Pot smoking guests in Washington

Thank you JJD. Do you think its the same for tobacco and cannabis vaping? I might change my rules to remove the no vaping, but I’m not sure if that will open the door to smoking, which is verboten.
Our last guest left a beautifully packaged and opened vape tbd canna pen in the nightstand drawer…

1 Like

Well, I clean all of those things in between every guest anyway. I have certainly found worst things on my walls and can’t police those things either :wink:

The thing that bothers me the most is cologne. I have no trouble with actual perfume, but my nose is so sensitive that all I can smell after someone uses cologne is the alcohol or whatever the base is that makes it watered down perfume. And aerosol deodorant and stuff. That is the worst and is all over the walls and mirrors.

3 Likes

I’m not positive. However, in my city, even though we are still medical marijuana only, pot is smoked and vaped openly on patios at restaurants and bars. The vaped pot does smell like pot but it is still vapor and doesn’t linger but for a couple of seconds. But I haven’t had anyone do it in my living room (that I know of, lol) so can’t say for sure as I can about regular vaping.

Honestly, with your listing, I would consider it. It’s legal and it’s not a fire hazard. And it’s kind of mostly outside anyway, right? I am sure that many of your guests are sneaking it at your place. It would certainly increase their comfort level if they didn’t have to hide it from you. You could give it a try and see how it works for you and change it back if it doesn’t :woman_shrugging: They would also be more likely to keep it outside if it was not a rule - I’m assuming you have a “no vaping at all” rule or just “no vaping inside” rule?

Now that I’m thinking about it, we had a friend when we still lived in Austin who always vaped pot when we would go to the movies or music shows. I sat right by him and my clothes or hair never smelled like pot later.

Also, in discussing it, I might take the rule off my listings. I am going to think about it. I don’t have a “don’t sit on the tables” rule but they are probably doing that too :woman_facepalming: I would like a test of the pot vapor inside my house first, to see for myself if there is any lingering odor or not though. Now to find a volunteer…LOL.

1 Like

Same guest left some Cartier cologne. I looked it up thinking it was posh, but must have been a fake… I don’t like perfume anymore and I would hope my little rental not to stink of anything except Mrs Meyers Lemon verbena…

I never thought about vaping, I guess I’d better add that. Although with the increasing news of serious lung problems with vaping, I wonder if it will remain popular

I don’t really want to ban smoking but even though it’s legal, I’m don’t want to market to pot smokers.

What about edibles? Will you feel like you need to ban edibles at your listing? And how would you enforce that? It’s an interesting dilemma. If you are uncomfortable with pot and it being legal, it is interesting to find the line where you personally set limits on it, I guess. And, would it be different for you if the person has a prescription - if they are going through chemo and use it to counteract the anorexia that comes with chemo? It’s all a very interesting (and very contemporary!) discussion. I’m not judging your viewpoint, it is just truly interesting times :slight_smile:

I guess there are a lot of things my guests do and choose that I don’t particularly agree with. I’d rather people not bring diet sodas, gas guzzling SUVs or prescription pain killers to my house but…I don’t know…people: can’t live with em, can’t… :woman_shrugging:

I did however delete the Fox News app from all of the Roku TVs :rofl:

This has to do with people making their own vape liquid from recipes posted on the internet. The biggest issue seems to be that some idiots suggested using Vitamin E oil for the vaping liquid, which is atrocious. Inhaling vitamin E oil will definitely kill you. Anyway, I looked into it quite deeply because of my aforementioned relative and it really seems to be more of an internet information problem. As well as big-tobacco losing profits problem.

3 Likes

I am not a senior. I work full time and I will be for more time that I’d like.

I allow smoking on the patio. My next door neighbors smoke pot and sometimes I catch a whiff of that. I don’t like the smell. Not that tobacco is nicer, but it’s different. Pot is very pungent and gets into everything. In California it smelled so bad in the streets. Not so much in Canada, but I guess that’s because it was winter.

Anyway, you can ban smoking pot on the premises or smoking altogether. Your house, your rules.

