No Guns Allowed - is that possible?

As we all know most guest do not read the house rules.

I have hunters stay so I assume they have guns. And as has been said you would not know if they concealed carry.

Begs the question if it is in breach of AirBnb’s non discrimination policy most likely yes if they were legally carried…

Discrimination is usually against what people are (Jewish, Muslim, differently abled, female, LGBT, etc.) not something they do by choice such as carry a gun.

2 Likes

Religion isn’t a choice?

AirBnB state that they go beyond specific protected classes.

1 Like

Religion is something that people are, not an act that they can stop doing for a period of time. Here is Airbnb’s Discrimination Policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclusion-and-respect

Inclusion – We welcome guests of all backgrounds with authentic hospitality and open minds. Joining Airbnb, as a host or guest, means becoming part of a community of inclusion. Bias, prejudice, racism, and hatred have no place on our platform or in our community. While hosts are required to follow all applicable laws that prohibit discrimination based on such factors as race, religion, national origin, and others listed below, we commit to do more than comply with the minimum requirements established by law.

Belief in guns as a good thing or dislike of guns as a bad thing is a lot like religion. Both sides cite “facts” and the other side chooses other facts and neither side convinces the other. Guns are legal and if you have the fanciful belief in their magic powers you are just as welcome in my airbnb as anyone else.

Or, no. Religion is something that people decide to believe. That can change very quickly, for instance. You certainly don’t wake up and change your skin color, or your gender but you CAN decide that a mythology you follow no longer fits you. Just a sidenote you know.

People cannot leave their religion at home while they stay at your house. They can leave their gun at home.

I understand your point but their religion can be left out of the airbnb too.

1 Like

Nobody said it couldn’t.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone, anywhere needs to have guns in their home. However if you are going to have them, then they should be properly locked away and ammunition kept separately.

That being the case they would present no danger to a guest adult or child.

Hi @KKC

I think as this is an international forum you need to accept guns aren’t legal in many countries.

So perhaps best to say ‘guns are legal in the US’.

3 Likes

My guest contract in my listing has a “no firearms” provision. Whether it’s enforceable or not is a question. My lot backs directly on an elementary school playground. I don’t want anybody cleaning a weapon on the property.

Oh I believe you absolutely have the right to think that just like anyone has the right to think anything they want to and also the right to express their thoughts. You see tolerance is about living with the fact that other people’s thoughts and expressions may piss you off but that’s the only way to assure that you will not be discriminated against either. And that’s where so many fall short. Oh and by the way, guns are legal everywhere as long as the laws are followed and you would be surprised how many police officers do NOT unload their duty weapon nor do they store it in a safe or separate from ammunition because that defeats the purpose of a gun which is a way to defend yourself against an attacker. Like, you know, someone who wields a knife or screw driver or tire iron…
The beautiful thing is that when we have civil exchange of thoughts like we do on this forum we accomplish so much more because from the posts I have seen, the vast majority expresses a desire to understand and work alongside with versus judge and push away.
Oh and one more thing: With anything, be it motor vehicles, firearms, etc. what REALLY matters is the level of training with the tool because seeing what some law enforcement officers do with their firearms scares me big time! And thank you Helsi for your reply to my post, beings able to politely disagree is the real definition of diversity!

Helsi wasn’t posting her opinion. It is an indisputable fact that in many countries only law enforcement and military personnel are legally allowed to own firearms.

2 Likes

Of course I have the right to think that @christianrogner - I fortunately live in a democracy.

You asked for people to express their opinions but seem by the tone of your reply not to like the fact that I provided mine.

By the way it’s not true to say it’s legal to have guns at home in every country in the world; for example in China private citizens aren’t allowed to own guns.

Where I live you need a firearms certificate issued by the police to possess, buy or acquire a firearm or shotgun. You must also have a certificate to buy ammunition.

Certain firearms are completely prohibited. You won’t be able to get a certificate for them and it is an offence to possess, buy or acquire them without the authority of the Home Secretary.

It is an offence to be in possession of a firearm, a shotgun or dangerous air-weapon and certain ammunition without a certificate or to be in possession of a prohibited weapon.

Certainly. As I’m in the US, and was speaking of whom I welcome in my airbnb, I was referring only to the US. Since I live in TX, one of the gun worshipping states I wouldn’t be surprised to see our legislature pass a law saying I have to allow guns in my airbnb. There are believers in this state that follow the doctrine of “constitutional carry.”

Helsi, every country has their own definition of “legal” which is what I was specifically talking about. So whatever is legal in your jurisdiction is what’s legal.

So if a private citizen has an exemption from the authorities authorized to grant that exemption then it IS legal for the private citizen to have a firearm at home. Even in China!

Plus, thugs live everywhere, even where you live.
So here is a sample statement from a thug:

“Gun control? Its the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. I’m a bad guy; I’m always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I’ll pull the trigger. We’ll see who wins.”
– Sammy The Bull Gravano, whose testimony convicted John Gotti.

And here is a judge on the notoriously liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:
“The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed – where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.”

• Justice Alex Kozinski

Ready for straight talk? The reason a small minority of so called “immigrants” and “refugees” are able to get away with their racist, homophobic, terroristic and ungrateful behavior is because the politicians and the courts in say several European countries have nothing to fear from their disarmed populace. Simple as that!

But it gets even simpler:
You may not like guns, and choose not to own one. That is your right. You might not believe in God. That is your choice. However, if someone breaks into your home the first two things you’re going to do are: 1) Call someone with a gun. 2) Pray they get there in time.

And seriously, if you cannot see at least some logic AND humor in these statements, well, you have the right to be that way and I respect that right LOL

If someone breaks into my house and I’m home, my first step is to see if I can safely exit the home. Then I would call the police. Praying would be a complete waste of time and confronting an intruder with my weapon is the most dangerous option.

I don’t share your dystopian view of humanity and I’ve never needed a gun in my 60 years of living in the suburbs, working, traveling cross country, sleeping in my car in rest areas, camping, or hiking,

3 Likes

I believe it is wonderful nothing has ever happened to you in all those years.
My nephew was robbed at knifepoint at age 11 in broad daylight in Zurich because someone wanted his ipod… So I do not share your rose color glasses view even though I wish it was like your experience all the time. Again, it’s about choices and not a negative worldview. And since you live in Texas you would more likely be viewed as nuts by some of your neighbors if they knew about how you feel than say in Boston. The fact is your neighbors would be wrong because that’s prejudice and not freedom and that’s what makes AirBnB such an amazing program because we all learn to respect each other’s choices.
And thank you for being an AirBnB Host who makes that all possible :slight_smile: