Pot smoking guests in Washington

I have a guest now from Washington DC. They spend all their time outside, only leaving to eat. I do allow smoking outside. I am wondering if they have come on a marijuana vacation since it is legal in my state. I don’t like it, if that’s what’s going on, but how do you feel about this? I imagine that Colorado might have this going on as well.

It’s legal. If you don’t like it, ban all smoking on your property. I have had to do that because of 1 booking that was a nightmare to get rid of the stink. Pot stinks. It gets in your clothes and luggage and in your home.

Florida has only medical marijuana cards and no reciprocity for out of state MD pot cards and no out of state reciprocity. I had one nightmare stinking smelly guest and decided to ban smoking altogether.

1 Like

So far the smell hasn’t been a problem but if it becomes one, then I would have to ban all smoking.

You didn’t say what they are doing outside. You know for sure they are smoking? In any case I don’t really see much of a problem. I don’t find weed to be stinky like tobacco but some people do. As @casailinglady said, you may have to ban smoking on your property. That just seems like another way to be less competitive in a tight market but everyone has to do what they have to do.

4 Likes

I’m a senior, widow and I guess just not used to the idea that guests might come to my state for that purpose. I just wondered how others felt about it and did it create any issues? My currant guests have been very loud late into the night (1a) in spite of my reminder of 10p to 6a quiet time in my house rules.

There’s your real issue - ignoring your house rules. I hope you’ve used Air’s messaging platform to remind them about the quiet time in the house. This way you have documented reasons for kicking them out and keeping the money and reviewing them poorly.

I suspect many of the hosts here are “seniors” (although we probably all think we’re still 35…) and many are without partners. AirBnB has been a great way for me to get out of my own head and meet new people. And this Forum has saved my sanity some days and definitely improved my bookings. :wink:

@KKC and @jaquo - since turning on IB, I’ve had more bookings in 2020 than all combined since 2017. #converted

8 Likes

What? You’ve had more IBs than all your previous bookings total during 2017-2019?

1 Like

It’s legal to smoke pot in D.C. They don’t need to go elsewhere for a marijuana vacation. It’s an odd law where it’s illegal to BUY it outright, but ok to smoke it.

Based on other posts here on the topic I absolutely believe that pot tourism is a thing. It gives you a competitive advantage, for now. Soon enough it will be legal in so many places that you probably won’t find the pot tourists to be as common.

Um, yes. Hence the whinging in prior posts… :flushed:

4 Likes

I know I’ve asked about it before but just wanted to confirm. That is a really dramatic difference. OTOH don’t tell people to IB, you’ll lose your competitive advantage.

4 Likes

Burning flowers is so 20th Century.

2 Likes

So true. In all seriousness, @Blevich, have you considered possibly capitalizing on this surely profitable, though possibly fleeting tourism that has landed in your lap? Just an idea :wink:

I’m thinking a comfy outdoor smoking area, maybe some floor cushions on the patio… A 420-friendly note in the listing… It would, of course, include your personal stipulations and rules regarding it too. By meeting it “head-on”, you could keep the most control and possibly increase your business.

2 Likes

Complimentary eye drops…:rofl:

4 Likes

Absolutely fine. I’m a host, not a cop. I don’t see that I have any right to make any judgment on my guests who are doing something legal and not causing a disturbance.

As @casailinglady says, medicinal is legal here but you can’t walk around for long without your nose telling you that someone is using it for non-medicinal purposes. And I don’t mind the smell at all - that’s just a personal thing.

They’re only smoking, for goodness sake. It will probably only be a matter of time before they stop this malarkey about it being illegal. History tells us that it’s not that long ago when a glass of wine or a gin and tonic was illegal.

Yes, yes, yes! :wink:

3 Likes

Raise the price $20 and provide $10 of snacks.

8 Likes

And for some reason, I keep thinking homemade banana bread :rofl: I have no idea why so specific.

3 Likes

Does vaping inside really leave a mess of some kind?

Not in my experience. My cousin has a son who vapes. It is actually a positive thing when it comes to him (he used to have worse habits), so I have let him vape in my home. It smells like fruity gum when he’s doing it and about 5 seconds later, there is no evidence whatsoever (and I have a nose like a bloodhound). It’s literally just vapor, it doesn’t land anything or leave anything sticky or anything like that. So, it hasn’t bothered me, personally, even in my own home.

I do have it in my house rules for my listings that smoking and vaping must be done outside, but I have no doubt that someone has vaped in my listings and I just don’t know about it. I don’t try to police it because I don’t know if they are vaping or not, so there’s no point. If I could discern that someone had vaped in my listing, that would be different, but my guess is that I can’t tell if it’s happened or not. If I didn’t watch my cousin’s son do it in my living room, I wouldn’t have known. He was just vaping nicotine, not THC, so that might be different or smellier, I’m not sure.

4 Likes

Vaping does leave molecules of residue on surfaces (furniture, walls, windows, etc.). It takes longer to accumulate than from actual smoking, but it’s real. Eventually dust sticks to the residue.

1 Like