Panic attack, hidden dirt, need advice

If I want the cleaners to clean behind something, a bed a fridge or anything else I pull it out from the wall so they know to clean back there.

RR

3 Likes

And who has added pulling out the fridge and cleaning under, over and behind it on the next turnover,? :joy:

5 Likes

I know! One more thing to add to my list which keeps getting longer and longer. LOL

1 Like
  1. They are OCD obsessive. Who moves the refrigerator or removes the grill at a short term rental? Only the paranoid… OR

2. They’re probably going to want a discount or a free stay.

You’ll know it’s the first if they continue to clean after you’re done, and obsess over every ant, fly, moth, hair, or speck of dust. You may not know it’s the second until they request a refund, after they’re gone.

2 Likes

NO EFFING WAY! I would NEVER discount obsessive idiots like this, and I wouldn’t extend their stay either. I’d get them out of there before they “discover” some other reason they should pay less.

10 Likes

@MissMiami

First, I am so so sorry about these guests. Wow … I am irked just thinking about a guest who would do that. If OCD, then forgivable but still many red flags. If not OCD then part of “screw over the host”. Caution either way!

Agree 100% with @casailinglady, who is experienced and wise. Other fantastic comments here.

Be careful with these people. They are either very OCD or are looking to stick it to you. Keep it “all smiles” to the guest and blast them with 1 Stars along with “would not host again”.

I would not want to extend them either. But this can easily cause offense or suspicion. If you need to turn them down, you need to provide a good reason fast - one that anyone “has to accept” - maybe your mother / parents are coming?

If you did wish to accept them staying - I would go direct with this, not Air.

Please let us know what happens! Fingers crossed for you!

2 Likes

Deal with this Guest - you Already have great feedback. Then have a deep clean done. In the future schedule deep cleans 3 times a year. Deep clean work is not part of a regular clean. It’s a separate job.

3 Likes

Wise words indeed! Less said the better. An unqualified “No,” repeated early and often along with “Thank you for your feedback, I’m sending a crew in now…” and not allow them to set any times or parameters.

Enough. It’s your place, they’re paying to stay there, they’re not your friends. >shudder at the thought of having friends like that<

Wow! Thank you for the compliment! I feel my “wisdom” is thanks to the very wise and experienced folks here, including you.

Love the support here.

1 Like

This reminds me of my satirical post of a year ago with my offer to come inspect airbnbs for a fee. Has it really been a year? I don’t miss Don Burns at all.

3 Likes

ONLY if you feature my Airbnb on your Instagram after inspecting it.

4 Likes

Jesus Christ, I dont clean in my own house that often under the fridge. Perhaps once or twice per year, for Christmas and Easter. Do you clean in yours? Now honestly, all the hosts here who clean frequently under their personal fridge hands up!

These people were specifically looking for dirt in order to ask for refund or something.

If they were at my house and did this to me I’d kick them out! I’d be so freaking angry!

3 Likes

About 4 times a year. It needs it more often but I’m lazy and it can’t be seen. Remember, I board dogs in my home and the amount of dog hair with no carpet to suck it up can be crazy.

1 Like

Normally twice a year, but my piece-of-garbage LG refrigerator malfunctions quite a bit more often and needs to be unplugged to clear it, so I sweep and mop it while I’ve got the refrigerator pulled out to unplug it.

When we had a dog, I cleaned under the refrigerator more often as I found that extra dust and dog hair clogged the condenser coils much more quickly.

2 Likes

And I pulled out the fridge, was last done 6 months ago…oatmeal specks and some dust, but now “sparkling clean”!

Hi Brian, some newer fridges benefit from a bit of preventative maintenance. It is a consequence of the smaller compressors needed to earn energy star ratings. A door-based ice dispenser often contributes.

We have a Samsung french door, that had similar issues. Then, since I love research I figured out a small modification that prevented most of it (relocated defrost sensor to the top corner on appropriate side - where ice first starts to form). The defrost cycle will run earlier - to prevent the ice dams from forming.

But … this also means that the defrost water will then run down (as it is supposed to), to beneath the very bottom inside the fridge (literally under the drawer(s). For us that is 1 drawer. Your model will have one or two, depending.

Ok, so now two other things help a lot:

• Do not keep the fridge door open longer than necessary. This reduces massive condensation from the moist air in your kitchen to the cooling coils behind the panel at the rear inside your fridge.

Even still, over time, the moisture accumulates inside the fridge, overwhelming the balance, and the cooling fins freeze up. And … your wonderful issues.

So - every 1-3 months, as needed for your situation, simply pull out the very bottom tray(s) and soak up all the excess accumulated water with a great big towel. If convenient, also dry off inside the bottom drawers.

This will hopefully prevent the bigger issues that you are hitting.

Good luck!

I would say I pull the fridge and stove out and clean under and behind them about once every month and a half. But I have a dog that is a constant shedder, there are lots of insects where I live, dead geckos are common thing to find, and it is incredibly dusty in the dry season. It is definitely pretty dirty back and under there when I do pull them out.
But that doesn’t mean I’m some OCD clean freak apart from that in my own spaces. I am as far as the guest room/bathroom are concerned.

2 Likes

Ditto cat hair. I cleaned up under the cooker (that time when Mr Joan tried to kill himself with the electrics…) and found hair from the old cats who had met their aged demise over a year beforehand. The mop/broom pulls stuff out from under the fridge, but as it’s “fitted” into a cranny, it hasn’t moved in two years I suspect; last time we decorated.

A redec is due next week. It will be ouch.

1 Like

I would not expect my cleaners to do this on a regular turnover- perhaps on a deeper clean every 3 months maybe - it was ridiculous of the guest to try to ‘ help’ you by moving things if you ask me

3 Likes

First, I would never look under an appliance at an Airbnb. It is not something I would even think of - I don’t even prioritize cleanliness for my own personal travel, it’s not my thing.

However, we do clean under the range and fridge in our listings every time we clean. I never really put much thought into it. We scootch them over and hit it with the vacuum and then scootch them back. There’s always something under there. They are easy to move, stand alone units. If they were the kind that fit in between cabinets, I might not have thought of moving them.

If someone drops their earring or wedding band in the kitchen and can’t see it they are going to move the appliances so a regular clean is essential. You don’t want the guest to be the first to sweep the dead roach, mouse turds or hairballs out.

5 Likes