Power is out on our block

We just had guest check in about 15 mins after the power went out on our apartment block. This is an electric company problem, and sometimes happen in the dead of summer here in Barcelona. The guests are livid, they also did not read the house rules about no smoking and are pissed about that too. They want to cancel, of course. How should I handle this? Have them call/deal with Air bnb directly? Walk them through how to cancel via the website? Thoughts?

In this day and age who smokes in houses. I have the occasional cheeky cig but would never do it indoors. Where are they from? Not your fault electricity is gone. Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be back soon enough if itā€™s the full block that out.

3 Likes

Iā€™d just be rid of them and am so over smoking I donā€™t even want smoker who smoke outdoors in my place. Tell them to call ABB to cancel. Itā€™s probably worth losing money to be rid of them. Maybe youā€™ll get a splendid last minute booking.

4 Likes

Since they have obviously broken house rules about smoking, you can eject THEM, for cause, and they should not get a refund.

1 Like

Itā€™s Spain, we havent got the ā€˜no smokingā€™ memo yet. :joy::joy::joy:

They are Chinese living in Switzerland, which makes the smoking indoors thing even odder.

Apparently its back on now, but they still left. Weird weird guests.

2 Likes

Chinese are hardcore chain smokers. They consider it a ā€œloss of faceā€ to be told they canā€™t smoke.

2 Likes

Wonderful!!

How they do that in Switzerland is beyond me! They must never go anywhere.

I agree with everyone that these people just need to go as I dont need to add to my list of problematic guests as of lately!

They had not smoked inside YET but Im sure that was coming next.

1 Like

Ask them to leave and cancel their own reservation. I donā€™t see this as your responsibility. Good luck, keep us posted!

1 Like

She just called me but I want everything on the Air platform, so I declined.

Do I ā€˜forceā€™ them to cancel or just let it go knowing they are gone? Im leaning towards forcing them to cancel. Should I call Air to log my side, not sure I care enough to ā€˜fightā€™?

Iā€™d leave the ball in their court and tell them everything has to be through ABB.

1 Like

Iā€™ve often been worried about the power going out but it hasnā€™t happened yet. Here, it can go off when thereā€™s a tiny tropical storm. So Iā€™ve provided flashlights, plus games and books. I donā€™t know if that would keep guests happy in an outage but I hope so.

Weā€™ve had the water go off a few times but weā€™ve been told in advance so Iā€™ve been able to forewarn the guests and theyā€™ve been fine about it. Thank goodness.

Stuff happens. Call Air and they will rehome them.

1 Like

Oh my goshā€¦a repeat of damn smokers!! Sorry you are going through this again.

I would call to get my side of the story documented first. I would tell Air exactly what time the power came back on. That way these people wonā€™t get away with exaggerating how uninhabitable the place was. If they bother with trying to cancel, they will most likely use the angle that place was not as advertised. Then again, maybe Air has some clause that says power outage is just part of lifeā€¦

And definitely state that they did not read house rules about smoking, and thatā€™s probably the real reason why they were livid.

Please keep us updated.

1 Like

I think the bigger issue is the ā€˜No Smokingā€™. The power thing was just their way out. I agree not having power is a bit unsettling, and has happened to us in hotels. Maybe my response is different, in that I would give it a hour or two before seeking out alternative accommodations.

@jaquo Iā€™m sure your guests would be more freaked about a storm than the power outage. Plus, I canā€™t imagine people coming to So Flo and not knowing the potential risk for Hurricanes :grin:

@felixcat Totally agree stuff happens, I just think these guests may have been over exaggerating the ā€˜stuffā€™ part because they wanted a smoking accomodation

@cabinhost Right!! Iā€™m going to put a no smoking sign in my photos going forward! They actually asked me via Air message about the smoking and that they didnā€™t read the rules closely. Oddly it was the Dad that smoked, throw back to our other smoking guests.

1 Like

AND I just got a message:

I tried to cancel the reservation, and I found out that it is non-refundable. Is it possible to negotiate about this problem? Hope you can understand! the problem is not caused either by you or by meā€¦ Iā€™m so sorry about the last minute cancellation

I donā€™t want to dealā€¦UGH

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d do, maybe ignore. They just want to smoke. See if air contacts you.

2 Likes

Donā€™t you really want to write back and say ā€œNo, the problem is caused by you not reading my listing and seeing that there is No smoking here.ā€ Ugh is right. Maybe your listing title could be ā€œBeautiful Non-smoking apartmentā€¦ā€

4 Likes

I just added ā€˜Historicā€™ to the title after some people from Michigan slammed me for my flat/building being ā€˜oldā€™ā€¦um, yes it is 150+ yrs old unlike you suburban tract home

2 Likes

If you decide to let them back in, make the smoker sign something that he will not smoke and if he does, you will collect damages through Air. Being Chinese, theyā€™ll be loathe to tell their dad what to do.

There is a ZERO percent chance I am letting them stayā€¦I agree that there is no way the Father will not smoke.

1 Like