Number of guests allowed is 6 - guests are 6 adults and 2 children (2 and 1) - charge extra for the kids?

My listing states that the rate paid is for 6 guests - 2 additional guests can be accommodated for a fee of $10 per guest per night (for a maximum of 8 guests in total).

Upcoming guests inform that they will have 6 adults + two children, aged 1 and 2 years. And that 1 additional adult will be staying for one night only.

My inclination is to charge for the extra 2 children at $10 per night each. This is because whenever I host families with small children the clean-up is always more extensive because of sticky finger prints everywhere or glass and mirrors etc. and just in general.

Thoughts please - Am I being “greedy” asking for more for the two kids?

1 Like

In my opinion, a guest is a guest (except for an infant). If they are going to use a bed, they don’t count any differently than an adult. I would charge.

I charge for every “body” they all use utilities

4 Likes

As per Airbnb policy you can’t charge for children under the age of two.

You can try but be prepared for blowback if the guest knows more about Airbnb policy than you do.

2 Likes

Ooh, good to know. I didn’t notice the ages listed in the post.

Thanks for making me aware of the “under 2 years old” policy. Appreciate it.

1 Like

If you have a whole house with a hot tub then I’d say charge more than an additional $10 for the extra people. A rate for a couple then $25 for each extra will make the families with children under 2 less painful.

And if you don’t have exterior cameras to monitor how many people they bring in, get them.

1 Like

It’s unfair you can’t charge for the toddlers because they cause more mess/damage. Yet you can charge for dogs

3 Likes

Imagine if octomum turned up to a listing which charges per person, 8 little toddlers trash the place and she pays for one person :rofl::octopus::octopus::octopus::octopus::octopus:

2 Likes

Octomum? Indeed you’d need 8 arms to deal with that many kids.

You don’t remember this sad case desperate for social media fame?

Octomum and her 14 kids- another great American claim to fame

No, that’s just too depressing. Why was she given IVF when she has mental health issues? Surely an ethical breach. In the UK of course she’d be asking for 2 council houses to be knocked together for her.

1 Like

Airlines do not charge for lap children. Based on their ages, I would consider them lap children. Therefore, I personally would not charge.

The damage, noise and mess of toddlers is not proportionate to their size.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t it be great if people like you could have a no charge policy and people like me could charge and then the guest would be responsible for choosing the accomodation that fits their family’s needs?

I see no comparison between a lap child and a child having the run of a house.

3 Likes

We are not talking about a plane where people are confined to their seats :seat: we are talking about babies and toddlers roaming making lots of sticky fingers mess and we are not multi million dollar airlines! Also Most international airlines charge for children 0-23 months, 10-75% (most onnthe lower scale) and there must be one full paying adult per each ‘lap baby’ sharing a seat.

Perhaps Airbnb could compromise and bring in a 25% charge and max one baby per paying adult.

Personally I don’t allow any under 12s but I’m a private room, not set up for children

In my opinion hosts should 100% be able to choose whether they want children or pets, whatever type of listing they have. I think it’s insane that hosts are forced to accept ‘emotional support animals’ and children against their will.
Lots of hotels and resorts are couples/adults only. Airbnb should allow for such variety.

4 Likes

It’s not to their advantage to do so. Their customers are the guests, not the hosts. Hosts and their property are just commodities.

Don’t hit me up with reality so early in the day, @K9KarmaCasa–darn you! :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, and there are singles who like to go on quiet work trips or retreats, and couples young and old who want to go on child free holidays. They are Airbnb customers too!
Let the children and dogs go where they’re welcome. It’s a niche opportunity for hosts who would really enjoy it. If I moved to a place with more space I would consider it myself. No need to force hosts to take children or dogs whatsoever.

1 Like