Paper, plastic, or glass in the bathroom?

I don’t know why, but it never occurred to me that I need to add cups to my bathroom. Paper is probably pretty common but it feels wasteful. Glass is good in that I can just run through the dishwasher at turnover, but I worry about someone dropping it on the counter and smashing it and also whether people will know if it’s clean(this is not a shared space). I’m sure this is why hotels put paper toppers or plastic bags on the glasses, but then you are just creating trash anyway. Plastic is good from the point that I can wash in dishwasher and is safe in the bathroom, but for me personally. plastic always feels like a child’s dirty sippy cup lol.
What do other hosts have in the bathroom for people to use?

We provide two 10 oz Tupperware glasses in our bathroom for each pair of guests. They are plain-colored and unbreakable. And they’re made of plastic that’s safe for dishwasher washing and reuse. Almost every guest uses them.

I agree that not every plastic is a good choice. Many plastic glasses on the market are made of plastic that isn’t safe for the dishwasher and for long-term reuse.

Ours look like this, but they’re more sophisticated colors (and we don’t bother with the lids or straws).

1 Like

Yes, it’s just psychological. LOL.

I don’t have anything in the bathroom but I have plastic “glasses” for guest use. I buy some of the nicer looking ones but plastic for breakage issues. I already have breakable coffee mugs. BTW, I now have tile instead of carpet and I was afraid I’d have more breakage issues, but so far I don’t. The only broken thing has been something the guest broke of their own. Warning, put that headlamp and reading glasses on to search for the stray slivers of broken glass. I was still finding bits of it for weeks afterwards.

1 Like

If they want a vessel in the bathroom (I never do even at home) they can grab one from the kitchen. In addition to glass we stock some high quality plastic glasses for picnicking they can grab if they need it. I’m with you on unnecessary waste and we market our space as eco-conscious, low waste. The clients we get seem to appreciate it.

2 Likes

Even though the apartment both sleep two, we supply just one plastic glass in each. I think the logic is that two people won’t be using the bathroom at the same time.

That’s what I used to do but the first time I found a glass in the bathroom, I decided that we’d need to supply something specific. I don’t like having breakable glass in the bathroom.

Plastic. These are decent and sturdy, and not expensive, and are used in restaurants:

I just ordered a set of the blue ones (only $9 for 12) and the ones not in the bathrooms are in the picnic basket.

1 Like

I don’t have glasses in the bathroom but use stainless steel in the common area. Sometimes guests use these in the bathroom.

And sometimes guests eat out of the ceramic decorative bowl I keep on the bathroom shelf. Yuck!

1 Like

I prefer stainless steel or even those metal enameled cups that are normally used for camping.

2 Likes

We have a hammered aluminum theme in the bathroom. This photo shows the cup available. The piggy is now out on the bookcase in the observation lounge, the little ceramic shot cups are on the top shelf and there is a mini make up mirror next to the aluminum goblet, which is easy to clean and clearly not used much. I could not resist getting this cool shelf for Gypsy. It came all the way from Ukraine via Etsy:)

1 Like

I don’t put cups in the bathrooms. I figure guests that need a cup can get one from the kitchen. I’d probably do it if it was for one or two guests, but with 8 guests and not knowing what guest uses what bathroom, I don’t see how guests could tell them apart unless each cup was unique.

Disposable cups seem like the best solution, but with no way to tell them apart, they would all end up being one-time use.

2 Likes

Looks like the price has gone up to $10.95.

I supply the small Dixie cups. I’ve been hosting for 4 years and have only gone through one box. I think many folks use their hands.

2 Likes

Sorry, I linked the clear ones that are $10.95. The blue ones are still under $9 for 12 of them.

1 Like

We have seamless stainless steel cups in the bathrooms. They polish up nice and have a heavy bottom so they’re also good for stowing toothbrushes/razors.

1 Like

I use the small dixie cups. It does seem wasteful but I fear glass cups would shatter in the bathroom and guests might get cut if barefoot.

1 Like

Thanks all for the great responses. I think I’m going to check the dollar store and grab a couple of nice plastic glasses. As my place is a couple’s retreat, so 2 should be plenty. My daughter is a ceramics major in college so I’m going to ask her to make me a nice tray to put on the counter to put them on. I’m not excited about guests taking my kitchen stuff into the bathroom so this may be my best option.

1 Like

So that leaves the middle shelf open for guests to put whatever they want! :blush:

Sorry I missed that.

If you want to consider the stainless steel option. They have been one of our best buys.

2 Likes

Another vote here for stainless steel. It’s easy to see if they are clean (or not!) and I like the way they match the taps and other metal accessories. Also, psychologically, I think that lots of shiny things (provided they really are shiny!) in a bathroom or kitchen impart a look of newness/cleanliness.

3 Likes