Illegally renting host

The only problem with that is she is never there no have never met her. She hires an outside crew to clean. I’ve never seen anyone with actual ties to the condo.

I’d post a sign on the condo door with a statement like this:

“Per HOA restrictions, condo units may not be rented for less than 30 days. Building residents who observe transient guests trespassing will report them to the condo board and local authorities.”

Then I would put the toll-free numbers for AirBnB/VRBO below and suggest they call to request alternate, legal accommodations and/or a refund. I think after just a couple of these calls, AirBnB and the owner will get the message.

10 Likes

Grrrrr - don’t get me started on parking. I used to have an issue with my first Air property regarding parking. Guests do NOT read.
Luckily my driveway is long and double wide now so no issues here.

There must be some rules within the condo community for the parking. Lucky you on a private beach. Here’s hoping you get the inconvenience of those STLs under control.

Brilliant !!!

Well then, she won’t see the notice you post to notify future guests of the infraction. She will not be able to ignore the issue once her guests start panicking and contacting AirBnB.

I’d try to post it as close as possible to check in time as you can, just to avoid having the cleaners take it down. Keep reposting it during the guest’s stay, if you can. Surely there are other residents there you can enlist to help you with this?

2 Likes

From another thread:

Consider changing your own router name to ”AIRBNB GUEST SURVEILLANCE CAMERA” or “(HOST NAME) SURVEILLANCE CAMERA”. That should further discomfort the illegal guests.

7 Likes

OMG - Classic ! ! !
Thank you for the laugh, the link and idea.

1 Like

Not sure why you can’t report this to your Condo’s HOA? There should be fines, etc. spelled out in the bylaws. That’s the route I would go in. Also, if it become uncomfortable for Airbnb guests who rent in this unit, they will leave a poor review. Call the police when they are loud. Call the police when they invade your space, parking, etc. Nothing illegal. You might want to set up a meeting with your local chief of police and ask him/her the best way to deal with it.

1 Like

Call the condo’s towing company, not the cops, please.

2 Likes

Did you immediately call the police? I would have!

TOTALLY BRILLIANT!!!

3 Likes

There are plenty of other tricks.
Get some of this tape:

And tape it across the door. :grin:

Or hire an exterminator and have them turn up at the door when the guests are there. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Stand outside and take photos of the guests when they enter/exit.

1 Like

There isn’t a neighbour website but an email airbnb provides for neighbours with concerns to contact @MaryJO

Call city hall, and ask for short term rental department. If she is not allowed to do it she obviously has no license. If there are regulations in your city about STRs that’s all you have to do is call them. They will take care of the rest. Their fines are not pretty.
Overall your story is highly unusual. One of the reason why I never go for a property with HOA is because they impose sometimes ridiculous rules and you have no Choice e but obey. The fact that they just ignoring your complaints is ludicrous. Many of my friends have condos with HOA and I heard stories about God forbid something’s is not according to their rules

1 Like

@CeeBee I about spit out my coffee! Post notice on door, pictures of guests and @Chris with the crime scene tape and wifi network names…

@jb1971 got lucky here

RR

1 Like

Great idea. I’d do pretty much anything I could to make the GUESTS feel uncomfortable. Most people don’t want to lie or be somepace illegally, so this will put pressure on the host.

I’d print up a few forms and intercept the guests. “Hey, your host is running an illegal rental, against building rules, and claiming their guests are friends. Would you be willing to help us out by signing this thing that says you’re here as a paying guest?” Whatever forms you do get can be used as evidence against the host about this “my friends” BS.

I’m sure many will be unwilling to sign. “Yeah, I understand you don’t want your name associated with this illegal place. Maybe you’d consider calling Airbnb to complain…” and hand them the 800-number and Condo bylaws showing it’s illegal.

1 Like

I’ve never lived in an HOA community and don’t know the ins and outs.

But posting something on another’s door seems iffy to me. Could the OP run afoul of HOA rules by doing that?

Perhaps an easier thing, if that host’s guests frequently come to the OP’s door by accident, is to post something on the OP’s door. Something about: If you’re here as an Airbnb guest of Condo #XXX, be aware that the Airbnb violates building rules and is possibly illegal.” Something like that. And then don’t answer the door.

Why are you trying to be forgiving? You own a condo in a community which does not allow AirBnB rentals. She is illegally renting and violating the rules as well as causing noise issues, privacy issues, and parking issues, and now you have a damaged car. I’d be furious. You have printed out and documented everything. What is there to understand? Her finances or whatever her motivations for renting just aren’t your problem.

Next step - send it all to the HOA. If one of the property managers says “she says they’re her friends…” he needs to be fired.

Noise after 12:30am? Call the police and register a noise complaint. Document it every time and send that to the head of the HOA.

Then, ask the other neighbors about this - do they want to add their names to a document getting her shut down? Because you can’t be the only one dealing with the disruptions.

5 Likes

Not a direct correlation by any means…