Poor Website design is causing problems

You can just log out of your account and search yourself for your listing as a visitor @RSchnedl

Certainly not inclined to go out of my way to help someone who replies like that I’m afraid.

3 Likes

@helsi, your comment was insulting that is why I responded like I did. First you didn’t read my question and immediately thought I didn’t know how to list the pet fee. That wasn’t the question at all, and then you can’t answer my question and make it out to be because of my response to your insulting response. Don’t put this on me.

@hostairbnbVRBO, what makes that window open where you put that info?

@helsi, I apologize for reacting the way I did, because you might not have realized how insulting your comment was. It is just very frustrating to ask a question and get answers that don’t answer the very precise question.

1 Like

Well, when I go to make the reservation that window pops us.

For me, as a guest, the fees are populated once the guest fills out that window.

@RSchnedl The guest sees the pet fee and extra guests fees, and any other additional fees when they enter the number of guests, children, pets, etc., As others have been trying to explain to you.

Are you using website or App?

Website.

[Good question!]

Ok, I just went onto the website using a roommates computer and their AirBnB account. I found a site with pet fees. I’m hoping I can put screenshots up. The first picture shows the default of 1 guest and the pricing. The next picture is after the traveler has clicked on the small down arrow and put in all the guests, children, infants and pets. The the next picture shows the pricing. What am I missing because I don’t see pet fees listed anywhere. I see the daily rate went from $197 to $230. But I don’t see pet fees. @Muddy you said “As others have been trying to explain to you”. Where am I missing it, when I just went through the process and don’t see them. Could someone screenshot a reservation (as a guest) showing what I’m apparently too stupid to see?

You have the non-refundable 10% off box checked. Without the non-refundable rate the place is $219/night. It goes down to $197/night on non-refundable. But the nightly rate says $230/night. Unless the host charges an extra guest fee for 2 guests as opposed to one it looks to me like the pet fee is included in the nightly rate. (You didn’t say how much the pet fee was listed at on the listing, nor whether the listing charges extra guest fees after 1 person, so the info is incomplete as far as giving an on-point answer)

You’ve told us that you were one of the original computer web people, but this may be of help to you…

1 Like

I’m sorry but the pet fee is not shown to guests. It really isn’t. It just magically increases the price and if you haven’t looked at the price without the pet on the guest list then you’d never know that you’re paying a pet fee at all. And you certainly won’t know how much the pet fee is either. It’s not anywhere on the system and it’s not anywhere on the receipt.

@RSchnedl is correct. The guests never see the pet fee unless mention it in your listing. And most hosts don’t and there isn’t a requirement to mention it in the listing. When they took away the filter and added pets to the guest list they made the fee automatic and it is not noted anywhere. It’s a super secret pet fee.

As a guest, the only way for me to figure out if there is a pet fee and what the amount is is to remove the pet and note that price and then add the pet back and note that price and then do the subtraction.

I think it’s slimy. And I think I even posted here about it a couple of years ago when they started doing it this way.

1 Like

Not the pet fee. I promise. You will not even know if you’re paying a pet fee or not.

Nope, cause it doesn’t exist. The pet fees don’t show anywhere. (you’re correct).

Thank you @JJD. I was just told over and over that it’s there with NO proof and then belittled because I wouldn’t just believe everyone because they’ve been doing this for years. This is all I was wondering. Because I didn’t know if I was doing something wrong. Apparently not.

And @Rolf, I was originally going to make it a video but couldn’t embed that so I just changed to photos real quick. Thanks for the lesson? hahaha

Can you quote what comment I made on this thread that you state was insulting to you?

My first response on this thread was a response to someone else and not related to the pet fee issue. On it I gave you advice on your comment saying you had lots of guests turning up who were not on the booking.

You then responded to this post by saying I should provide you with screen shots relating to what guests see on listings in terms of pet fees when nowhere on this discussion did I claim any knowledge about pet fees.

@JJD When I said the guest sees the pet fee when they enter the number of pets, extra guests, etc, I wasn’t stating they see it as a separate line item, I really wasn’t sure if they did or not, but that it would be included in the total somehow. Then when he posted those photos, I could see it was included in the nightly price, as you confirmed it is, as otherwise the nightly rate in that example didn’t make sense.

Airbnb doesn’t display the taxes they charge my guests separately either. On my listing, they show my guests “Occupancy taxes” of 20%, when in fact only 4% of that is occupancy tax. 16% of it is VAT. I don’t know if they do it like that on all listings, but it’s making it needlessly confusing and irritating for hosts and their accountants here in Mexico to figure out. Airbnb withholds half the VAT and half our income tax owing to pay to the tax dept, and releases half the VAT, half the income tax, and all of the occupancy tax to the host. Then I have to pay the occupancy tax to the state and half the VAT to the fed.

Not sure what the ‘issue’ is on these things. I charge an “additional guest fee” that gets added to the daily rate. It never comes up as a line item for guests; I don’t see why this is a problem. Guests do not see line items in their totals for some things…

1 Like

@RSchnedl - will you please realise that the members who have patiently posted here trying to help you do not deserve to be SHOUTED AT and spoken to in a way that suggests anything but gratitude.

I realise that you are relatively new here but be assured that the members who have tried to help you are taking valuable time out of their day for you.

Thank you.

3 Likes

TBH, it took me a couple of days to figure out what everyone was talking about because every time I looked at the post everyone was talking about different things, lol.

I think it was just some inherent confusion that comes from trying to prove a negative. It’s naturally difficult to show an absence of something.

Yes, if a host has a pet fee then it’s automatically added to the price when a guest adds a pet. But a guest has no way of knowing about it. Airbnb doesn’t mention that some hosts have pet fees and they don’t require hosts to disclose whether they have a pet fee or the amount of it. It feels sneaky. I think undisclosed fees are probably bad for all of us, for the Airbnb brand or whatever

I’ve really struggled to understand why anyone cares about the cleaning fee but I think that how I feel about this may be kind of similar to that. At least it’s disclosed that a cleaning fee exists and the amount of it is revealed. Personally, I’ve never seen a cleaning fee that I thought was higher than the actual cost of the cleaning but I do know that it doesn’t cost $300 extra to clean a 1-bed apt after a dog stays for one night.

As a guest who travels with a dog, I know there is often a pet fee but only because I’m a host. It’s tedious to have to toggle back and forth on each listing to try and figure out if there is a pet fee and how much it is.

I see pet fees from $0 to $700 (well I don’t see them, I have to deduce them, lol). Most commonly, it’s $25 - $350, still a vast difference. I’ve seen hosts admit they’re going to start accepting pets but will have a very high pet fee to make it worth it because they don’t really want pets staying and some blatantly say their pet fee is meant as a deterrent to discourage guests from bringing a pet. And that tells me something I want to know about a host and about a listing.

When I travel I just want to be comfortable and I want to feel welcome. I don’t want to bring my dog to a listing where she isn’t truly welcome. There are enough listings where she is welcome and where the pet fee also provides for a biscuit treat, the use of bowls or maybe even a ball, maybe a play date with the host’s dog, or even just peaceful indifference.

1 Like