Offering Condoms and Plan B

I prefer facts about what happened as opposed to speculation about what will happen.

As for the past it depends on time frame. I’ve seen 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Yes, I saw it, I read all the posts.

I found the nurse! :wink: And because I’m a healthcare provider too, I do understand where you’re coming from, but liability does not exist out of context.

An Airbnb host does not have a duty of care regarding OTC medicines (or any medicine for that matter). Also, the host would not be considered “dispensing” it or “giving advice” regarding it merely by leaving it in a drawer (and still they have no duty of care anyway). I think it’s best that medicine only be left available if it is in its original packaging (with all the warnings, etc) because the FDA has covered the concerns, dosage, etc on the packaging.

Of course, everyone should do what makes them most comfortable either way.

2 Likes

Yes @jjd you found a nurse.

I didn’t say anything about legal liability of the host. That is out of my area of expertise.

I was providing information and referring to basic humanity of avoiding unintentionally causing harm & stating what I could support.

People don’t read our rental listings. I don’t trust they are going to read those tiny print medication information & warning sheets in the medication boxes.

The host chooses what liability & risk they are willing to assume.

Not sure I’d have a pamphlet- it would stick out like a sore thumb amongst brochures of local attractions. But having the phone number of Planned Parenthood among a list of emergency numbers, along with local pharmacy numbers would be a good idea.

And to ward off complaints about the Planned Parenthood number from anti-abortionists, you could also list the numbers of local churches and church groups to show you aren’t playing favorites. :wink:

Too complicated, to many caveats. I just won’t be offering moral options or advise…just a place to stay with oatmeal and protein bars! he he he he

1 Like

@gillian Here’s one for you:

The US founding fathers were quite clear on separation of church and state. The US was settled by those escaping religious persecution. Laws based on conforming to the religious beliefs of whichever lawmakers happen to hold power is about as unAmerican as you can get. These people are no different from the Taliban in that regard.

2 Likes

Oh well!

I’ll take my chances.

She’s the one who chose to get political and I called her on it.

What I remarked about current events in the United States and Texas was on point.

And I tell plenty of people who don’t like the politics in California to move out of state if they can’t handle it given that it’s not going to change.

Actually, we were settled by those that were escaping persecution for their religion, not from religion. They weren’t trying to escape religion, they came here because they wanted to have their own versions of religion.

So people with religions that were just too wacky for the Church of England and too wacky for the Catholics, that’s who settled the US. When you think of it like that, it adds up to where we are now.

5 Likes

Yes, I realize they were fleeing from persecution of their own beliefs, I guess that wasn’t clear enough. But still, the First amendment does not specify which beliefs are protected, it protects freedom to worship whatever God you believe in.

You make a good point about who they were and the correlation to what we are now seeing. Puritans for sure. In word, if not deed.

1 Like

Epidemiologist here. I agree entirely with Nurse Anne. It used to be a thing to provide condoms in bars and clubs for people to take, but I don’t know if that happens any more - but it does reduce unplanned pregnancies and STDs for condoms to be conveniently available. Providing sanitary items for travelers sound very considerate. I wouldn’t provide Plan B, though including info on medical providers in info for guests is a great idea. Very thoughtful of you , Txjuju.

2 Likes

Thanks, Sarah. The comments on this topic have been kind of a wild ride.

I think I’ve settled on Nurse Anne’s recommendation to provide locations of the closest pharmacy and, perhaps, a Plan B brochure just to remind folks that it’s available (at the store) if needed. Condoms, on the other hand, have already been purchased and placed.

Many thanks to all the folks here who provided information and thoughtful comments, and especially to all of you who kept your cool when one or two others felt the need to cast aspersions on guests’ morals and hosts’ hometowns. :wink:

5 Likes

was just thinking about how a lot of my guests stay overnight as they are attending weddings, or just out for a lovely winery food/drink weekend.

They’ll be too sozzled to need condoms but i’m going to provide electrolyte tablets! We had a rather awful vomit situation a few weeks ago, and if I can help prevent that I will be happy to provide it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

did you find anything? haha, i don’t want to google.

Hey, I had a boyfriend for a short while who was a terrible alcoholic. I knew him a bit, we were working picking fruit at the same orchard. When we both ended up sitting around a bonfire at a local party one night, he started coming on to me, and I said, forget it, you’re too drunk, you’ll never get it up, maybe another time. He said, “I’m NEVER too drunk for that.” And he was right.
Not only was he almost always drunk, and could always manage the deed, he was the best lover I ever had.

5 Likes

lucky you! I’ve def had the opposite happen, won’t share on a public forum… ha.

1 Like

Actually the US was originally settled by North American Indians originally not white Europeans , who came from Asia.

Many white settlers who came so much later weren’t fleeing religious persecution they were economic migrants .

The Spanish and French migrants came way before the English @JJD

1 Like

There is some debate about Native Americans coming from Asia. They have a rich oral history, passed down through the generations, and some say there is nothing in that history that mentions having come from elsewhere- that they have always been here. Most Native Americans don’t have any history of, nor consider themselves “settlers”.

Of course, the human race migrated all over the place at some point, but what we refer to as indigenous peoples are exactly that, indigenous.

1 Like

You left out the Vikings? :flushed: But, seriously, it’s important to note that the US was not settled by Native Americans. It’s something that’s considered terribly irksome, derogatory to be accurate, among many since they were here long before the US, which is a only a mere 244 years old.

We were discussing white European settlers who came to the area to escape religious persecution, freedom of religion and separation of church and state, which all occurred in a relatively short time frame. So that’s why we weren’t more comprehensive about “representing” settlers in the Americas. Our discussion had been narrowed down to a very specific time period and some very specific enduring features of the US constitution. But that’s cool that you’re interested in it too.

My point was that this religious persecution thing is attributed to the Puritans and for some reason sometimes people think that we have freedom of religion and separation of church and state because of the persecution of religion that the Puritans were “escaping”. But it couldn’t be further from the truth!

The Puritans were notoriously intolerant of other religions and formed their government as a modified theocracy. In actuality, the Puritans were the opposite on both counts but are commonly mentioned when referencing freedom of religion and separation of church and state, to my vexation. (Awful folks by all accounts. Especially England’s. You’re welcome :wink:)

The person who championed the freedom of religion and the separation of church and state in the US had been kicked out of the first Puritan colony for being too tolerant (and not wacky enough). After being booted out from the Puritans and denouncing Puritanism he formed the colony that was the very first colony to have freedom of religion as well as separation of church and state (RI).

It’s also exciting to come across someone who is so interested in settlement patterns of the Americas. I’m a little nerdy about it since I wrote a thesis on it for my first degree (don’t worry, the second one was much more practical, lol). It’s something I still like to follow.

As an update, I imagine you may be interested to know that there were some very exciting discoveries in the last 12 years or so disproving that the Clovis (the Asians that you mentioned) were the first peoples in the Americas. It’s just another one of those things that DNA research has really opened up and it’s so cool. They haven’t been considered the first settlers in quite a while.

These relatively newly discovered peoples have received the unfortunate generic name of Pre-Clovis peoples. Still, researchers have confirmed that they were in the Americas many, many thousand years prior to the Clovis (the Asian Hunters that came over the Bering land bridge who we should probably, technically, stop calling Native Americans but since we’re still struggling with not calling them Indians in some school districts, it’s probably best to let it slide :joy:).

And then there’s also been a study also helped by DNA about sweet potatoes that supports other evidence of Polynesians being in America as one of the earliest settlers. The Polynesians were, admittedly, not much of a surprise to anyone, but I’m partial to sweet potatoes so I just thought it was interesting.

1 Like

It’s not so much doubt that some people came from Asia over the landbridge, there’s tons of evidence for that; however, it is that we now know that they weren’t the first to be on the American continents. There were other peoples before them.

1 Like

There are some indigenous in North America that have very Asian facial features, like the Inuit, the Haida, etc. who likely did cross the Bering Strait at some point in history. But there are many, many, Native Americans who do not look even slightly Asian, in their features or body type, and likely have zero to do with crossings from Asia.

It was actually a Native elder on a CBC television series I watched years ago, who said “We didn’t come from Asia. Nothing in our extensive oral history, our cave paintings, indicates that in any way. We have always been here.”

I also ran across some fascinating stuff about a group of people, called Melungeons, who settled in the Appalachians back in the late 1700’s, early 1800s, and there is also mystery surrounding where they came from and who they were. Some say they were Portugeuse, some that they were Africans, or freed slaves, some that they were Cherokees, but the most likely is that they were mixed race. They were dark skinned, more olive than black, had rather European features, but some had kinky black African hair and more negroid features. They have present day descendants in that area who also have differing opinions on their heritage.

1 Like