Poor Website design is causing problems

Yes, people tend to be much more amenable if you give them a “saving face” excuse for what you may strongly suspect is devious behavior.

2 Likes

…and who get way more of our keystokes than they should. Out of my 1000 or so reservations I had one person who showed up with 3 people. I didn’t have a rule about it so it wasn’t worth the hassle to say "hey, you only booked for one, you owe me $10. " But I learned from that to make a rule. Will I chicken out if I do ever get an outright liar? I hope I never find out.

1 Like

I’ve had so few people I suspected of “devious behavior” it hardly registers. 2 or 3?

1 Like

I didn’t just mean if the host suspects deviousness- I should have stated that differently. Sometimes people just perceive that they are being suspected or accused of bad intentions or irresponsibility, even if that isn’t the case.

“I can see you must be overwhelmed with 3 kids under the age of 8- I know it’s a lot of work to stay on top of things, but it’s really important for the kids’ safety to make sure they don’t go near the horse corral alone” is going to be received much better than “Can you please control your children”, whether the mom is legitimately overwhelmed or you can see she’s just on her cell phone in the lounge chair with a glass of white wine all day, letting the kids run wild.

Thanks for the feedback. Your suggestions follow along closely to what I have been doing for the past 10 years on Airbnb.
What has changed I think is some guests are turning off their notifications, not reading the messages I send, and then are surprised when they have to come up with more money.

As I live on the property, and meet and greet all guests (clearly noted on my listing)… Having to ask for money at the 11th hour is awkward at best.

I dont usually include the lengthy house rules in my message threads, but as this guest NEVER responded to ANY of my messages until I involved Airbnb CS, I decided I needed the additional info.

(The initial booking was for 1 guest and was not updated until the morning of the booking).

The NASTY message was in retaliation to a very honest, polite review…

I think guest was ‘butt hurt’ by it… Maybe thinking it was too much in his face! My guess is this guest was embarrassed…
This guest did not pay the fee until the very last minute. And I actually wasn’t sure when and if he was gonna show up to my property. Also of
Note: This guy is also a host…??

See below:

8:12 PM

Hi! Me and my siblings will be staying before my sister goes off to get her masters!

Message from Airbnb Service
Booking confirmed · 6 guests, Nov 25 - Nov 27

8:18 PM

Hi Kyler,
Thanks for the booking…
Just wanted to check in with you to confirm the number of guests…
Your booking is only showing for one person…:hugs:

9:18 PM

Thank you for booking with us at Crooked Finger Farms.

We strive to make your experience with us a memorable one, so please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you in your travels…

In order to make your check-in process as easy as possible, we ask that you please give us a call on the morning of your booking to confirm your arrival time and fine-tune the directions.

Check in can be arranged between 4:00 and 8:00pm. Sorry no early check ins…

Due to the nature of the property we are unable to offer self check in. So please plan accordingly and allow 15 minutes for us to show you the house.

We of course will be practicing appropriate CDC protocol.

Also, please remember… The property address may not google, and not all people have a cell signal on Crooked Finger Rd.

We can best be reached between 8:00 and 10:00 am.

Kind Regards,

Kristin
503 873 9633
(No Texts Please)

Nov 20, 2022

5:37 PM

Hi Kyler,
Thanks for the booking… Looking forward to hosting you all!
Just wanted to check in with you to confirm the number of guests…
Your booking is only showing for one person…:hugs:

Nov 23, 2022

9:03 AM

Thanks again for your booking…

Just a quick reminder to be sure to give us a call on our landline (No Texts) the morning of your booking to schedule your arrival time and check in. Also to fine tune directions…

We are best reached between 8:00 and 10:00 am.
Please be sure to leave a message if we don’t answer, we will get right back to you…

Regards,
Kristin
503 873 9633

10:18 AM

P.S. Please let us know the number of guests in your group. Thank you

12:09 PM

IMPORTANT INFORMATION! Guests Must read!

Check in is between 4:00 and 8:00 pm. Guests must call (No Texts) the morning of their booking to confirm their arrival time and fine tune directions.

We greet guests upon arrival. Sorry, no self-check-ins.

The initial walkthrough must be conducted with the primary renter. Please allow 15 minutes for us to show you the property.

We have a ‘no shoes’ policy inside the home. Cigarette smoking is not allowed anywhere in or around the farm, including down the end of the driveway. We ask that guests kindly observe our house rules and please advise their guests of these policies…

Children and infants are welcome at Crooked Finger Farms, but they MUST be included in the total number of ADULT guests. The ‘Additional Guest Fee’ applies to ALL infants and children under 2 years old.

The Guest House is not child proof. Please be sure this property is suitable for you before booking with infants and small children.

(Please read the description of the property).

There are numerous antiques and art throughout the home. Guests also need to be advised that there is an open pond and all the hazards of farm life. There is also a sensitive septic system and guest with infants must take special care not to flush anything other than paper.

If the home is left in excessively dirty condition, you may be assessed an additional cleaning fee.

Please Note:
Non-registered guests are not allowed on the property without prior permission from the owner. This request must be made in writing at the time of booking. You may also be required to pay an additional cleaning fee.

It is solely the responsibility of the registered guest to make sure everyone in your group is aware of the house rules, e.g., no shoes inside the house, etc…

Bookings for longer than 7 days will require an additional cleaning fee.

Please advise us if you have allergies… Our pets are not allowed inside, but we do have down pillows and comforters on all beds.

Every measure has been taken to keep our property clean, however, due to the nature of the property and its location, you might encounter the occasional mouse or spider etc…

Critters such as: ants, mice, spiders, moths, flies, etc. and many other creatures are native to this area. Please be aware that as this property is in a rural location, it is possible to see them INSIDE or AROUND the property.

The Sofa Bed (or 3rd bedroom) is located in the 2nd Living Room. It does not have a door. However, there is a folding screen for privacy, (Please see full description) We ask that guests request this 5th bed at the time of booking so we can have it ready for their group.

Please remember this is a rural property and we do periodically experience occasional power outages.

Please be aware that there may be limited cell reception outside the home. As a courtesy to guests there is a landline inside the unit for guest use. We do have adequate internet, so you can connect your phone via the WIFI. However, guests may occasionally experience periodic slower speeds as we are on a satellite network.

If you need anything, or something is broken e.g., wine glasses, etc. or you have a problem, you must inform us ASAP so we may have the opportunity to fix it. Please use the landline located in the 2nd bedroom to call us if you have any issues. we will respond ASAP!

CHECKOUT:
Please make sure that all dishes, etc. are thoroughly washed and properly stored.

Heater/Air Conditioner and all lights MUST be turned off.

Guests must empty all trash and recycling (No Glass) in appropriate outside bins provided. *Please do not leave us your cardboard for recycling.

If you move chairs, please return them, etc… And please respect our antiques by not putting anything hot or wet on them.

If the Guest House or hot tub are left in an excessively dirty condition, or there is damage to the property in any way, you will be responsible for the reimbursement costs.

HOT TUB USE:
Please be aware that the hot tub is to be used ‘at your own risk’.

It is mandatory that ALL guests shower before each use!

Every attempt is made to assure the hot tub is clean and hot for guests. However, we do not have control of periodic power outages or improper use causing the hot tub to change in temperature. And as it is located outside, there may be the potential for leaves, etc…

Sorry NO pets allowed.

Please be aware that this listing includes some shared spaces, and an assistance animal would create a health or safety hazard to our livestock and/or other guests.

Guests are welcome to wander the property, but please be considerate of our other guests… The Bali House and Tipi areas are private. Horses are not for guests’ use unless prior arrangements have been made with the owner.

Parking for the Guest House will accommodate up to 4 cars. If you need additional parking, you will need to notify us at the time of your booking.

Please keep the driveway next to the Red Farmhouse clear for fire access.

We thank you for your consideration.

Nov 24, 2022

12:39 PM

Good afternoon!! I’m sorry I can’t call right now, but we have 6 guests staying!

