Obese, smelly man broke my bed!

At least he’s a cultured liar.

4 Likes

Update: airbnb says they want an invoice for the new bed replacement. I sent the info from the website showing price and delivery. They’re canned response says letter head or official invoice. Cant get either without making a purchase. I am not purchasing until I get the money. Duh.:confused:

Oh dear…does one have to resort to creating a phony one? Maybe they have tightened down… how are you supposed to do all this within 48 hours? They know most hosts won’t and then they will win. Again.

Hi Christina,

Thank you for submitting a Host Guarantee form. In order to complete your request, we’ll need:

• Invoices, receipts or official estimates documenting the cost of repair or replacement for damaged items.

As a reminder, we can’t accept Word or Excel files, and any invoices, repair estimates, or receipts should be on official company letterhead. As you may know, under our Terms and Conditions, we are only able to compensate for the actual cash value (i.e. fair market value), of the physical damages in question. Additionally, we must advocate repair over replacement with respect to damaged property: https://www.airbnb.com/terms.

Please respond directly to this message within 48 hours with either the documentation requested above or a date by which you can provide it. If we don’t hear from you within 48 hours or receive the required documentation by the date you’ve provided, we’ll have to close this payment request. Replying directly to this message will help us resolve this issue as fast as possible.

I find this policy to be quite douche baggery.

2 Likes

You make me laugh!! :smile:
Sorry for the BS though

1 Like

VICTORY! :blush:

Paul M., Apr 14, 02:42:

Hi Christina,

I’m pleased to inform you that, after a full review of all documentation, we have determined that your request is reasonable and qualifies for compensation. We understand that this has been a difficult and stressful time for you, which is why we would truly like to thank you for your patience and kind understanding throughout this process.

We would like to move forward with issuing you a $206 payment in respect to this incident.

7 Likes

Hooray!!

Thanks for taking us along on this journey.

1 Like

Im a big believer in letting go of that which I cannot control. I did my footwork in trying to get this replacement reimbursement, but I had to let go of the “energy” behind whether they’d pay or not. That’s when the magic happens…in letting go of the outcome.

Two more bits of info.

1, I requested $290 - the cost of the frame and delivery. Don’t know how or why they offered me $206, but I took it because it’s do-able. I can probably get a whole new frame from Ebay or locally for that amount.

1. The guest left me a review. And you’re gonna love it!

“The place was nice and beautiful but she ended sooner and I got to sleep in the airport becaise of that because she sold the house and asked me to remove my stuff”

He thinks I sold my over overnight while he was sleeping?? LOL. I told him when he BOOKED, I was having a moving sale early Sunday morning and it might be noisy. I did not sell my home, I rented it and I don’t even move out until end of month. He was here on April 1st!

When I messaged him to leave early, I gave no reason. Just politely said his reservation was ending and to please remove his items. Which he did with no problem, surprisingly. Although he left a shirt and a pair of brand new shoes here. He was so out of it, he probably still has no idea.

I wonder if I can sell them on Ebay?:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Har har har hardee har!!!
This is the one time I would do a public response. Make it short and sweet.

" The home was not sold, nor is it for sale."

What a dumb nut! He was so drunk he didn’t know where the He** he was!

1 Like

That’s the kind of review that they should remove without question.

3 Likes

A careless, drunk 150 pound man with muscle who plops around carelessly could break your bed, furniture, etc. just as easily as a careful (not the guest from this thread) 300 pound man.

Weight at 250 has much less to do with it than carefulness and respecting a property. A 700 pound person on a standard kitchen chair is more risky.

I’m with you kona. It’s the guest’s responsibility to let a host know that his or her weight might be an issue. I had an Italian man stay for 3 days and the entire time I was on edge because he was huge. The kind of huge that made him sleep on his back because he couldn’t roll on his side. He was so nice, but he could barely get up the stairs. I was so relieved when he left because if he’d sat on some of my furniture he would have broken it. Oddly enough, I made the bed frame I use in my living room. It’s solid. Now that I think of it, he probably noticed it in the pic of my place and thought he’d be ok.

We have a trundle bed (“lit cigogne”) in one of our Swiss holiday flats but we only allow children to use it. We have US queen size (Euro King) IKEA beds in the other rooms for adults.

1 Like

My guess is you told them how old the bed was, and they pro-rated the $290 somehow to justify the $206

Ha! And people think MY list of rules is “draconian”…

@cs2015 why are you necroing so many really old threads !

EDIT:?Interesting thread now I’ve read it though :blush:

I actually think this guy has a serious alcohol problem and an acquired brain injury, he seems to genuinely not be comprehending what is going on here, which is probably good for him as he’s not getting how awful other’s experiences of him are. Bad for others though. I feel bad for you as host LC and glad you got your money back but assume that the guests has got some serious issues or trauma going on so I have some compassion for him too.

Well speaking as someone who actually is obese I don’t think it’s useful to speculate about why a person is obese. It’s no one’s business and comes off as smug. That’s just my opinion, however. Different people have different viewpoints.

Being an obese person I made sure that when I bought my bed for AirBnB, that it would withstand weight up to a pretty high amount. I tried to think of ways to avoid potentially embarrassing situations.

However I also know that were I not obese I might not think of that.

Yet the fact is that the guest was obese and drunk and didn’t handle himself appropriately. And personally I find being that drunk to be inappropriate to begin with. And being that drunk he failed to consider how to treat someone’s furniture in order to avoid causing damage to it. He seems like an absolute boor I mean that man can’t be bothered to correct the spelling or even use the right words LOL. Just seems careless in general. For anyone confused he didn’t mean to say Bach he meant to say back LOL.

For me if I were going to stay in an air B&B I would definitely ask about the furniture. I might not say that I’m obese but I would ask the questions that I need to so as to make certain that there was not going to be an embarrassing incident.

Because I am the one who does not want to be embarrassed. Because I’ve been made fun of enough in my life. So I take what steps I can to avoid that.

Don’t make this about weight. Overall that’s not the issue. The issue is behavior and respect for someone’s property. The truth is that a healthy-weight person could also have damaged the bed with the requisite behavior to do so. Admittedly, they’d have had to try harder. They also could have had BO. They also could have come to your home completely drunk and being ridiculous.

So to sum up, sure, one house rule could be about weight. Might sound offensive to some, but eh, everyone will live. We’ve all gottta do what we’ve gotta do. And if I saw a listing that gave me the facts straight up, in a completely factual way, I dont know that it would bother me. I might just be like, oh, good to know. I wouldn’t want to have an embarrassing situation!

Hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

…4 months later :slight_smile: :frowning:

2 Likes