No show requesting half refund

Dear Forum, this is my first time to post here. I am confronted with the situation and not sure what to respond. My guest booked last minute and I accommodate. They didn’t show up and text me the next day requesting if I can wire them half the booking fee amount for them to go to a cheap motel.

1 Like

They booked, they paid, then decided not to avail themselves of the accommodation.

You’re under no obligation to refund.

Forget it and move on to your next guest.

JF

7 Likes

Don’t wire them anything! It might be a scam in which they get money from you and then they contact Airbnb and get a full refund. Remember that you have not received the payout for that booking. Tell them to contact Airbnb if they wish to get a refund.

6 Likes

Please don’t wire them anything. This sounds like a scam and, even if it isn’t, they should take everything - including all communication with you - through the Airbnb platform. They booked through Airbnb so it would be your best interest to let them handle it. I would upload that text to the platform and message them through the platform that all communication must go through Airbnb’s messaging.

Be cautious and safe.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this advice, I will follow it.

2 Likes

Thank you for opening my eyes on this. I will follow through

2 Likes

@Pelthia_Makgatho - welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

This is a scam, report them to Airbnb.

Never, ever wire money to anyone you don’t know personally.

5 Likes

Report them to Airbnb at once. Do not refund a penny. If they contact you again, ignore them.

4 Likes

DO NOT REFUND! DO NOT EVEN REPLY. Report them to AirBnB immediately.

YOU DO NOT REFUND ANYONE ANYTHING> That’s AirBnb’s job – part of the reason they get a percentage of each stay.

3 Likes

I want to enforce what others have said. This is most likely a scam.

Airbnb is very clear that you should not use any off-platform payment methods to receive money from or send money to guests.

The most likely scenario is that the guest’s payment is fraudulent and since it’s last-minute, Airbnb’s system might take a little time to reject it. You will never get a payout from it. If you make a refund through an off-platform payment system, then you are losing your own money because you never received any of the guest’s money.

5 Likes

I don’t think in this case you’re obliged to do anything, they did not show up, so your guests are technically not covered by the flexible cancelation policy

Incidentally, what’s this about the ‘spirit of Ubuntu’?

FFS, you never heard of Google.

Barnsley burds… :roll_eyes:

JF

3 Likes