People don’t go on vacation specifically to a place where marijuana is legal. Nor do people start smoking marijuana, when they never have before, simply because it becomes legal. People have been smoking pot for decaades and decades, regardless of whether it was legal or not.

I’m 70 years old and I couldn’t care less whether anyone smokes pot or not. I allow smoking outside. People who have some objection to pot smoking on a moral basis, or just because they aren’t used to it might do well to inform themselves of the health benefits it has and the fact that pot smokers don’t cause trouble, unless they are just the type of people who would cause trouble even if they didn’t smoke pot.
There’s plenty of seniors who have been smoking pot for the past 50 years.

4 Likes

Definitely (and long before them as well). My mom (who would have been 73 this year) was a card carrying active member of NORML since the 1970s. In fact, when I think “stoner”, I think “boomer” (which is synonymous with senior now). :smile:

I’m not sure of your source on this. My sources are entirely anedotal but I know multiple people who go on weed vacations and I’ve known 3 people who specifically moved to Oregon/Washington for legal weed. I don’t know anyone who never smoked it before who started up just due to legalization but I can tell you that I know a good number who have “come out” now that it’s legal-ish in favor of legalization and showing a willingness to partake where there formerly was none, especially among my teacher friends.

1 Like

This doesn’t surprise me at all. My parents were both teachers and our living room was full of other teachers “getting high” on Friday afternoons. It’s which teachers it was that was a bit surprising. The most conservative-seeming were the first ones in. I kind of grew up thinking it was an occupational hazard or something :woman_shrugging:

My parents were of this belief too. They were anti-alcohol (didn’t even want it in the house) and vegetarians but smoked plenty of pot.

1 Like

My sources are anecdotal as well. It’s just hard for me to believe that anyone would specifically book a vacation somewhere simply because pot is legal there, altho I can see someone who is a pot head wanting to move to a state where it’s legal.
And yes, there is a demographic that will now smoke openly in places where it’s legal, who wouldn’t before. My son-in-law, who has a high-profile job in the recreation sector, told me he would be more inclined to have a toke if it was passed around at a party when it became legalized in Canada. But it’s not like he never smoked a joint before, although as someone with a professional career, he’s not someone who would spend his leisure time being a stoner.

1 Like

But I imagine this could be said about anything that became legal. After prohibition, the bars filled up quite nicely. And when they raised the speed limit, people certainly drove faster. If they remove the leash laws on the public beaches, my dog will run free!

I also knew people who went on vacation specifically to gay friendly places like VT, MA and CA before the Windsor decision.

1 Like

Yes, I often wonder how some people my age seem to have missed the 60’s entirely. It’s like they are part of my parents’ generation.

I think a lot of people who aren’t comfortable with the concept of pot smoking would be quite shocked to know how many people they’ve been interacting with throughout the course of their lives who are pot smokers and always have been.

2 Likes

That seems quite different to me. Gay couples want to feel that they can walk around and act like a couple without getting bad vibes or putting themselves in danger. Being gay is who they are, not something they’ve chosen to do.
Whereas if someone wants to get stoned, they could do it in the privacy of their own home or accomodation, or use edibles- it’s not necessary for them to be obvious about it in public.

Well, and I will admit that my friends and I use to vacation in Mexico and New Orleans because we could drink there legally before turning 21.

I guess some people might do the pot vacation thing. I haven’t lived anywhere as an adult (Austin, Los Angeles, New York) that it was really forbidden, even if it was illegal, so am out of the loop on it being that big of an attraction. It seems like everyone who wants to smoke pot does (and wherever they want) but I guess there are still places where it isn’t as out in the open and might be attractive to those folks.

1 Like

My anecdotal evidence is limited so I turned to some other sources:

1 Like

Oh, I can understand that many could capitalize on marijuana being legal by organizing tours of pot farms, etc. or setting up experiences which utilize marijuana or where pot smokers get to hang with other pot smokers and engage in organized activities. I just think the number of people who would book a vacation in a place where it’s legal simply so that they can sit around by themselves and smoke pot openly would be pretty small. But maybe I’m out of the loop and don’t have a handle on how Americans think.

1 Like