People who re-make the bed

Hi everybody ! I’ve been in hosting a year now and so far so good . But lately guests --my last six – have been very carefully remaking the bed at my tiny house listing when they leave.

The only check out instructions I have are to please turn off the AC or the Heat, as appropriate .and to please tie up the garbage but leave it in the can in the house. ( Critters! )

Ummmm , is it something in the water or do a lot of folks do this ?

1 Like

I have that happen occasionally. People probably think they’re being nice, or helping or something. So I added under the check-out instructions, “No need to strip the beds, we’ve got this!” so now I rarely have people trying to make the bed.

1 Like

My guests, with rare exceptions, remake the bed. I think they are responding to the ‘leave the airbnb as you found it’ mantra.

3 Likes

It’s a habit, their parents trained them well : ) I think it’s cute when they do this. I never make my bed but I use my cats as an excuse. I didn’t teach my kids to make their beds either. I picked my battles and bed making wasn’t one of them but I think it’s sweet when I see folks making their beds.

2 Likes

I’d guess that about 25 percent of my guests do. Plus. I’ve done it myself as a guest.

We always get up early and especially in an apartment that has double doors through to the bedroom, or a studio, I make the bed on checkout day. That’s because I don’t want to be looking at an unmade bed for several hours - simple as that.

My checkout time is 11 am so maybe there are other early-rising tidy people like me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had one guest who made the bed perfectly, hospital corners and all. Much better job than I do.

As a homeshare host, I don’t have any check-out list, I just convey things verbally. If I forget to tell them to just leave the bed as is, some make it, some strip it and leave the dirty sheets in a ball, some strip it and leave them folded neatly, some just leave it unmade.

3 Likes

Many of our guests do it. They are probably the same people who make their bed everyday at home. I don’t care because if I have several days without guests I can delay turnover and the room still looks nice.

3 Likes

This drives me absolutely crazy because I have had guests make the beds so well, I couldn’t tell which of the six beds three guests uses so I needed to strip and remake all six.

I am considering making little notes to put in between the top and bottom sheets that read “clean sheets” so if that bed is used, the note is removed. Thoughts?

3 Likes

Just ask guests not to make the bed if used so that the cleaners know which sheets need to be laundeted. It could be mentioned in the check out message.

1 Like

I do ask them to leave the beds unmade. In my experience, based on non-stop questions from guests once on property, most guests don’t read posted or emailed instructions.

3 Likes

Leave a little bright colored laminated sign on a stand on the night table. That might work. I have those little signs around the house with the Wifi sign info. but it might work well as a reminder for them to strip beds.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are some guests who will want to use all six beds, even though there are only three people.

The only answer is to launder all the bedding. Even if only three beds appear to be used, one or more might have been used by someone having a nap or escaping the noise of a snoring spouse.

It’s much better to have beds that are freshly made just before guests arrive, especially if you line-dry for a little while to get that lovely smell. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless one has separate listings for different numbers of guests and locks off bedrooms not booked, yes, some guests may bedhop, for several possible reasons.

But if they have access to the whole house, and they aren’t being charged for the number of beds they use, I can’t see why guests wouldn’t be forthcoming about which beds were used. If I had this situation, I would just leave a note, maybe on the fridge, or as suggested a card by the bed, as well as in the house manual and perhaps in a “Hope you checked in okay, please feel free to ask if you have any questions or need assistance.” message, saying to please leave any beds which were used, even briefly, unmade, so bedding which hasn’t been used doesn’t have to be washed for no reason.

1 Like

I’ve thought about that too and ultimately decided to just do the laundry, but I only have two beds. I tried to think as a guest and whether I’d want to wonder how long sheets have been on a bed…are they fresh or oooooooold? Is the host lazy on this so lazy elsewhere? Lazy isn’t my term, I don’t think you would be, or I would be. But would a guest think so? Possibly.

3 Likes

Maybe 1/3 of my guests remake the bed. I would assume they remake their beds when they wake up and enjoy having a made bed to sit on or set their bags while they pack up.

I started hosting again recently after a three year hiatus. I have had guests ask more now if they should strip the bed. I tell them I’ll take care of it. I don’t tell them why, but I find it easier to check for stains, as has been discussed extensively here over the years.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I am so surprised by how many people never sleep under the sheets, just sleep on top of the covers. We wash all bedding including blankets and duvet covers between every guest. There is just too much uncertainty.

I made these two signs in Canva. I keep a laminated copy of each next to the bed and also in the walk in closet where the extra linens are stored.

2 Likes

I like those signs! I might use them for inspiration.

I had a recent towel “issue” My practice was to have stacks of towels in each room. My dressers have a cubby hole that holds 8 towels perfectly. Two guests (grown adults) used 16 bath towels over a 4 night stay. Lesson learned.

4 Likes

Wow Cleo. ! Makes you wonder what in tarnation they were doing with all those towels . Ummm , well, maybe best not to speculate…

The plot thickens as they were not paying guests but friends of a friend that we invited to stay for free.

I think some people just grab a clean towel everytime they shower. 2 people showering twice a day for 4 days=16 towels. :roll_eyes:

I even read a post once where a woman insisted that “It’s unhygenic to use a towel more than once.” And she wasn’t talking about a shared towel, like a hand towel, but about bath towels only one person has used.

I also know people who if they spill something, will just grab a clean towel to wipe it up, instead of a paper towel or an old cloth or towel.

1 Like