New Review Policy

Looks like this was released on Monday but I just got a pop-up about it on my dashboard. In case you haven’t seen it:

Should be interesting :slight_smile: Some movement is always better than no movement. It will be interesting to hear if anyone has a decidely different experience than previously, when dealing with a review issue.

9 Likes

Thanks for this. News to me.

What seems most improved to me is that instead of agents just saying no reviews are removed because it reflects the guest’s experience, they now can be authorized to do so. For example, the part about a guest complaining about the kind of people in your neighborhood. We have seen that issue posted about here. Downside is I see much longer waits on hold for CS if you call because the number of people calling in to complain about reviews will skyrocket.

We’ll see how it actually plays out but this is the first policy change I’ve seen that is actually to the benefit of good hosts.

8 Likes

I found it disheartening that one of the things was that it would be removed if it ONLY contained irrelevant or biased info…as long as the guest says something else As well they have an out to not remove it…

I also wonder about guests who may actually show up but becuase they refused to pay for the extra people or animals never checked into the house.

I also wonder if they will allow this removal retroactively for reviews left before the 11th…

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I hadn’t seen this either. I look forward to hearing how it goes when posters here try to get reviews removed under these new policies. I predict clueless CS agents who won’t be aware of the policy changes.

I hope the ban on “irrelevant reviews” means we can finally get reviews removed that call racially-diverse neighborhoods a “bad neighborhoods.”

4 Likes

Airbnb should delete the reviews from both the host and the guest’s profile and replace them both with an automated review that says “This guest left an irrelevant review for the host.” Then at least we would all know this guest is either an idiot or a liar.

9 Likes

I have just had a guest leave me a review. I was very surprised to get the notification that she had done so and she had cancelled her booking.
She cancelled at 12.15am on the day she was supposed to arrive. We have had some road issues here and so she would have had to alter her route to our property and add quite a bit of travel time. She was still able to reach us, just via a longer route.

She didn’t ask for a refund or to reschedule. I wasn’t able to replace the booking.

I have not written her a review. I don’t see how I can as I did not meet her - she did not stay and therefore was not a guest.

I am concerned the review may not be good as she was probably annoyed about deciding to cancel.
I have sent a message to ABB CS asking for the review to be removed citing their policy of it not being relevant.

Below is what is written in Airbnb Review Policy:
“To keep reviews relevant, we recommend avoiding the following:”
" In cases where Airbnb can confirm that a review was left for a cancelled reservation, and the review contains information irrelevant to our community (e.g. frustrations about a flight cancellation), the review will be removed."

I’m really hoping they are able to have it removed. The guest was never here so how can the review be relevant?

I haven’t heard back from them yet…will update when I do.

6 Likes

If I understand correctly that one can only respond to a review of one has also left a review for the party, I would review, even if to state the facts of the cancelation as you have here. I’d hate to not be even allowed to respond if I could have prevented it.

Now, if someone could educate me as to where in the ToS (or policies or articles) it says that responses to reviews can not be left if that person did not already leave w review, I would be eternally grateful.

I don’t want to derail this thread to revisit a tired topic, but you ought to review her because who knows if AirBnB will remove her review. If you review her, diligent future hosts will read the review she’s left you. Be factual and brief: “I did not have the pleasure of hosting GUEST, who canceled the day of her arrival.”

8 Likes

I agree with @Xena. Write your review now, that way you can see her review and, if you are inclined, share it with us. It would be useful for us to see what’s in it before Airbnb decides to remove it or not.

4 Likes

I hear what you are saying but do you think I will harm my argument that neither of us should review as the booking was cancelled? In my message to Airbnb I said I would not review as I couldn’t comment on her as a guest.

1 Like

How about using this as your review?

I don’t think Airbnb CSR responds to logic. They just read scripts. I do think you should submit something.

5 Likes

Ha yes, sadly that is usually the case.
They have replied saying they have passed it on to someone who can deal with it properly…mmm. We shall see

1 Like

Update on my review from the guest that never stayed.
This is the message I have just received from Airbnb support:

"Hello, Michelle. My name is Paula, I’m a Case Manager of Airbnb. I hope my message finds you well. I’m sorry that about the recent reservation you had. I understand that the review left must have been disappointing.

Since the guest did not get to stay in the listing and the reservation was cancelled before the check in date, the review has to be taken down. As of this writing, the review has already been removed. I am going to contact the guest as well to let her know of the changes.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know."

So, I never got to see the review as I did not write one for the guest, but it seems like it was not great (If I have interpreted the CS correctly).

So maybe things are improving regarding unfair reviews, reviews from guests that did not stay etc.

12 Likes

I’m glad my hunch was wrong in this case and that you were able to get the review removed so quickly.

2 Likes

Airbnb have told me the guest is now asking for a full refund under the EC policy. They are still deciding…will let you know.

Very interesting article indeed.

Did anyone else notice the comment ‘as a marketplace’? This was the full quote:

As a marketplace, we often don’t know the truth about what took place, and our review system is a critical feedback mechanism for our hosts and guests.

Many of us have been saying here for a long time that the best way to view Airbnb is as an advertising source (or marketplace) and not to expect any more from them in the way of the services that some hosts seem to think they deserve.

This perception by some hosts is the fault of Airbnb and its advertising, of course (happy hosts and guests making crepes together with the Eiffel Tower shown just outside the window), as for a long time it has been important for them to attract hosts to meet demand.

But I wonder if the fact that they are now referring to themselves as a (mere) marketplace is the beginning of a method of phasing that out?

1 Like

Sooooooo… Why the #$%@ don’t they just not allow reviews if the cancellation occurs before check-in?

7 Likes

Exactly. I really don’t know. It seems so silly and such a waste of everyone’s time.
To me it is straight forward - if the booking is canceled and the guest does not arrive = no review.

1 Like

Even with the way they have it they will not remove a review left when a guest cancels 23 hours and 59 minutes before check-in…