Offering Condoms and Plan B

Thanks for the interesting convo. Here is my updated left medicine cabinet. Another advantage of providing the gel is that a female guest can use it if her partner pressures her about not using or refuses to use a condom.

6 Likes

@Annet3176 Thanks for posting that info. I really didn’t know exactly how PlanB worked, so did some research myself before you posted that.

I could see a young woman, totally freaked out about having unprotected sex, or the condom breaking, just popping a pill without researching the contraindications.

3 Likes

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) is an emergency contraception pill that’s available over-the-counter (OTC). Plan B is not an abortion pill , and it won’t stop a pregnancy that’s already started. It works by preventing your body from releasing an egg.

Just want to clear that up. It’s dangerous calling it that.

1 Like

I guess you missed the post upthread where I was already corrected on that, my post upthread where I said I had now researched it (you are correct that I was not familiar at first with how it worked), and thanked the posters for the education.

Providing a medication to greatly alter hormone levels to a stranger, who may even be underaged, after all, do you know who is getting their hands on this?, seems quite a poor idea as a host.
I don’t think this is something anyone would ever expect, so if it were me, I’d be more aghast at the availability of such medication in an Air BnB.

2 Likes

I’m not Mindy, but rather her husband. I co-host.

Anyway, We provide tampons at our Airbnb in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

I don’t think condoms nor plan b are appropriate. You aren’t listed as a brothel.

I, speaking as the majority of your guests don’t want to explain the “balloons” nor “vitamins” in the drawer to my daughter should we choose your rental even though we are non-partiers.

1 Like

Excuse me? So only sex workers and their johns have sex in an Airbnb?

Should hosts not provide any extra toothbrushes because they aren’t listed as a dentist’s office? Perhaps they shouldn’t provide a kitchen because they aren’t listed as a restaurant?

And if your daughter is too young to explain what a condom is to, she’s too young to be looking through the bathroom drawers or medicine cabinet of an Airbnb on her own.

What does not being partiers have to do with any of this?

4 Likes

Ok. G’bye now. The app requires at least twenty characters. So this should do. 20!!!

I understand that.

I don’t know that you are though. Although maybe in that part of WI (we lived not too far from Green Bay for 15 years).

I am not sure what this has to do with it. But I understand what you are trying to say.

I could follow and understand the rest of your post (although not always agree, but it is fine to disagree), but here you crossed a line that I don’t think you should have crossed. The large majority of Americans, based on available data, have had sex with long, medium, or short term partners while traveling. Needing a condom or Plan B has nothing to do with the sex trade or industry, and implying that it does is wrong: it is down to calling names, I think.

5 Likes

Many of them threatening to make contraception illegal, as well.

I keep hearing this but haven’t seen any actual proof of this claim. I think this is really fearmongering from the media to whip everyone into a frenzy of hate. It’s working.

I have a little basket of things “just in case you forgot something” and within 1 week it was picked clean, so not sure i’ll be keeping it up. I hadn’t actually considered putting a condom in there, not really my business but not a terrible idea, but back to the first point: people will just take everything they can. And whilst I will supply my daughter with a box of morning-after pill, it’s not my job to provide such things for the rest of humanity.

I had an abortion when I found myself pregnant again when my third child was 9 months old. Both that pregnancy and that of my third were conceived in spite of me using birth control.

ha, again we have some similar tales. my 1st and 3rd child were accidents. I too seemed to have no probs falling pregnant, fell on our honeymoon with #1, and my husband had a vasectomy when my 3rd was 2 months old!

yep, agreed! and we do this, but how hard is it for anyone to google where the nearest chemist is…

I kinda love/hate how spicy these forums can get, with the faux outrage and what have you…

we’ve had quite a few hook ups and what not, and some hosts are appalled at this idea but i’m ok with it. just 3 days ago had a woman book the place for 5 hours only, why she felt the need to tell me that (well she tried to get a discount actually) was so odd, and we of course were very curious when she arrived. they drank a bottle of wine, 10 cups of coffee !!! (unless there’s something else you can do with coffee, haha), had sex and then a shower. it’s really not my job to provide them a condom too, although in the interests of keeping my sheets clean… perhaps it’s not a terrible idea! I provide a waterproof bed mat thingy to be used for little kids or menstruating women, purely for my own selfish reasons that I don’t want to deal with the clean up.

(quickly googles “coffee and sex” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)

2 Likes

Nurse Anne this is valuable and welcomed information. Thank you for bringing your expertise (and compassion) to this subject. You have convinced me that this is the safe way to go with this impulse. Gratitude! :heart:

2 Likes

Why do they always broadcast “Goodbye!” as if it’s a parting zinger? :rofl:

Just Google “US politicians who want to ban contraception”. Plenty to read. And those are just the ones who are saying it out loud.

Even if you keep up with world news, you might miss gems like this-

" In places like Washington D.C.," fetuses are “burned to power the light’s of the city’s homes and streets,” [claimed Catherine Glenn Foster]who had, just minutes before, sworn not to lie under oath. The GOP-summoned witness let loose the wild and utterly false accusation that municipal electrical companies are powered by incinerated fetuses."

Understand why people don’t put anything past these folks? There’s a vast difference between being a conservative and being a lunatic, and a large contingent of lunatics are trying to gain power.

3 Likes

@jjcrawford
Guess you get the award for most outrageous post from a first time poster.

4 Likes

Nurse Anne here-again.

It is your rental you may equip it as you wish.

I already explained factually why providing plan B may be good intended, but because of the side effects & education recommended, it is in my opinion better to provide access information.

Sex is between two consenting adults is a natural body function. It is just as natural as eating, sleeping, breathing etc. Our bodies, our hormones are designed for sex. The need for human touch is part of life. Talk to any worker in a senior care facility & I guarantee they will have a story about accidentally walking in on 90 year olds having a roll around.

Providing condoms may save a life. HIV while better treated & it is possible for treatments to reduce detectable viral load to be undetectable. It’s still there. The medications to control it may cause kidney or liver damage after long term use. At this time we don’t know exactly how long those medications can hold HIV at bay.

Condoms prevent the spread of STDs thus may save a life & can help prevent unintended pregnancies. They are fairly cheap. I don’t see a downside to providing them.

Available condoms & considering a rental a brothel are not related.

3 Likes

But we are human and make bad decisions. To hold pregnancy & risk of a deadly STD as learning tools to encourage people to be prepared & an excuse for not supplying cheap, effective condoms is jarring.

This is another way of saying: you deserve to have an unwanted pregnancy or you deserve to catch a deadly disease because you were unprepared!

According to this logic I should’ve been pregnant & sick in my 20s when I was a sexy little blonde. Please reconsider this line of logic.

2 Likes

Posters like this must have some key word search set up on their device, where links pop up about anything that outrages them and gives them an opportunity to spout their opposing views.

It seems too coincidental that someone would post for the first time, where they have never been seen before, for the purpose of posting their political or religious screed.

5 Likes

I’m a straight shooter and tell it the way it is.

Austin is literally one of the most liberal (“progressive”) cities in America, despite being in Texas.

Thus the “Berkeley East” remark.

Not surprisingly, it was taken down shortly after I posted it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if you “reported” it.

BTW: The original “poster” left quite a few “snarky” replies to those who remarked on her condom post.

The “community’s response” to my post is why Elon Musk is considering buying Twitter.

1 Like