Panic attack, hidden dirt, need advice

Very true. I’m pretty lax about it in my own home but if there’s anything at all lurking under an appliance in one of the rentals, I want to be the one to see it and deal with it.

1 Like

And you get to review them, remember. And you should.

I have that piece of garbage fridge in a Samsung model. And it doesn’t come apart very easily…

Energy Star compliance caused most of this. Ours is Samsung also.

Run a Manual Defrost (twice if necessary) to completely melt the ice off of the fins behind the rear fridge wall. Then, remove the shelves and rear panel. It will come off easily (no ice) Then relocate the sensor to the top corner where the cooling pipe comes in, and most of your issues will be completely solved.

Even still, every 1-3 months (depending how much the door is left open) it is a good idea to soak up all the excess water accumulated under the bottom drawer(s).

1 Like

I don’t know if my Kenmore branded fridge is made by Whirlpool or LG. I thought at one point LG was what I had learned. In any case it’s 11 years old and I’ve had no problem. I don’t even know what Jefferson is referring to with water accumulated and ice. When you live in an area with low humidity like I do there are different issues and strategies. Maybe Brian has trouble because it’s so damn hot much of the year where he is.

1 Like

Some fridges have this issue. The defrost sensor is not located in the correct spot by the manufacturer. In more humid environments this often leads to ice dams forming behind the rear panel. Here is how to fix it.

Make sure to use manual defrost mode until all ice is melted, so rear panel comes off easily. It can easily break if this is not done.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understood all that. I’m saying that for those of us in dry climates, that’s not a problem. I’ve never seen the situations you described. I don’t know what you’re talking about was a figure of speech, sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

We’d one of those.

Roughly £1,000 worth at the time and initial repairs carried out under warranty.

They then extended the warranty period from two years to five years. Had a further repair carried out.

It actually lasted beyond the five years and I ended up buying some bits from ebay and doing third (similar) repair myself.

Sold it for £350 a fortnight before we moved here.

Kindest descripción I can give it is a heap of shit, but fine when working. The main attraction for us was chilled filtered water on tap and an ice maker.

Now, we got two identical Indesit 60cm fridge freezers side by side, we get 10L bottles of water and 2.5kg bags of ice from the guy round the corner. Much more efficient!

JF

2 Likes

ROTFLMAOOOoooooo. You should have seen 3 of us taking facetime directions to do this from someone in CA while in FL. It was insane. And there was ice.

You mean chip off the ice?

I believe Whirlpool. My friend who lives in the next town over has a Whirlpool and it’s wonderful.

F-ing Samsung. Never again.

2 Likes

I saw defrosting the fridge first mentioned. In which case there would be no ice.

@casailinglady >> You mean chip off the ice?

No - sorry - Ice at the very bottom of the fridge - under the drawer(s)?? Am I understanding this correctly?

I had meant the ice behind the shelves and rear panel of the fridge - where the cooling fins and fan are. It is not a good idea to chip away at that - far too easy to break something, and end up with coolant spraying out (it is under pressure). Manual defrost cycles are the way to go. At the very end, maybe some gentle use of a hair dryer with a bit that might be left where the pipes come in.

For us, Samsung has been amazing. Food stays fresh for easily twice as long as every other fridge we have owned. Yes, it was a bit annoying to figure out the needed fix but that is behind us.

Back in the days when I had a non-self-defrosting fridge (yes, I’m that old), I found the easiest way to defrost it was simply to turn it off overnight, with the door closed and all the food still in it. In the morning, the fridge was still cold, so all the food was fine, but the ice had melted. Then it was just a matter of emptying the water-filled trays.

1 Like

Superhot :joy: yeah why not:) :+1: we work butts off

My POS Samsung doesn’t have a manual defrost cycle. It’s called unplugging it after all the perishables are put into coolers. :frowning:

I understand about not chipping away at the ice on the back panel. I meant that the water that accumulates under the crisper drawers turns to ice.

Thank you for the fix. I will try that this weekend. Sadly, I own a Samsung TV, dishwasher, stove, and fridge and all have been awful. 2014 must have not been a good year for them.

Are there a few buttons and digital temp display at the top, once the doors are open? If yes, then there is almost certainly a manual defrost - but it will not be a “separate button”. It will be a sequence of “hold this then press that” to make it happen.

Take a photo of your control panel and provide your model. I’ll try to look it up.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check YouTube. Lately, I feel like the little boy who is trying to block the holes in the dike…

The fact that they asked to extend their stay will make it very difficult to leave you a bad review. “The place was dirty. It was so bad we decided to stay a little longer.”

2 Likes

Here are two videos. Your model, like ours, may be slightly different to get into the Diag Mode, then hit “button X” a few times to put it into Forced Defrost Mode:

I think those folks are cruel! But it’s a new world, and we all are in it. Can’t say that cleaning so thoroughly once a month (or every two weeks behind a frig) is a bad idea when you’re hosting. Take deep breaths and if you have to increase your cleaning fee, so be it. Then you can explain to future guests what they are paying for!

Not even remotely like mine. But thanks. sigh