Preferring vaccinated guests -what airbnb says

All i could find was “Western Montana”. Super Sleuths on Twitter or herein will eventually find.

This is the link; some of the replies are worth reading.
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1396631592068472840?s=21

1 Like

Watch out! Someone might just call you a racist in this crazy world we line in now. :rofl:

Supposedly the listing was removed for violating Airbnb TOS. From the Buzzfeed article posted above:

“ Airbnb spokesperson Ben Breit told BuzzFeed News the listing for the cabin was suspended Sunday night “for promoting COVID misinformation in violation of our content policy.”

That policy forbids Airbnb hosts from posting content that “encourages guests to ignore applicable health or travel advisories” or “includes any health information specific to COVID-19,” among other things.”

Yes. I think we both read that but it doesn’t preclude it from being on other sites.

I assume (as an epidemiologist) That AirBnb includes this because some people are hosting in their own houses. If you are not and you/the cleaners are using resonable precautions between guests (wear a mask and gloves; open the windows; sanitize high touch, bathroom, and kitchen, surfaces) I wouldn’t worry about exposing yourself or others to COVID because the risk is pretty low. And of course it’s not just COVID, there are still other infectious diseases in the world, including those spread by contact with surfaces and not vaccine preventable.

Vaccinated-only requirements are also going to exclude families with kids.

3 Likes

The Airbnb glove requirement has always puzzled me. It protects ME, the host and cleaner, but however does it protect guests?
I’m putting my clean gloves on dirty surfaces as I clean them, moving whatever to the next surface I clean, etc., and as an ending flourish, pushing the door handle shut with thoroughly contaminated gloves.
I guess the gloves being exposed to sanitizer on their surface as I go helps a little???
Anyway, I consider it hygiene theater.

6 Likes

Although from a long term herd prospective, I were foolish enough to go unvaccinated, I guess wearing the gloves protects me, and therefore I have less chance of getting sick and infecting someone else in future.
Or you could clean, then put on a fresh pair of gloves, then run around sanitizing. Doesn’t seem much different than sanitizing with thoroughly washed hands, however. I guess the gloves would remind you not to scratch your nose or whatever whilst sanitizing.
As noted previously, I am a very process-focused person. Sigh.

1 Like

My hands are pretty rough most of the year. Cuts, torn cuticles, messed up nails, etc. Gloves of any kind help protect my hands and keep them from being exposed to anything from cooties to chemicals. As for Airbnb’s policies, they are unenforceable so easily ignored.

1 Like

That’s true, gloves primarily protect the wearer, in terms of cleaning. I wear gloves mostly to protect my skin from the cleaning chemicals and gross stuff, but I use disposals and change them frequently so I’m less likely to spread anything around. Likewise with sponges. In the bathroom, I do sink, shower, toilet and then toss it (biodegrable since I try to be low plastic). New sponge for each bathroom and another for the kitchen. Bleach based products for bathroom and kitchen (some of which need to sit on surfaces for 30 seconds or more). I rent by the month, shorter term I’d probably be doing washable rags instead of sponges but same process. None of this has much to do with COVID because it’s primarily spread by breathing the same air, but GI infections and flu are regularly spread by contaminated surfaces. Masking, improved ventilation, or waiting a couple hours after guests depart are likely your most important practices for reducing COVID exposure.

2 Likes

Good info. I’ve posted one of her links before, but Dr. Annie is my go-to cleaning guru:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m going to peruse that site in depth when I have time, very cool.

The one thing I read through on laundry was odd, though. She showed how little water her machine used to wash some dish towels, saying that wasn’t enough water to clean properly. I just adjust the water level to my liking and thought everyone did- there’s a button for that.

High Efficiency washers don’t use much water. I have one and don’t much care for it. I use “deep water” wash or “bulky items” cycles so much that I’m not being HE.

1 Like

While I don’t have a “high efficiency” one, I an aware that they use little water. I guess they have a sensor that weighs the load and lets in the amount of water it supposedly needs? But if you can also set the water level manually, that’s good.

Honestly, I found some of the water -saver things don’t really save water. Those shower heads that mix air in to “save water”- I’ve always had fairly long hair and I have to stand in the shower twice as long if there’s that kind of shower head, to get the shampoo out of my hair, so there’s no water saving going on.
I suppose they are good for people who turn on the shower water and leave it running for 5 minutes while they fuss around the bathroom, or for teenagers who think they need 2 one hour long showers a day.

And then there’s the low-flush toilets you have to flush twice to take care of it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Logically “Your host is fully vaccinated and we prefer only vaccinated guests.” makes no sense.

You put things in your listing profile to attract guests not shoo them off, especially when the shooing is useless anyways. Think about it logically. Attraction would be to say “We are fully vax’d!” guests who care about this are going to be attracted to your listing. Putting this statement as you wrote it, do you really think unvaccinated guests are going to care? If you ask them they will say they are vaccinated, so you aren’t keeping them away from renting. Unless you are going to make them prove it, what’s the use? It’s an effort in futility that makes no sense in a service industry.

Everyone is taking care of their own health in this. Those that are vax’d have taken care of the issue for themselves and should not care if the host is vax’d or not if they believe in the vaccines.

Those who aren’t vax’d are doing their thing and I certainly don’t think they will care one bit whether you are vax’d or not and they know you can’t prove they are or aren’t so will not care about your preferences anyways.

2 Likes

Actually hosts do put things in their listing to shoo off guests. We want to shoo off guests who are planning parties, who are allergic to pets if the host has pets, if they have a history of leaving complaining reviews for hosts about things that were obvious had they bothered to read the listing description.

We want to shoo off guests who book a place in the tropics or out in the countryside and will then freakout if they see an ant. We want to shoo off guests who think they can book a remote, secluded listing 2 miles down a rocky dirt road and think they can get there when it’s raining or snowing in their little low-rider city car.

Hosts saying they are fully vaccinated and prefer vaccinated guests will hopefully shoo off those who think Covid is a hoax and that vaccines are a plot to alter your DNA. Which is pretty much the point. Sure, some guests might lie about it, but I predict that those Covid deniers and antivaxxers will see it and decide not to book with the enemy. Which is just fine with a lot of us.

11 Likes

I look at adding vaccinated and prefer guests that are as trying to help attract the right types of guests.

3 Likes

Yes Zilla, saying you’re vaccinated is a positive move letting guests know who care about that, renting from you is a safety move

. Siaying you preferr guests with vaccination is just wishful thinking You’re trying to keep the unvaccinated out of your rental they don’t give a damn whether you’re vaccinated or not so that’s just falling on deaf ears anyways.

There’s a disgusting trait among a lot of hosts trying to discriminate, taking people’s money on Airbnb means you’re in the hospitality business. All you read about is hosts wanting five-star reviews yet they’re quick to discriminate as many ways as they can whether it’s looking for the same political affiliation and ridiculous things like that. People either be in the hospitality industry and be hospitable and welcome people or get out.

1 Like

It’s not about discriminating for me, it’s trying to get the right guests for the space that’s part of my house.
If one doesn’t allow parties, pets, smoking or kids, is that discrimination? We all have to set limits on what we prefer in our rentals or our personal homes.

4 Likes

All you read about?

Filtering out guests because they won’t be a good fit for the listing or the host because of their attitude is mostly about avoiding problems, not discriminating. And I have no qualms about discriminating against someone who would make it evident that they are racist, homophobic, a gun nut, or any other attitude I find repugnant.

10 Likes

Sorry, I feel a bit daft but what do you mean by ‘virtue signalling’? :slight_smile: