NYC data sharing

There is s new law for NYC that says you must share data with NYC unless you rent out for 30 days or more. But it also states if you only have 1 or 2 guests you dont need to share data. But then i get notice from air b and that only states the 30 days-or-more exemption. My place is for a single guest only so I should be exempt. If I dont share they will block all bookings starting Jan 1. Any one have more info? Air b and b was of no help (I will try them again.)

As I remember, “1 or 2 guests” was the maximum number of guests. Period. It’s not the maximum number before you’re required to share info.

So you are saying that from here on in NYC they are only allowing rentals of 1-2 guests?

That’s what I remember from hype over it last year, but I don’t host in NYC.

I think the exact city code you’re looking regarding sharing data with the city is here:

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/New%20York/admin/newyorkcityadministrativecode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:newyork_ny

in Title 26, Chapter 21, Paragraph 2 (26-2102).

Edit: I can’t figure out why the link isn’t clickable, but you can cut an paste it into a browser address bar.

1 Like

Genuine question why would you have an issue with sharing you booking data with your NYC @Mountainclimber17?

I was going to ask the same thing. :crazy_face:

I don’t per se, just trying to understand the ruling. I’m just trying to determine if it’s necessary for me to do so.

I might have got the completely wrong end of the stick here but doesn’t the ‘new law’ mean that Airbnb has to share its data about you? So you don’t have to do anything?

Apologies if I’ve got this all wrong.

1 Like

I think that’s true. Maybe hosts still have to share data for direct or other non-Airbnb booking services?

Possibly. Quite often the journalists who are reporting these ‘new laws’ refer to Airbnb when they actually just mean STR. Using the word ‘Airbnb’ often gets them more clicks. :slight_smile:

Yes, You have to actively agree to it.

Then I’d just agree to it and let someone else worry about the exact details.

1 Like

The original declaration made by NYC to collect Airbnb data was (rightfully) deemed unconstitutional by the courts and thrown out. NYC then made changes and according to Airbnb, they are now required in the settlement to provide host information to the City for anyone short term renting out rooms for more than 2 people. You are supposedly exempt if you are renting out for 30 days or longer, or less than 3 people to a unit. Keep in mind that in NYC there is Squatter’s Law so that if someone stays in your home for 30 consecutive days they obtain resident rights and it can take up to 9 months of court cases to remove them from the property. When Police arrive they will immediately ask how long the person has been there and if it has been 30 days or more then they have full rights to property.

I believe the collection of data on hosts is unconstitutional and a violation of privacy. Hosts have not committed crimes and should not be subject to have their information collected and made available to the public. Anyone will be able to FOIA request host information from NYC and obtain the information. Why should anyone be treated as such? Airbnb does not answer questions and just replies with links to news articles about the settlement and says they are forced to give the info. I have asked what data they send exactly, and there is no reply.

New York City recently amended a law that requires that Airbnb and all other short-term rental platforms obtain your consent to share your, and any other person who manages your listing(s), hosting and listing data with the City.

Consent to data sharing

If you don’t consent to sharing your data with the City, you won’t be allowed to host short-term stays on Airbnb. That means you’ll only be able to host guests for stays that are 30 nights or longer and will be exempt from the City’s data-sharing law. We’ll also need to cancel any short-term bookings with a check in date on or after January 2, 2021.

There may be benefits to hosting stays that are 30 nights or longer, like increasing your earning potential and reducing guest turnover. Hosting stays that are 30 nights or longer may also help you to reach new types of guests, like professionals working remotely. To learn more, review this help center resource on what to consider before hosting long-term guests.

Switching to 30 nights or longer is easy. Head over to your calendar and change your minimum nights to 30. If you’d like to continue hosting short-term, take a minute and consent to data sharing.

1 Like

You may believe that, but here’s the logic:

If you give your consent, it’s constitutional. If you don’t give your consent your constitutional rights are not violated because Air will remove your listing(s) from their platform. You do NOT have a constitutional right to be listed on AirBnB.

1 Like

If you give your consent, it’s constitutional. I do not know how forced consent to give up privacy makes it constitutional? I disagree with your statement for this. The point you seem to be making is that you either give up your rights and comply or piss off completely and do not participate so that only consenting people willing to give up their rights can be eligible to host. Sounds very fascist to me. I do not think that involvement in an enterprise constitutes sacrificing one’s rights or personal privacy. I’d also like to see where it says that the company can negotiate rights and exchange of personal information on your behalf with a City government without your knowledge, consent to represent, or personal representation in court. There is a difference between my personal information, and the company’s information. The company should not have the discretion to negotiate and strike bargains with government agencies or any other entity regarding personal information. If consent can be forced or the only measure required, then the initial ruling would not have been deemed unconstitutional, as it was. Excluding people from participating because they don’t want their rights violated, and their info shared & made available to the public should not be supported, encouraged, or allowed.

Forced means you have no choice. It isn’t forced because you can choose to no longer participate in the platform.

But I do agree that we should push back against invasion of privacy and all the other things the company does which are outrageous. And there are many things about Airbnb which are quite fascist, this is only one of them. For instance, suspending or delisting hosts because of some guest complaint which they refuse to disclose the nature of. They act like judge, jury and executioner and you aren’t even allowed to defend yourself because they won’t tell you what the charge is.

But no one forces us to list on Airbnb.

2 Likes

@Alex_Summers I agree with @NordlingHouse

If you want to continue to list with Airbnb then they (quite rightly in my opinion) Airbnb will share data with your local government to ensure hosts who are listing with them are doing so in accordance with your local legislation covering STRs.

If hosts are complying with this legislation I am not sure why they would have issues with Airbnb sharing their data.

There are still many thousands of NY hosts who are operating illegal listings i.e. letting out whole listings for 30 days who will find this more difficult to do this now and who will be worried about this agreement between Airbnb and NYC.

I don’t understand why your local squatters law is relevant in the context of this agreement between NYC and Airbnb.

I don’t agree with @muddy that it’s an invasion of privacy. Airbnb will share data with NYC to ensure hosts are complying with local STR legislation just as they do in Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona etc

If you want to run an Airbnb business I believe you should do so in compliance with local STR legislation and pay appropriate taxes, just as you would with any other sort of business.

I didn’t say sharing this particular information was an invasion of privacy, Helsi. I said we should push back against invasion of privacy- it was a general sentiment, whether it concerns Airbnb, govts, social media, etc.

This is what Airbnb says: