OK people - Chinese guests

You persist in believing that I am saying our culture is superior which is completely incorrect. What I am saying is that hosts are judgemental of people from other cultures for not behaving the way we do in our culture. I never called China and I never would call any country “third world” as I think the term is an insult.

I don’t know why you take such a caustic tone with me. I haven’t been rude to you.

1 Like

It is correct that Americans don’t know rice like cultures where rice is the main carbohydrate. Many of us consider it to be difficult to cook. I used to have a rice cooker for guests’ use. I gave it away because guests from different countries had different preferences in rice and I didn’t want to stock them all.

Hear hear. …

2 Likes

Again… in Hawaii, melting pot of the U.S., rice is served with every meal. My sons grew up with rice warming in the pot all day. When they went off to college they had to buy a dorm size rice cooker. Indeed, when I helped my son move into the dorm, I was amused to see FOUR individual rice cookers, one for each boy in the suite. I should have taken a photo of it, because it is…so Hawaii!

Whenever there is a longshoreman strike, here are the three things people here rush to hoard:

20 pound bags of white rice
Cases of spam
TP

In that order!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rice::rice::rice::rice::rice::rice:

2 Likes

That’s pretty funny. You’d think they would share one rice cooker in a cramped dorm room.

I’m sure you know that the rest of the country makes fun of Hawaiians love of Spam. We have some local Japanese markets where you can purchase Spam rolls.

1 Like

Oh Ellen… let me tell you stories of spam. Spam musubi is another staple here… it sounds gross, but it tastes pretty good! Fried spam, wrapped in rice and nori.

Here’s another funny story. To make extra money my sons decided to cook up spam musubi and sell them at school. They had a secret recipe (fry with shoyu and brown sugar)… they got up at 4 am to complete their cooking (guess who had to clean the kitchen afterwards, and who bought all the ingredients?? :rofl::rofl:) and then would sell them to students in between classes and at wiki. Kids would buy those before candy, which was also sold! Gave just enough of a carb energy boost that kids could mKe it to lunch. They managed to make enough money to buy the games they wanted. :joy::sweat_smile::moneybag::moneybag:They also took coolers of their product to town to sell to tourists and passersby.

Hawaii version of the lemonade stand!!!

3 Likes

Oh no… not too much sharing goes on in any dorm room!!

“I’m sure you know that the rest of the country makes fun of Hawaiians love of Spam.”

(“Makes fun…?” I trust you were joking.)

I am now on my tenth set of Chinese guests and none have asked for a discount.

I am so sorry that you feel you have to justify your knowledge of your own country to those from another country thousands of miles away.

I currently have two lovely young Chinese women, who are here for a year teaching in an exchange through the British Council, who confirmed that they use VPN to access Google and various social media.

Please do stay and contribute to our forum of hosts around the world who are on the whole a friendly bunch (although we do disagree from time to time).

3 Likes

Are you concerned that she mentioned it out loud, or are you concerned that the rest of the country makes fun of it?

There was a foody programme recently on BBC Radio 4 about spam being such a delicacy in S. Korea. I remember it with hatred as a child; spam fritters at school yuk.

I think it’s an offensive statement because it is neither true nor a common belief that “the rest of the country” makes fun of the Hawaiian peoples’ love of a particular food item. It serves to promulgate ridicule when forum members are so often chastised in turn for addressing subjects that are ethnic, cultural or physical in nature.

yes, but this is spam.
You didn’t mention anything to Kona, when she mentioned Hawaiins and spam, reinforcing stereotypes?

2 Likes

Indeed. Fed to those of us who were born whilst post war rationing was in force.

I enjoyed reading about kona’s boys being so resourceful in making money by doing Spam and rice rolls. She was not denigrating Spam. “Reinforcing stereotypes”? You’re off the wall about this.

1 Like

Oh come on, we Angelinos are stereotyped by many in this country. We don’t worry about it because we aren’t thin skinned and we’re too busy enjoying our weather to worry about what others think about us.

1 Like

Oh come on, you said the rest of the country makes fun of Hawaiians [sic] love of Spam. Different animal.

I’m pretty sure that @konacoconutz realized that I was joking. How is it a “different animal”?

1 Like

Thank you, then I will also.

I see you edited to add another sentence/question. It’s a different animal because you are off-tangent by comparing what others supposedly think about Angelinos which doesn’t apply. It was about your comment and if you can’t discern the difference, it’s on you.

And btw, you are thin-skinned, just not about being Angelino.

1 Like