Nobody Should Be Traveling For Fun Right Now COVID-19

What in the holy freaking hell did I just watch?? That is unbelievable. We’ve spawned an entire generation of callous degenerates. How lovely.

The West Coast is all but shut down, locked down. San Francisco is going to be the gauge for how to react correctly. Shelter in place and save lives. Flatten the curve. There are young people in their 20s intubated in ICUs right now.

The Spanish flu of 1918 is also a gauge of how not to react to a pandemic. St Louis vs Philadelphia. St Louis locked down all schools, churches, etc, practiced social distancing, banned gatherings. Philadelphia held a parade with 200k people. Philadelphia had ten times the amount of deaths as St Louis.

Whoever raised these young people in this video, FAILED. But this is also a failure of our government for not taking decisive action sooner, for eliminating the pandemic response task force, for not taking the virus seriously and calling it a hoax, confusing the public into thinking that it is not even a grave issue. Now we are left with this sh**show.

Ignorant imbeciles who have no idea that their actions are not only endangering themselves, but their actions will surely cause deaths. Every city should be on lockdown for large gatherings. Enforced. There should be daily bulletins and press conferences to inform and EDUCATE the public. Otherwise, it looks as if certain politicos want people to die. Some days I just can’t deal with the ignorance of my country. It is stomach turning watching that video.

7 Likes

If you have a federally insured mortgage there are programs. See my post from yesterday about them.

1 Like

Spring break from what? These idiots actually go to school? They should all be locked up together to get drunk, play on their cell phones, and enjoy the coronavirus some of them surely have and all of them will. Just so they aren’t let out to infect others.

1 Like

I read in yesterday’s Guardian of similar shit going on here in the UK, with students holding huge parties in their Halls before going home. UCL sustained considerable damage in one Hall on Tuesday, with some students about to lose their places, or as we menacingly say “sent down”. The shame is great and for this, deservedly so.

London is well ahead of the rest of the UK in terms of rates of infection, and will probably be the first place to be locked down. London Underground has suspended weekend 24 hour trains to stop the night time economy in Central London. It’s time our very own Orange Man closed everything in the leisure sector to stop this.

5 Likes

:see_no_evil: Jesus, they just don’t realise what massive life changing reality of what’s here right now .
Sadly they’ll learn and realise the hard way when it starts affecting them and they’re loved ones

3 Likes

Hubby has me under house arrest. I am a Type 1Diabetic. At the moment I can work from home. We have shut down our Airbnb until the end of May at least. Hubby loses his pocket money. But we are ok and not risking it. Hope you all get through it.

4 Likes

Several things

1. Yes spring breakers partying in groups are insane idiots
  2. I agree some travel & risk of exposure is unnecessary and reckless
  3. I’m counting on people within driving distance choosing to social distance at beach. My rentals have cancelled for the next month.

I’m hoping some new guests will get tired of social distancing at home and decide to rent my condo so they can take walks on an an uncrowded beach, prepare their own meals or order carry out.

2 Likes

Yes, we have opened our calendar because we have a number of healthcare workers coming into the region…in preparation for what’s to come, scary! We are blocking out days before and after to not enter, or try to turn the rooms on the same day.

We also have some people trying to get back home by car, and one couple who is bringing their parents some supplies but didn’t want to stay in their family’s home.

There are most definitely people still needing to circulate, but very cautiously, to either help with the ill, soon to be ill, in the medical field to set up and build extra triage facilities and be with family, but traveling with extra health vigilance.

I’m surprised by the number of reasons why people are coming from other areas, and/or needing accommodations that I hadn’t considered. They want to be in safe, small places rather than large hotels and airports.

I was just flipping out over having to explain/refuse people asking me “are the bars still open up there?” Uh no, imbecile, and let me tell you why…! They each got a small book of information in messages. Just had those prior to this post. smh

3 Likes

Thank you so much! Appreciate it!

I got a booking inquiry today for 7 days starting tomorrow but they did not say what the purpose was for visiting. I responded, "Hi …, there is currently a shelter in place order for the state of California. There are exceptions for some travel. What is the purpose for your trip? I haven’t heard back but it would be great to have a booking if this person falls under the exception. Could be a traveling nurse etc.

I was in India and then UAE and returned into SFO on Feb 4th. We knew (sis and I) that something BIG was happening and when we got back, it was all ho hum here in the US.

We were on a tour in Abu Dhabi and the guide is passing out masks, and the Asian tourists all have masks and plastic gloves and face shields on, something must be really serious. I got home to Oregon and immediately dusted off my already “hoarding of food and bath supplies tendencies.” …its a gut feeling.

1 Like

Such poor judgement. It’s one thing to be such an idiot. It’s another to memorialize it forever to future prospective employers, who may easily find it with other “social media blunders” during a hiring & interview process.

So silly …

4 Likes

Our governor still hasn’t issued an order telling state workers (about 40% of the local workforce) to work from home if possible, and different departments have different rules. From what I can tell, supervisors that are control freaks can’t handle folks working from home. Unions are getting involved. But the Gov did ask non-essential businesses to close and folks to stay home as much as possible. All bars and restaurants are closed except for takeout food.

Called my local hospital and was routed to the HR director so I could let him know I’ll have rooms, but… I want to know their decontamination procedures, and I’ll want the (90 day off-platform lease) tenant(s) to shower and change at the hospital before heading here, and no washing of scrubs here. They normally add extra temp staff for summer cruise ship season but they are adding more now when they can find them.

So it’s time to make an online brochure to send him…

I’ll just post this, hopefully manage to do it, as I feel that’s its realistic , scientifically experienced grounded advise I’ve been sent by a friend in the UK.
We are socially isolating, despite nurses and social workers in my home and family, knowing that at some point we’ll all be in expected mandatory isolation, we are trying to contribute to supporting our society while wet are able to.

2 Likes

From a friend of mine. Worth a listen xx

I came on here this morning because in the last three days (property in Scotland) I have had two requests to book for prolonged periods of time. Bookings were very light this year until the summer period, which is normally our busiest time, so we are empty until the beginning of May (had an April cancellation due to the virus). I’ve been really rather worried about accepting a booking at the moment - I took automatic booking off and now have no way of knowing (without asking) what the people are like and where they are coming from. The most recent said they had sold their house in January and were planning to travel around the UK. Obviously they can’t now. We also have a ‘stay’ on landlord evictions for the next three months, which worries me when I think of accepting a guest for over a month. I would love to help these prospective guests, but I am worried about having someone stay in this crisis and then transmitting to the next guest - or not being able to get rid of them. What would you all do?

2 Likes

Hi @CathyT

You know Nicola Sturgeon has introduced a ban in Scotland on the use of self-catering cottages and B&Bs in Scotland which would cover Airbnb to try and halt the spread of the virus, as people were travelling up to the Highlands and Islands and spreading the virus.

You are only able to accept bookings from local key workers who need somewhere to live so they can do essential work such as doctors and nurses.

So probably best to block off your accommodation while the ban is in place or make it clear in your title that you are only accepting local key workers.

2 Likes

Latest from the UK government:

Guidance is for people planning to visit second homes or holiday premises during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Essential travel does not include visits to second homes, camp sites, caravan parks or similar, whether for isolation purposes or holidays. People should remain in their primary residence. Not taking these steps puts additional pressure on communities and services that are already at risk.

The background for this: after a February of heavy rains and floods everywhere, yesterday was the first nice Spring day we’ve had. Despite all pubs, bars, restaurants, &c. being closed, people came out in droves - parks, beaches, beauty spots were all crowded with not a thought being paid to “social distancing”. People are also going on holiday in numbers - to Cornwall and the Lake District especially - which risks overrunning local service provision. I’m afraid that something really horrible is going to have to happen - lots of deaths in one day, perhaps - before people sit up and take notice.

4 Likes

Hi Helsi - thanks for that. Didn’t know, but have just been googling. I don’t think she’s banned holiday lets, just said we shouldn’t be doing it (which is my feeling exactly)! That was yesterday. The woman I was considering today fortunately told me she’d changed her plans, so the current problem has gone away! Still not sure what to do about the guests arriving in May who booked months ago! Your info much appreciated - thanks!

Based on the latest guidance I’m cancelling all upcoming bookings - not fun :anguished:
Social media posts in my area (by local residents) are registering outrage that the public are ignoring government advice regarding non essential travel. Local beaches have been closed. I’ve decided to be responsible and protect my local community.

5 Likes