I’m sorry about that :frowning:

I’ll be available to talk on the phone later though!

12:42 PM

Thanks for letting me know…
I will update the booking to include the additional guest fees.
Happy Thanksgiving :turkey:

Alteration request sent

2:24 PM

Just wanted to check in with you to confirm that you received the additional guest fee request.
We do have an additional guest fee for bookings with groups larger than 4 guests.
Please let me know if you have any issues with submitting payment on the site…
Thank you.
Kristin

9:41 PM

I’m sorry we didn’t expect it to be a $200 increase, so we’re just trying to come up with the money.

It’s 3 couples, so we would only need 3 beds made up btw if that helps with the amount of work on your end.

Nov 25, 2022

Alteration request accepted

3:48 PM

We’re running a little late! Will call when we’re at Molalla.

4:33 PM

Just passed Mollalla!

Dec 12, 2022

11:33 AM

Kristin I called you the day of the booking multiple times and you didn’t pick up

I did read the description

Frankly, you were not a good host and made us uncomfortable. I was going to leave a 3 star review but didn’t want to mess up your rating. You have beautiful land. But your address issues, lack of self check in, over controllingness are all huge negatives for your stay. And to say I didn’t read the instructions when I couldn’t reach you when I called you multiple times the morning of the stay, as weirdly instructed is very unfair of you.

We will definitely not be back and you’re lucky you have great land. That’s the only thing you have going for your Airbnb.

I stayed at a place in Baltimore where the host states several times that guests must download the app and use it. He has a lot more reviews than I do but is well rated so maybe that works. It does seem that there are a steady stream of guests with poor communication. That presents unique challenges at unique properties. It’s annoying when a guest wants a unique property but refuses the responsibilites of a unique property. I have self check in and prefer it, but really, until Airbnb I’d never heard of such a thing. If you want a self check in place, use that filter when you search. He sounds like a man-splainer jerk.

What is he referring to when he says he called on the day of booking but you didn’t pick up? I’m thinking it means he tried to inform you by phone but couldn’t. Or he means the day of the stay as instructed. In any case I’m confused because if you told me to call but didn’t answer the phone I’d be miffed too.

As for the part about not expecting a $200 increase, either your listing isn’t clear about the fees or (more likely he didn’t read the listing as you said.

2 Likes

Thanks again… Although the listing is very clear… And so is the airbnb side of things… The additional guest fee was never a problem before all the stupid changes Airbnb made.

I do realize that I might be developing tunnel vision… when it comes to my listing’s descriptions…
But I try and make them clear and still protect myself. But I do have a fairly unique property…

What is frustrating for me is that I do not have cell service at my property. I can’t walk around with a phone attached to my hip and my landline won’t reach when I am in my barn with my horses.

This is all explained in 3 different places on the listing description and in my welcome message. No texts, etc… I also follow up with guests 2 days before check-in reminding them about the phone thing…

I guess I am getting old! (Not really, as I am stillI hiking 12 miles, riding 3 horses a day and doing a lot of my own cleaning, painting, leaf raking, manure shoveling, tractor mowing, etc… Not old, just “Old School”!

realize that I may have to come up with a different option, but if I have my cell phone on Wi-Fi calling all the time it uses up ALL MY data.

I already have 2 satellite dishes with the max amount of data allowed. Costs me over $500. a month for high speed internet!

Wa, Wa, Wa, Wasn’t a problem before Covid and everyone stopped going outside, talking to strangers, and Airbnb went hog wild with encouraging working remotely. Great idea if that’s your thing… But the type of property I have is more suited to folks who want to go outside, explore the wilderness, disconnect, read a book and have conversations over the dinner table. Like I said; Old School… :yum:

3 Likes

Whew this guest was a real turd. “We will definitely not be back” – bahaha! As if they would be wanted back!

3 Likes

“Good to know you feel that way, because we have no interest in you ever coming back.”

1 Like

Can you designate a time of day when you can be reached on your landline and make sure you are available to answer calls then?

