Pot smoking guests in Washington

I’m a bit late to the conversation but have some anecdotes to add.

I started hosting in Seattle WA in 2015 and advertised as a 420-friendly listing. Maybe 1/2 of my guests smoked or ate edibles. They would often leave their leftovers behind for me since they couldn’t take it on the airplane. Now maybe 1 in 10 of my guests do. Is pot tourism waning now that it is legal in more states? Could be, or it could be that I’ve raised my prices and fixed up my listing some.

I used to allow my guests to smoke inside (I rent a basement apartment in my house), but asked them to smoke outside once I had kids.

2 Likes

I get “leftovers” all the time for the same reason - I usually just pass them on to the next guests (that partake) and they are over the moon!

3 Likes

This 60 year old would love some pot smoking guests, legal or not. Better that than alcohol.

6 Likes

Everyone wants the link to your listing now…:joy:

2 Likes

I’ve seen that in pot-legal states, some hosts use “420-friendly” as a selling point.

1 Like

:grimacing: Oh geez! I would happily spread the wealth of “extras” if anyone wants to stay! Ha!
(always been nervous to share my listing since this forum comes up so much during google searches!)

I do, it’s not in my title anymore, but in first line of description. Also mentioned in house rules.

1 Like

Yes, my guests were smoking pot as the ashtray confirms. I allow it but I have no desire to encourage it even at the expense of reduced revenue.

And that’s the great thing about Airbnb. Every host can do what they feel comfy with. There are plenty of hosts that don’t mind so why should a guest book with you and do something you aren’t comfortable with? Why would someone book a place that says non smoking then smoke? Because they are jerks. Or like the assistance animal debate. In most places there are pet friendly listings so why do some insist on taking animals where they aren’t welcome?

5 Likes

Pot smokers are the best guests, they don’t puke up alcohol, they are quite and tend to be relaxed overall. I would choose a pothead over a drunk anyday.

RR

8 Likes

We live and host in Colorado. I’m asthmatic and cigarette smoke bothers me greatly but marijuana does not. Our space claims ‘no smoking allowed’ but we do mention that we are 420 friendly. The folks who read through our entire listing will notice that pot is allowed. SO FAR this has worked well for us and we haven’t experienced any issues. We live pretty close to Red Rocks Amphitheater (a popular concert venue) so it’s hard to ignore the competitive edge we get by allowing folks to partake.

I have stayed at a handful of Airbnb’s in Colorado in the last couple of years when we go up to the mountains for the weekend. Most of them are strictly no smoking of any kind. In fact, we’re staying at one this weekend (host lives on property) that claims they will turn any guests away that so much as smell like weed. As others have said, to each its own!

2 Likes

Exactly, some hosts just look for reasons not to host. It is just baffling to me

RR

4 Likes

I’m not looking for reasons not to rent to someone but I don’t want to actively look for pot smoking guests and more than I want to market to partiers.

I was not referring to you specifically. As often does around here threads can go a little sideways. It’s nothing personal.

RR

I’ve just read through this entire thread but I admit that I’ve skimmed a bit. So apologies if I’ve missed it but I don’t see why exactly you object to guests smoking outside? You said earlier that you might ban smoking at your rental - did you do that?

1 Like

My husband and I own a small house that we decided to list on Airbnb. I thought my husband was nuts…we live in a very small rural town between 2 slightly larger rural towns. I couldn’t imagine anyone coming here! But then he added the kicker. Let’s make it a 420 friendly bnb! I can’t tell you how many friends for life we have made, how many days we have booked or how much fun we have had hosting some of the most diverse people who have literally always left our home as they found it…(with the exception of maybe 1). We are the ONLY 420 friendly Airbnb within 100 miles of anywhere and have made the money to prove it! Our guests are not destroying anything, they aren’t drinking alcohol and falling into furniture…they are enjoying the legal plant they came to Colorado for…as there are really limited places you can actually consume cannabis. We love our business and the people who support it! We even allow smoking of cannabis (only) INSIDE!

6 Likes

We leave small bowls of candy, chocolate and always give a “welcome gift” of their choosing! The most memorable things, even for a cannabis user, lol, are the little things!

We had one regular guest who was nice enough but kept leaving a strange smell in our Casita. I had to keep all the doors open to air it out after he checked out. Eventually it got worse and one day I felt sticky stuff all over the kitchen sink, counter, pots/pans etc. It was not visible but sticky. We msged to ask what r substance was, but never got a reply. Without knowing, we didn’t know how to clean it up. Scribing didn’t help. It was like pine cone sap. After he did it again, I was furious, I told my daughter about it and she checked online. Turned out to be cannabis wax. She helped me clean everything with rubbing alcohol. Hubby promptly blocked him. I can’t have that nasty stuff in the plumbing, accumulating dirt n clogging up the pipes. Ok I m done venting.

We just had a group stay for 4 days and they smoked weed in our non-smoking house the entire time, every smoke detector in our home was taken down by them. The smell was sickening strong , we had to wash everything, including the towels/linens they didn’t use and shampoo the sectional sofa. It took us a full day to get our house in order, we were just thankful we didn’t have a guest coming in the same day. The cleaning fee that they paid didn’t scratch the surface on the actual expense.

Yes, we did put a payment request for the extra cleaning fee, they ignored it. We won’t bother putting in a claim to Airbnb for this as they totally blew us off the last time that this happened.

The only silver lining in the pot cloud was that they left behind a $300 Apple wireless speaker that they are too embarrassed to claim.

1 Like

Our Airbnb is also in Washington. The rules say “No smoking (anything) on premises.” We had two women ask if they could vape and we said “No smoking (anything) on premises” and that was the end of it. So they went out to their car for extended periods of time and I’m sure that’s what happened.