Poor Website design is causing problems

@jaquo, I would question your opinion that I SHOUTED at anyone. A word or two that is all capitalized is for emphasis, not shouting. Shouting would be a whole sentence capitalized. When I grew up capitalizing a word for emphasis was normal, unless you are being age discriminative by applying your view of a capitalized word over my old persons view.

Also, what JJD wrote showed that he understood my question and accurately answered my question, when no one else would take the time to really understand what I was confused about.

1 Like

She. As you would know if you had familiarised with the forum before you posted.

Please explain.

You make a comment like I’m an idiot that can’t figure out where to put pet fees in my listing. I have pet fees in my listing. I know where to put pet fees in my listing, That wasn’t the question at all! And then tell me to go to the help website, when I have done due diligence and gone through the help site and it didn’t come close to answering my question.

Please understand that we are all mature adults here and do not want this kind of repartee…

Showing a fellow member here something to help them is considered gracious. We are glad to link folks who need it. Back off and tone down the street attitude. Thanks.

2 Likes

Pardon me JJD, “I should have said, she wrote”. I guess I don’t really care who someone is as long as they give good information. I shouldn’t have assumed gender. As for being age discriminative, you applied your new age view of shouting when for my age group it isn’t shouting. Old guy here, “As you would know if you had familiarized with the forum before you posted.” :wink:

Let’s have a competition - I bet I’m older. :wink:

3 Likes

A lot of us here are “old people”, and yes, capitalizing a word was traditionally used for emphasis, but in the online world it’s considered to be shouting, so when I want to emphasize a word online, I put it in italics or bold. I also use an emoji if I’m being sarcastic because sarcasm doesn’t come across online the same way it does in person, when you can read facial expressions, tone of voice, or body language, and some readers might assume I am being serious. (P.S. I’m 73)

3 Likes

Well if you are older than 65, you got me.

@Rolf, come on now you know good and well that the comment about how to screen capture was snarky. Don’t act like it wasn’t.

Gotcha.

:slight_smile:
;;;;;;;;;;

3 Likes

Snarky’s not so bad. And there can be a lot of it here, so try not to get offended. Really, almost everyone is trying to help, we just have different styles of doing so.

2 Likes

I get that @muddy but no one took the time to really understand my question, until @JJD saw exactly what I was asking and she answered my question, spot on. It is very frustrating to be new, see something is wrong or doesn’t make sense and have all the experienced hosts answer questions I was not asking.

Sometimes the questioner does not know that they are asking the wrong question. Sometimes the questioner sparks an insight that, while unrelated to the questioners question, has value and needs to be commented upon.

This forum has tons of detail and knowledge. Yes, you will not be happy if you treat this place like it is ‘owed to you’ to specifically answer your inquiry - everyone here is volunteering their time and energy; it is not Airbnb.

New forum guests, like newbies on the internet itself, are many times startled that their needs and intensity is met by sarcasm, snark, and humor. Nobody here owes you anything, and if you make a positive contribution to the collective wisdom here you will be appreciated and welcomed. Outrage that the conversation is not going ‘just the way you want it’ reflects on you, not the others here.

You don’t have to be told that adults do not parse grammar, wag fingers, and become indignant, do you?

Sometimes it is due to the poster not being all that clear, or complete in what they are asking, too. Or they aren’t seeing what is in fact right in front of their eyes which might mean if they paid attention, they could figure it out. When we have a question, what we are asking or what we are not understanding seem very clear to us, but may not be to others.

For instance, when you posted those photos of what you were seeing when doing a mock booking, you didn’t notice or mention that the nightly rate that was showing on the completed booking form was not the rate that showed above when choosing the non-refundable cancellation option. All you were concentrating on was that there was no line item saying “Pet fee”. Nor did you mention what the pet fee was that was stated in the listing itself. That nightly booking rate was $197, but on the form with the totals, the nightly rate was shown as $230. So obviously something else was going on with that nightly rate, which in this case was that the pet fee was being included in the nightly rate.

Also, the nature of internet forums in general, is that responses can go off on tangents. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as some other interesting discussions can arise from it.
Bottom line when using internet forums is take the best and leave the rest. And try not to take things personally. Thin-skinned people don’t last long on forums. But there is tons of useful info to be gleaned if you can chill out.

Another thing that I like about hosting forums is that if you stick with them, you often get an idea of which hosts you’d love to stay with if you ever travelled to their part of the planet. And which hosts you’d never book with. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Gosh, I suppose I’d be a bit foolish not to save a screenshot of this :wink: :v:

1 Like

No worries. I didn’t think anything of it. I can’t even imagine why it would matter. And @jaquo definitely knows that I can speak just fine for myself so I’m not sure why it even came up.

We should probably just file this whole thing under “hosts don’t read either” and move on from it.

2 Likes

Maybe you should sit down. Cause you must be dizzy from all that spinning. :rofl:

No sadly the only person who’s making you look like an idiot on this forum is yourself.

We are not mind readers and don’t know what research you have done before posting here.

When I don’t know an answer I look on the Airbnb Help website - so why wouldn’t I direct people to it ?

No you didn’t take the time to explain yourself clearly @RSchnedl

This is a forum where hosts help each other in their own time.

Not somewhere to come and demand help and then be rude to those who try and help you because you don’t like the answers .

3 Likes