2 Likes

Yes, I am always available from 8:00 to 10:00 am. And send that message to the guest that that is the best time to reach me. And I also say to leave a message and I will get right back to them … OMG! I just realized I probably need to say VOICEMAIL!!! Not message… because they probably have never even seen an answering machine…

2 Likes

I saw a really amusing home video where the family was staying at a hotel and the desk phone rang. The dad told his 11 year old daughter to answer it, as she was standing right next to it. She stared at it, completely confused. Dad said again, “Answer it”. She said “How?” “Just pick up the receiver.” She still didn’t get it- she didn’t know what the receiver was. The kid had never used anything but a cell phone, probably never even seen a movie or tv show where someone used a landline phone.

3 Likes

I didn’t realise that, I thought they must have been hired by ABB. interesting.

literally happened to me 2 times this past week.
and a woman booked for her and her partner and instead turned up with her 10yo daughter, and then asked me what activities we had for “a 10yo active kid”.

I also have a high number of newbies, and a high number of people wanting early check-in. I’ve just had 3 guests in a row tell me they want to check in at 12pm and I’m wondering if the booking process is prompting them to do this. (ie, ask for whatever time they want)

1 Like

Well, they certainly come across like that, but I guess the company they work for (https://www.standingongiants.com/) has some contract with Airbnb regarding the attitude the employees should take in regards to making Airbnb look good. Not to mention their website looks like yet another millennial “we hear you” type entity, hence all the affirmations and validations. (That new mod Bhurima has now twice answered a post from a distressed female host saying, “That must have been so terrifying for you”, when the host’s issue didn’t sound “terrifying” at all, just upsetting or frustrating.)

Too bad the third party contractors Airbnb uses for CS aren’t particularly interested in making Airbnb look good.

1 Like

Yes, it does. It asks the guest to tell you “what time they will check in”. Of course, in typical ABB fashion, they couldn’t be bothered to include that the check-in time needs to be within the host’s approved check-in window.

2 Likes

yes the new girl is really quite something. Ill-equipped to talk to us more mature adults with real-life experience. She’s made quite a few errors, and last week censored someone for using the word “pimp” and got quite a mouthful from a few hosts about it. Most of the newer mods are not hosts, and I don’t know if they’ve ever even stayed in an abb before. it’s a frustrating situation because their empathy is fake and scripted, just like the CS staff.

3 Likes

Oh, I missed that one. A few years ago, on a thread about seasonal holiday decorations, I mentioned using pussy-willows and it posted as Bleep-willows. When I commented on how funny that was, that plant names were now considered to be profane, Stephanie had a laugh about it too, admitting that the algorithm was a bit over-zealous, and put it back as I had written it.

And if you use the expression “nip it in the bud” , the algorithm bleeps “nip”, as it is supposedly some racial slur for Japanese, although I’ve never in my 73 years heard anyone use it like that.

1 Like

really? fairly common here in the 80s. Stems from Japan’s actual real name “Nippon” (well that’s the former name during the war, now it’s Nihon, but sometimes you still see Nippon in use, esp in company names), and people called them “nips”. Derogatory? Probably, but we were still living under the shadow of WW2, it took a while for Australians to forgive and forget. My Grandfather hated the Japanese til the day he died, he would not have been pleased to know I studied it at uni and lived in Japan for 3 years.

You can use “wanker” in the forums. The algo doesn’t know that one. :smile:

4 Likes

Coming from a Jewish family, and being born in 1949, I grew up around bias towards Germans. My parents would not buy anything made in Germany, and some 50 years later, my dad had to overcome that bias when one of his grandsons, my brother’s kid, married a non-Jewish German girl. I call it bias as opposed to bigotry, because it didn’t stem from hatred of a nationality simply because they were different and you had faulty ideas about them, but stemmed from real world events, like your grandfather hating the Japanese. At least my dad came to terms with accepting that his grandson’s wife and her generation had nothing to do with Nazi Germany and that she was a lovely woman.

1 Like

Yes, it’s from Nippon, the Japanese name for their nation.

During WWII it was in common use. I used to have a war era paper with it in a below the fold story title. I don’t have that paper but here’s an example from Google