News article about Cameras in AirBnb's

I am so NOT tech savvy…so please excuse my questions. All three of my entire house AirBnBs have their own router. They have WiFi, cable TV, and Ring video doorbells. If they unplugged the router, the internet and TV, as well as the Ring video doorbell, would not function, correct? And when they plugged the router back in, everything would automatically work again, correct?

1 Like

Yes, these would all go offline, then go back online once the router is plugged in.

RR

2 Likes

I have the Ecobee 3 The app does not need wifi I can use it in the car or anywhere, the ecobee needs to be where it can log into the wifi, and I guess if yo do not have data on your phone you would need to be on wifi to use the app.

RR

Edited to add, yes I do like it.

Also, do each of them have their own Internet connection? I’d recommend you make sure you’re not using the default password on the routers.

1 Like

If anyone is looking into automation I highly recommend the Samsung Smart Things hub. It supports z-wave and Zigbee devices.

Why? The routers are three separate routers in three separate homes. None of the routers are shared.

The default password is the one that came on the routers out of the box. You want to change it to make it harder for anyone to hack your router.

1 Like

I guess I’ll need to google how to do that.

1 Like

In addition, they could turn your router into whats called a “rouge access point” and use that to attack others. Changing the default password is pretty important. What model do you have?

No idea. They are all three different. I believe they are all ones the cable company issued us.

1 Like

Ohhh, well, that will be fun then. They’re usually not easy to work with. :laughing:

Just to be clear, these cameras are just on the outside?

If you are asking me…yes, they are all outside…Ring video doorbell cameras so they are mounted by the front door.

Wait, @Icklemiss they’re supposed to be on the outside? :man_facepalming: In all seriousness, I have a number of HD outdoor cameras. None in the Loft itself. All of mine are in plain sight in common areas.

For routers, yes, definitely change the password. Even do it on your own home’s router to prevent hackers messing with it and hijacking your connection.

Connect to your WiFi, and enter “192.168.1.1” into the web browser’s address bar to access the router itself. This is the most common address, but if not try “192.168.2.1” or “192.168.3.1”.

When prompted to login, try:

User: admin
Password: admin

This is probably the most common default setting. If not, you should Google the make and model, or contact the internet provider.

Once you’re in, there should be an option to change the password.

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate the help!

1 Like

Fire up your web browser, because most routers these days have a built-in web server for configuration. Just enter 192.168.1.1 as the web address for most routers.

1 Like

Hahaha! I never know with some of you :wink: I always feel so lax in comparison. Someone could bring a dead body into the suite…or I guess one would be taking it “out” and not in…and I wouldn’t know.
AND I have cameras!

Talking about user names, someone locally had a guest account and it was called ‘AirbnbGuest’. That wasn’t a good idea as the host was hosting illegally in every possible way. Needless to say, he didn’t last long. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a much preferred scenario. If they bring one in, that’s some serious extra cleaning. Heavy-lifting even ,)

3 Likes