Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

Newbie tax question on cleaning fees (in U.S.)

Hi, started airbnb’ing my home while away last year. I understand how expenses need to be prorated for the percentage of time the house is rented. But I charge a specific cleaning fee and turn that amount over to a professional cleaner to clean prior to each quest. I don’t benefit from this service as the guest has used the place after it gets cleaned and it’s dirty when I get back. I wouldn’t hire the cleaner if I were not Airbnb’ing. Seems to me I should be able to deduct this full expense, rather than prorate by time. I understand no one is liable for the advice they give - thanks in advance. It was rented for 28 nights in 2018

Sounds like if you want to deduct that that that you’d need to send your cleaner a 1099 for her own tax purposes… that would possibly open you up to need to pay employment taxes?

What you’re describing is fully expensable.

@MissSwan has a good point about the 1099. There are some strange rules on it, such as how much you paid them (i.e. over $600/year) whether the housekeeper works mostly only for you or whether you are only a small portion of their total business. Then there’s whether you are a small business. Also, a 1099 is not required at all if the service is a bonafide corporation (e.g., Molly Maid), just make sure you keep receipts for your records.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!