No Guns Allowed - is that possible?

So @christianrogner

Have you just come on here just to demonstrate your bigotry against ‘immigrants and refugees’ and your misunderstanding of terrorism in Europe and the use of guns?

We in the UK are just reeling from two terrible terrorist attacks - which didn’t involve guns, in our brilliant, multi-cultural cities. We don’t let bigotry and fear divide us. We know we are stronger together and that we won’t let the actions of a few terrorists who have nothing to do with the Muslim religion divide us, or turn us against immigrants or refugees…

It is completely inappropriate for you to come on here at this time, with your divisive comments. I have nothing more to say to you.

2 Likes

Well if they have a gun and you don’t, I think at gunpoint guests would actually prevail. They might force their way into your home.

Just joking, of course. As has been said by others, I am glad to be living in a country where this kind of discussion sounds absolutely ridiculous.

1 Like

It sound ridiculous to a sizable portion of this country, too.

2 Likes

wow didnt even realise this was a problem in the US, thank god you cant have guns in New zealand, wouldnt want people coming to my house with a gun!

1 Like

Hi All - I’m the host who posted the question in the first place. Thank you all for your replies, thoughts and reactions. I just returned from a trip to three countries in Europe where people wouldn’t even know this is an issue. I feel encouraged that I can, indeed, post “No guns in the house” on my listing. I feel chagrined, knowing that most guests won’t read the house rules. And I hope for a far better day when, here in the US, this won’t be an issue any longer. (but maybe I’ll have to wait for heaven for that! :wink: )

1 Like

Unlikely. I live in a part of Texas where guns aren’t worshipped.

I grew up with guns, have fired guns ranging from a .22 to a muzzle loaded .50 cal., and I own my father’s old .20 ga. now. If backed into a corner without escape and faced with a direct threat to my life I might use it to kill or maim an intruder. I wouldn’t kill someone who merely wanted stuff. I don’t like tools and laws that encourage people to become judge, jury and executioner. Well trained police make terrible mistakes all too often and allowing anyone without a criminal record to play that role is a mistake, imo.

I have an anecdote too. The best man at my wedding was a gun aficionado. He was someone who valued property more than lives and took his gun to confront thieves on a property he was paid to manage. He and his brother in law were both shot and killed, a tragic ending that could have been easily avoided. I blame his belief in guns and his personality rather than the inanimate gun. But had not he owned a gun he and Peter would probably not have died that night. They would have called the sheriff.

I have another acquaintance who also believed in guns for protection. She also died because she was killed by someone she knew.

There should be no dispute that gun owners are more deadly than terrorists. Unintentional shootings kill hundreds (500+) every year. The numbers are almost certainly worse than reported (but better than they used to be which is good news.) Almost all the data about gun violence is flawed. As long as the gun lobby wields massive and disproportional influence, where research into gun violence is unfunded and discouraged, and where fear is the primary motivator, it’s hard to make measured arguments.

6 Likes