Party house ban

As a super ho and a plus… haven’t you all ready been verified by your guests?

2 Likes

Well, yes, in that sense. But the email states all 7 million. I guess they will start with a computer program but at what point will they really look at a listing with eyes? And what about the house where the shooting occurred? Weren’t they verified? I don’t see what verifying hosts has to do with preventing parties.

4 Likes

I wanna be an Airbnb verifier!
Pickiest guest EVER!
Dust under the bed - FAIL!
Dud light bulb - FAIL!
Ooh look… chipped paint…
:joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:

My thoughts exactly!

3 Likes

I’m sure Plus listings would already be considered verified. Superhosts probably not as there are ways to game the review system.

Consistently low stars (and all new listings) seems like where they should start, but this statement makes me think they may actually start with the highest stars:

He says nothing about removing listings that don’t meet expectations. He only says they’re going to label the listings that do. It seems like they’re going to put a badge on listings to let guests know it’s been verified to meet their standards (i.e., a “Superhouse” badge :slight_smile:) It would make more sense to first confirm that the best listings are worthy of the badge rather than to first confirm that the worst listings are not worthy of it.

The easiest way (though not foolproof) would be to have guests do it somehow. For example, by taking a short survey asking very specific questions about the address, accuracy, cleanliness, amenities, safety, etc. or by taking photos and submitting them to a “verification system”.

They already do: “Superhost,” “Plus,” “95 reviews,” “4.92,” etc.

Yep. Now I imagine guests will see “Verified” too.

1 Like

Here you go- photos put up by an Australian real estate agent! Verify This!

Think Airbnb has verified this one?

edit to add Looks like it has a hot tub though!

1 Like

Ahhhhh,that would be a NO from me!!

I posted a shack in the middle of nowhere NV last year and multiple hosts here argued in favor of it being on the platform. After that I thought, “not my circus, not my monkeys.” I can’t be fussed with what other people list and rent. Caveat emptor and all that. My exception are the hosts who openly state their discriminatory policies on their listing. I will report those.

2 Likes

They don’t bother me in the least. Makes my place look better by comparison!

1 Like

There’s that argument. There is also the argument of whether there should be any kind of standard applied to Airbnb or not. I see quite a few people who argue that bad hosts or listings somehow reflect on all of us. Do people see Airbnb as a brand or is it just a listing service like ebay? Does it have any brand limits, that is, how low will it go? But I just try to stay focused on what works for me.

Yes, Airbnb is definitely a brand. Technically it is a brand but also it is effectively a brand. I do think that bad hosts and crap listings reflect poorly on us. I’d rather compete with all superhosts than have people stop using Airbnb because of :poop: experience. I am in favor of and supportive of having a wide range of listings, including shared spaces/hostel like spaces and bare-bones amenities but there’s no excuse for being dirty or having a lack of hospitality.

1 Like

Here’s our local most questionable AirBnB listing.

1 Like

Well, it would be logical and sane to start with the listings with the lowest star ratings, but since Airbnb does everything ass-backwards, Chesky stated that they would send further questions about the ratings to guests who rated a place 5*s, if you can believe it.

1 Like

I can believe that. Right now five stars means:

Perfect! Better than the description! or

Exactly as described, no better, no worse. Or

When brought up with the host recleaned/modified to be close to described. Or

No quite as described, but the host was nice or begged or threatened for 5 stars.

I personally think these should be, in order, 5,4,3, and 2 or 1, but with them all grouped together it is harder for Airbnb to figure out when the hosts are fudging on descriptions and when they are exceeding expectations.

It is Quite possible for listings with either or both of these to be rated inaccurate by a miscreant guest so although I agree with you Airbnb is setting up a system already flawed by its sheer size.

And this is a flaw because a guest can be wrong, both accidentally as well as intentionally.

3 Likes