Probably a dumb question, but a competitive equestrian wouldn’t expect to to bring horse here?

It’s an instant booking. The equestrian and her coach are staying here for 6 days to compete in a horse show.

I’m assuming that someone who is serious about horse shows would have a place local to board the horse.

I live in a small NJ town, not a rural area. I thought about asking her but the question seems too stupid. Maybe someone on here knows about the sport?

I’d be keeping a close eye on your listing after they check in. Bales of hay disguised as Samsonite suitcases might be a giveaway… :wink:

JF

7 Likes

You need to hear from Military Horse Girl! I’m sure she’ll be along soon.

2 Likes

It never hurts to ask questions beforehand.

I had a potential guest last March, who told me he was a gift-booth vendor at our nearby town’s St. Patrick’s Day street festival. I asked, if he was towing a large trailer that contained his tent and sales items.

When he said yes, I realized our driveway was too small to park his truck and trailer overnight. Plus, our strict HOA rules do not allow parked trailers in our community.

It would have been a disaster, if he would have arrived with his truck and trailer, with no other parking option.

1 Like

I highly doubt they’ll expect to keep the horse at your listing as horse owners tend to be highly aware of city ordinances on livestock, etc. However, the need to park a horse trailer might be a possibility you should discuss.

1 Like

I married into a family with a competitive equestrian 40 years ago. They didn’t take their trailer or horse anywhere. They had hired help that trailered the horse to events, stabled it, fed it, etc.
Not everyone has those kinds of resources but they aren’t going to be bringing the horse to your property. I’ve had numerous people (probably 30) bring trailers to my property and so far every one has mentioned it in advance.

2 Likes

I’ve had horse people stay attending a local training place. They left their horses there and use the horse float as a temporary stable. A horse person would definitely want to know what your setup was before bringing their horse to avoid accidental harm etc. I think you are okay but it wouldn’t hurt to ask “Where are you stabling your horse because obviously we have no facilities here?”

1 Like

I doubt very much a equestrian and coach would bring their most likely very high end horse to graze in your front yard, I’m quite sure it will be booked into a stable.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the sport. But my rental is 16 miles from an international Equestrian center that has tons of horse shows. I have had riders and their coaches stay. And they have never ever brought a horse on the property. They always drop the horse off first. Although…if it makes you feel better to ask, then go ahead. They won’t be offended, as they realize some people don’t know anything about the sport.

2 Likes

Reminds me of those rich people who Fedex their luggage from one hotel to the next so they don’t have to check it in or carry it through the airport. I wonder if you can Fedex a horse?

2 Likes

Hi GardenGnome
I host on a large rural property and don’t advertise stabling facilities or paddocks. I have had guests with horses and they usually ask about stabling facilities before they book. In your case perhaps you had better check. Nothing worse than having a float blocking your driveway with an over anxious horse in it.
No questions are stupid, the more information a host has about their guest the more we can accommodate them correctly, with no misunderstandings which generally lead to bad reviews.
All the best
Al

1 Like