News article about Cameras in AirBnb's

So I read this today

So the authors advice to check for cameras, because you know hosts are all spying on their guests, is to unplug the router and wait and see if the host calls you to ask why the router is unplugged…

I have it in my rules that tampering with the security cameras will result in eviction as many hosts probably do. Time to build that cabinet to lock up my router. The other thing is there are devices to scan the wifi to see what is on it, so they can see if cameras are on it. So those that do not read the camera disclosures will freak out. I am going to make sure now that the cameras are not on the guest network and therefore not able to be detected. Even though they are disclosed.

RR

2 Likes

I use a guest network for my guests’ wifi so this would not work at my house. They would only see the Roku TVs and their own devices on their network.

2 Likes

I do too, I just need to check and make sure the cameras are not on it. At first I did not use a guest network so I am not sure whats on what.

RR

Edited to add, I think I answered my own question, I set up the guest network after the cameras so they would not be on it. I am still going to check though.

2 Likes

I’m sticking with my solution from the last post about this:

5 Likes

And per the thread we had the other day…

…my router and wifi extender are locked up so guests cannot tamper with them.

(edit) I just wanted to add that of course there are no cameras inside my Airbnb, only exterior security cameras. These are visible and clearly disclosed to guests.

2 Likes

Oops double posted with @JJD!

2 Likes

I think I might just rent a bunch of airbnbs to try out my “looking for hidden cameras” technique. I might wear a funny hat too.

2 Likes

Ideally, @JJD, a tin foil hat. To protect you from wifi rays.

3 Likes

OMG this reminds me of something that happened on the ship when I was in the Navy. This oddball borderline 5150 kid who wanted to get kicked out took a can of Zippo lighter fluid, yes we ALL smoked and we all had Zippo lighters with the ship engraved on it, I still have mine:) (I quit smoking) and emptied it out, filled it with water and went in to the officers mess and squeezed it out (imagine a squirt gun) and sprayed all the officers in there and then lit his lighter with a deranged look on his face… I was a cook, and was in the adjacent galley and heard them all scream and start running out.
He did not get his wish, had they kicked him out they could not have punished him for months to come. He was demoted to E-1 and put on restriction, extra duty for what seemed like forever, 90 days I think.

Thanks for reminding me I laughed out loud just now remembering that.

RR

3 Likes

@RebeccaF I like the way you think. You wanna meet me at some airbnbs to root out the hidden cameras? I’d say “lets all go” but then it will look like a party and we’ll have a different problem :rofl:

4 Likes

Fiendishly brilliant!

2 Likes

We have outdoor cameras only, that cover the common areas. They come in pretty handy. We also have a dedicated WiFi SSID with host isolation. The guest WiFi is on an access point in the main house. If anyone has their guests on the same network as their house I’d immediately stop doing that. It’s an invitation for a malicious guest to get into all of your personal tech.

If anyone needs help with this please let me know.

Bill

5 Likes

Having a separate guest network also makes it easy when you change the guest password - then you don’t have to reprogram the password on every device in the house, just the ones on the guest network.

3 Likes

Thanks @WinsomeLoft for a helpful first post and offering to help. Welcome to the forum I am looking forward to learning with you and from you.

RR

3 Likes

Sometimes I think it would be fun to name my network “secret hidden camera” just to mess with people. But not everybody shares my sense of humor. :wink:

There was a network in my neighborhood for a while named “FBI van #2”.

5 Likes

Laugh out loud, I used FBI surveillance Van before!

RR

2 Likes

I think I’d just keep quiet and wait until they called me and asked why the AC/heat wasn’t working and THEN I’d ask them why they were messing around with the router.

4 Likes

My pleasure! We have been hosts for a few months now, but we undoubtedly have a lot to learn!

I do find it slightly frustrating that the article implies that because a host notices that you took down their tech that they’re automatically some kind of weirdo. I have more that 75 IoT devices between our house and the loft.

3 Likes

My heat is on an Ecobee thermostat, I am pretty sure it will still work without wifi I just wont be able to turn it down when my good friend @Militaryhorsegal turns it to 80 (just kidding Mil)

RR

3 Likes

I need to change ours out. If I can ask - Do you like the Ecobee and do you need strong wifi to make it work across the app? What Ecobee do you have?