Obese, smelly man broke my bed!

Not really. I couldn’t accommodate anyone with excessive weight at my house. It would break my furniture. If I were a guest weighing this much I would enquire of the host to see if I could be accommodated before just assuming it was ok, booking a place and wrecking their furniture. The guest was in the wrong.

And why am I being called out on “cruel insensitive comments” yet no one else on this thread was? Oh yeah, I think I know why.

1 Like

I doubt kona meant it like that at all, in all likely she was just making a realistic observation.

1 Like

I’ll tell you what’s cruel: showing a lack of respect for someone’s space and property. Obesity is a lifestyle choice. If you choose not to take care of yourself, you’ve gotta live with the limitations it brings.

4 Likes

Why did you let drunk people in in the first place? I would not and refund their stay.

2 Likes

Thank you Jackalaus. Anyone who knows me, knows I am not cruel and insensitive. Or mean spirited. Sort of shocked to see myself called out this way when the entire thread was discussing this subject… but then I had to consider the source.

1 Like

New here and just want to say this is the funniest thread title I’ve read in a long time! I’ve had some obese guests and it’s been highly problematic. One broke a slat in the bed (easily mended), one was unable to pick up anything she dropped on the floor. I worried all the time when they were climbing the stairs to go to the bathroom. Honestly, people that overweight are a liability. Sadly many of them are in complete denial about the problems their size creates, not just for themselves but for others. Smelly drunk people, on the other hand, come in all sizes.

2 Likes

What size beds are these people breaking??

1 Like

This is what I want to know. I have queen beds in all the rooms and if somone gets in one of those and breaks it then it is time to put a size limit.

1 Like

Exactly. The OP declined to address the legitimate question.

I can’t imagine what kind of flimsy bed might be in use. We have queen beds in each room too. I’ve seen some pretty large people arriving who used them, including a nearly 7-foot tall guy with his new wife on their wedding night. They had to be pushing 300 pounds each, not to mention the extra forces that might be applied to the bed by newlyweds. So, I’m failing to see how 400 pounds of drunk could smash the bed unless it was improperly assembled or otherwise cheaply made.

When people mention liability, the liability is on the host. If the provided bed falls apart and the guest gets hurt, they can sue you. If anything, it would be nice to know what sort of bed/size it was to prevent being in such a situation in the future.

2 Likes

It’s an issue. A quick internet search will show plenty of folks discussing their difficulties finding beds whose legs won’t bend, mattresses that won’t sag, chairs that will support them etc etc. because they are ‘big’. Our place has regular furniture which is fine for average sized people…all furniture has a weight load limit, for example, dining/office type chairs are made for people up yo 250 pounds. Above that, well, we’re going to see excess wear and tear, or at worst, breakage. :confused: Tricky.

1 Like

Exactly, Caiti. My place is not suitable for those with a disability and the morbidly obese count as disabled more often than not. I’m not into fat-shaming but neither am I willing to condone a preventable state that impacts other people. My beds are perfectly normal and comfortable for average weight people.

1 Like

I’d love for somebody to sue me because they were so fat they broke a perfectly normal bed and hurt themselves. Bring it on!

1 Like

Amen. My listing explicitly states that my home is not accessible for those who are disabled or have limited mobility. Kind of serves as a disclaimer.

Be careful what you wish for. How will you prove in court that it was, indeed, perfectly normal and properly assembled? Even if you prevail, a lawsuit is not something you want to deal with.

1 Like

^^^ In the US anything is possible.

1 Like

Ya ready for this?

Here is the guests response to my request for reimbursement for the damaged bed frame. Word for word, I kid you not:

“Good morning up to you what is the damage that I did because you know I didn’the stay there that much first day I dropped my stuff I even sleep there second dat I got there just to change clothes then I got Bach to sleep around 1am and I woke up an left 30 minutes later you told me to remove my stuff so what I did according to you?”

and then another reply…(Ive never replied to him)

“Are kidding me lol that frame was already broken remember first night you tried to set it up and we said is OK don’t worry we will only use the mattress because we are reasonable people but this is up to the line your are acting like a very bar person here and you know it God bless you Christina I forgive you”

So, I’ve been forgiven by a liar. :slightly_smiling:

Airbnb has replied saying I can now proceed to filing a claim with the host guarantee form which I am doing now.

Where does one begin?

1 Like

The OP has been traveling for a week and didn’t find it necessary to respond to your BS question.

Though you “can’t imagine” what kind of “flimsy bed” I have because you are the ultimate host who has perfect beds…let me 'splain to you now. It is a trundle bed, which pulls out from under a day bed. Metal frame, goes up and down on a spring. Have had many large men sleep in it just fine. Never had a 400 lb man before. HOWEVER…the other bed, the day bed, is much stronger and if he was smart he would have chosen to sit on that bed. Note, this all happened within 5 minutes of his arrival. There was no sleeping involved and the “flimsy” bed collapsed from under him. He flopped his drunk butt on the bed to sit. Plopping = more velocity, more pressure.

And, he did sleep on the stronger bed with no problem.

Happy now, Judge Judy?

Clever of him since Johann Sebastian has been dead since 1750 :slight_smile:

2 Likes