Poor Website design is causing problems

I was actually aware of the origins- I’ve done some reading on the Japanese internment camps in Canada during WWII. (All Japanese in Canada were imprisoned in these camps, even if they were native born Canadians). I’ve just never heard anyone use “nip” as a racial slur, but that doesn’t mean no one does.

When you said

I interpreted supposedly as meaning you were skeptical of it actually being a slur.

Whether you have ever heard anyone use it that way or not is irrelevant.

Edit: I guess you realized that since you’ve now edited your comment.

Anyway this convo reminds me of cabinhost’s defense of the term “jew them down.” It’s not a pleasant memory so I’m outta here for the night.

2 Likes
  1. I think I don’t get guests turning up who aren’t on the booking - because when guests book - as part of my vetting process I ask them to confirm who is coming on the trip

2. Yes Airbnb now ask guests what time they want to check in without linking this to displaying the hosts check in times.

Huh? The booking message said six guests.

Do you tell them what time zone? Do you tell them in the listing that you can only be reached by voice calls? Lots and lots of people these days live by texts. My DH (who is in his mid-60’s) ABHORS talking on the phone and will do anything to avoid it.

I’m wondering if that’s the header that changed in the message thread after Kyler accepted the change request. Clearly he wasn’t trying to get away with saying it was just him though because he does say it’s him and his siblings in what he wrote.

1 Like

The way we see Air is as a “known quantity.” We know what to expect from them - good, bad, or makes-no-sense.

We’ve been getting inquiries showing one person in the group for many years.

We developed a work-around that has helped us a lot. Our first reply to all inquires is a template that welcomes them, tells them some important things about the house (that we don’t want them to freak out about later - like no cell service, etc.), and we ask them some questions.

One question is the breakdown of their group. Not just the total number, but the number of couples and individuals. Then we’re able see if there are actually enough beds in the house for the people in the group - based on how the group is likely to pair up in a bed.
As we say, “we want everyone in the group to be comfortable the whole time they’re at the house!”

The guest might tell us something like, “No worries. We’ll put out air mattresses” which we typically don’t allow - and no sleeping on the couch (ew, drool on the throw pillow!).
So that’s not something we’ll be happy about.

Some reply and say that the “two individuals are sisters and planned on sharing a bed anyway.” That solves that problem.

Again, for years, about 90% of the time we get inquiries with “1” guest.
But the template has helped us to steer larger groups to a larger property that we manage.

Rarely it can’t be worked out with the guest (like air mattresses and couch drool) and we might just decline the inquiry based on there being more people than the house maximum (when sleeping arrangements are taken into consideration, not just the total number of guests).

Yes, of course, their friend can rebook and tell us there are just the right amount of couples and individuals for the number of beds. That possibility is always there.
But, for us, the template has served as a way to gain more info on the group, and about the inquirer, that wasn’t available IN the inquiry. And we are able to learn all this before we accept the inquiry.

Lots of hosts simply assume that a couple would share a bed. But I have known several couples who don’t. One snores like a locomotive, or one has restless leg syndrome, or one wakes up in the middle of the night and turns on the light and reads for awhile, or one’s a night owl and one turns in early- their sleep habits disturb each other, so they both get a better sleep if they have their own beds.

Absolutely agreed! The template is just our way to gain more info We’re not making any assumptions about how a “couple” lives their lives (or sleeps) or who comprises a couple.

RSchnedl posted about how Air could/should require guests to give hosts more information about the group. But Air doesn’t actually require that the guest provide that info at the time of inquiry.

So, our “work-around” attempts to just get more info than “1 guest.”

I don’t think we can ever get 100% info on the renter without talking to them in person. Even then we’re probably not getting the whole picture. We’d be just getting a little closer toward that 100%.

Of course… When they book direct we end up learning a lot about each other!

Off topic, but franky I assume that guests get much worse than drool on the throw pillows! I only use throw pillows with washable covers and I wash them in between each guest

4 Likes

You people forget Chesky was not a CS major (like Zucky) and that ABB looked like crap when it first started.
Full of bugs and such. Now it’s so much better by comparison, although the “improvements” they made lately do not favor hosts.

To the OP: send a note with your suggestion to the developers. There was a link to do that somewhere. I’ve done it in the past. Look around on the website. I’m in a hurry now and can’t search it for you.

I would love for you to take a screen shot showing where Pet fees are listed. I do not charge extra for guests. I do charge a pet fee. If I see a listing for 6 guests, what would make me think that they have forgotten or don’t know where to put in the pets. Also, there is NO WHERE that lists Pet Fees except for in your description. Do people read that? Also show me a screen shot of someone that put in pets and then show me where it shows Pet Fees are paid. You won’t find it. So if the website would just force open the window to put in Guests, Children, Infants, Pets. There would be NO problem except for devious people. Because the website is so poorly designed we have to treat anyone that doesn’t list a pet, as devious, because we just don’t know if they missed it by accident or on purpose.

Is this helpful?

It under Pricing and Availability, and then under Additional Charges

1 Like

That is from the Host side not the Traveler side.

Here, from the Guest side when they make their reservation:

“If you’re bringing more than 2 pets, please let your host know.”

Well, what that seems to tell guests is that they don’t have to check the pet box unless they have 3 or more pets.

It also erroneously states that the max guest count doesn’t include infants, when for most hosts it definitely does. Just because infants aren’t charged for doesn’t mean they don’t count towards maximum occupancy, which is often governed by fire regulations and accommodation licensing.

Airbnb are such tools.

3 Likes

If you can’t see where you add pet fees to your listing on your pricing - have a look at the airbnb help website.

So this is where you enter the pet fee.

Above I showed where the guest is to enter their number of pets.

Does that resolve your concerns?

Thank you for that - I’m working on taxes and needed a laugh!

1 Like

@Helsi, I KNOW where to add pet fees on my listing. I am asking you to show me AS A TRAVELER where do you see the hosts pet fees? It isn’t anywhere.

NO @hostAirbnbVRBO, The whole point of my first post is that the guest "has to find the little down arrow and click on it to see where to put in the guests, children, infants, pets. I have had 50% of my reservations fail to find this window to put in the data. But the real question is, even if they do put in pets SHOW me where pet fees are listed in the pricing. I’ll wait!