing a shared space either. Although it has occurred to me that if my kids were to move far away I could use their room. It has a separate entrance to the outside. I would never allow kitchen use. I’d put a kettle and microwave in there and call it good.

2 Likes

I think I would need a fairly large home to do the shared living space. I wouldn’t want a small space where guests can hear my every phone conversation, etc. And they would need their own private bath.

Felix - yes, I believe many issues are very different from those who share spaces versus those who rent out entire spaces. Plus, markets vary with what kind of travelers they attract. Some hosts will say parents with teenagers tend to leave the place in bad shape. And then others will say parents with toddlers are the worst culprits. I think a lot can vary in beach areas versus mountain areas, city versus rural, etc.

Do you think that the price point makes a difference too? I might be fooling myself but I suspect that people are more respectful of a place that is costing them $125 as night as opposed to $25 a night.

Yes, i think you are fooling yourself:) My 300$ a day house was trashed to no belief, no respect was there

What did they do to it?

I guess you’re right! How about I change that to the ‘price per person’ price?

1 Like

I think in general the higher the price point receives better guests. But of course that is not foolproof such as in Yana’s situation. Some guests will still find it worthwhile to lose their deposit and just do what they want.

I do believe a lot of it has to do with setting boundaries in the beginning. I know most hosts’ experience is that discount seekers are bad news. I agree that some are bad news and I stop entertaining those when I sense that. But the discount seekers I accept (only for last minute bookings) have been great. I think it is because my price is set high to begin with. I have so much room to discount and still make plenty of profit. And they have to give me something in return. They just don’t get a discount for asking. For example, if it is a couple, will they only use one bedroom? If it is a family of four then they need to book another night, etc. No groups of my max 6 get discounts out all.

Then there are those who ask for a discount through Air and FK and I tell them they are choosing to use a site to book my property that charges booking fees. If they are wanting to save money then they shouldn’t be using sites that charge them to use the site. Some pick up on the hint, others don’t. Good riddens. Don’t ask me to discount if you are willing to pay FK $100 to book. I will only reduce rates if that is my regular rate anyway.

3 Likes

When I first started on ABB, that’s what I thought also, so I was renting the whole house, but that required me to go stay elsewhere, I don’t have any family here, so I was imposing on friends. Finally I decided to give the house-share thing a try and found I liked it better. Less moola that way, but I don’t have to be very inconvenienced. My listing pretty much indicates that guests are encouraged to be out of the house lol. In fact I say “this is the perfect Airbnb rental for guests who want a cozy, clean comfortable place to sleep after their daily adventures”.

1 Like

Yes, my guests have their bathroom, I don’t use it when they are here, and they don’t use mine.

1 Like

Air could add a “flag this host” for any guest who feels they were singled out for discrimination. They may, unfortunately, be forced to take some unpleasant steps like forcing everyone to accept Instant Book.