New house rule? New house rule!

I’d have done the same, they messed you around too many times.

I have a 3 hour check in window. If somebody lets me know (at the time of booking) that they might arrive late, I’ll allow it (within reason. After 10pm isn’t reasonable as I’ll be in bed). But I will set a limit and tell the guest very clearly I won’t be able to accommodate a check in after that time. After that time I make sure the front door is locked and go to bed. I’ve actually only had that happen once and Airbnb fully supported my decision not to refund. My check in time is clear, my messages about allowing a later check in time were clear… it was fully on the guest for not keeping their end of the agreement. I got to keep my money and Airbnb removed the bad review that followed from the guest.

1 Like

Clearly you understand where I was coming from.
My other concern was that they would want to sit up all night coz the late arrival, not a good scenario

The problem with your ‘host’ was multifaceted but I don’t think any host should set an exact checkin time. As a guest I find this rude. A window, a generous window sure or self checkin after x time no
Problem but hosts who advertise a window then say you must meet me at x time need to be more considerate of guests on my book.

In @Morrispark case I would not have cancelled it but I would have charged a late checkin fee in the first place. I do worry about escalating people that are already disrespectful and otherwise unknown to me who have my address in the middle of the night anyways. Especially if I know they can’t get accommodations elsewhere. I actually would have been very anxious all night waiting for an sbusive call or pounding on my door,

When they arrived late due to dining out (when I am sure they could have had take out if running late), they’d get a 2 for communication and 3 for house rules from me in the review with a max of 4 stars if otherwise perfect.

I am a live in host, have a lock box, but would never just go to bed and have guests let themselves in at that hour.

Completely understandable. However, I work full time and need my sleep. So this is how I deal with it so that I’m not getting aggravated and guests don’t feel like they have to stick with a timetable. :slight_smile: The thing I appreciate about AirBNB is that each host is free to meet every single guest…or not.

2 Likes

Before I added on to my house I did this many times. As I was saying in another thread, I have a high risk tolerance. But I completely understand anyone who doesn’t want to stay up late or feels unsafe.

Every host is different and no one should feel that what they need or do is “wrong.” That should be between the guest and host.

We’re still in an adjustment period where Airbnb is getting lot of new users and since there is no consistency from one rental to the next it slows the adjustment period. Some people think breakfast must be provided (because it says bnb). Others don’t seem to understand they are in someone’s home. In others, they aren’t in someone’s home they are in an investor’s rental property.

5 Likes

I finally got hard line when guests who said they’d be there at 7pm, texted at ten and said 11, then didn’t contact me until 3 flipping AM, giving me three hours of sleep before having to get uo the nextmorning to teach. So FORGET IT. Check in after midnight cannot be a late flight, so they will not be admitted if they try that crap again.

Turns out they got disoriented on the lava flow trail and slept in their car that night. I was annoyed because they ended up coming the next day when I was at school. I was not happy but put on a happy face when I met them. Then they later spilled a whole pot of coffee on my carpet, which I spent months trying to get out.

How do people this clueless ever make it out of their own driveway?

3 Likes

Yes, we do the same and have the rental in our basement. Hasn’t been a problem so far but it is pretty common for guests to be 30 to 60 minutes later than they said. Traffic, change of plans, etc.

It’s such a bugger, several times I’ve had to wait in a freshly cleaned flat awaiting guests. But it happens all too easily, I was a guest up North (of England), allowed 5 hrs drive, did it in 4, with a coffee, and piss-like-a-racehorse break.
2 weeks later, did the same trip, and it took EIGHT hours. Every satnav diversion, (due to an accident), took me to a different crash and delay, everybody was crashing into cars that day.
8 hours, sat in my car. If I’d been cancelled due to poor time keeping…

2 Likes

I’m fine with people who are having real difficulties getting here, like if the Dartford Tunnel is snarled up or the Channel Tunnel has stopped running, and IF they communicate with me well. To paraphrase Barns, the real buggers are the folk who stop off in Canterbury, then have a meal, arrive three/four hours later than arranged without telling me, and then expect me to be at home, expressing surprise that we are next door in the pub, spluttering over our pints. But I really love those who come and join us, well, most.

3 Likes

I take a different tack because I am semi-retired and work from home. If my room is ready, I offer people early check in. If I don’t have a guest coming in after the current guest leaves I offer them late check out.
If the guest is coming at 2am because they didn’t plan correctly that’s one thing. But I had guests a couple weeks ago whose flight was cancelled because of the fires in Napa. She was able to get a late flight but would get in after midnight. I said fine, that’s what I’d want in her shoes.
I compete with local hotels and lots of other AirBnBs, my goal is to provide the best service and get repeat customers every year.
I provide beach towels, nice shampoo, loan them passes for free parking at the local beach. You name it, if I can do it I will.
Hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Cliff Keller

You don’t allow same day reservations and check ins? I can’t allow late check out due to needing to get in the room and get it ready in case someone books for that day.

Hi, maybe i was ambiguous: “If I dont have a guest coming in after the current guest leaves…” by that i meant if i don’t have a guest coming in the same day.
adios
cliff

1 Like

So a guest can’t reserve at noon and check in at 3 pm the same day?

Out of curiosity, what did Airbnb say to you when you cancelled the reservation that close to them arriving? Did you hear from the guests? I ask as I’m like to know the consequences of cancelling. Did you get paid! Please pm me if you prefer to discuss this privately. As you might have read, my host cancelled my reservation a few minutes after I arrived, about 30 min late for a very short checkin window. She’s now asking me for cleaning money as I used a towel to dry my hands, and some other nonsense and lies.

Airbnb were completely understanding.
They have the ability to read all messages so could see the guests were very unreliable.
No, I didn’t get paid, however, I felt very uneasy about it all do I was willing to wear that.

1 Like

I totally support your decision, I’m trying to figure out how to deal with this situation. Knowing what Airnb has or hasn’t done would inform my actions.

1 Like

Did you at least warn them that you might cancel if they didn’t check in by X o’clock?
Personally I would never cancel on a guest just like that, with no warning.
First time airbnbers don’t necessarily know about checkin time rules.

Yes I did warn them.
They were irresponsible.
This is my home, I would never just ‘go to bed’
And let them in when they were ready to arrive.
Another thing I’m going to do is take all names at time of booking, not just the booker.
I will research as such, then allow to book.
My home, my rules.
Getting tough.

5 Likes

We have a 3-8 PM check in time, and allow for requests outside that time. People who are willing to request it tend to be better communicators than those who don’t engage in conversation regarding check in. I picked 8 because I absolutely want them checked in by 9, and usually don’t stay up past 10. I like to know my guests have gotten in without trouble before I go to sleep. I’ve built in a buffer time intentionally, because virtually everyone is later than they say they will be.

I have learned that allowing late check ins when I’m not available can be problematic with people who do not communicate well. They tend to not read my ad or look at the pictures or check in instructions provided. If someone is coming late I need to establish that they are good communicators and have read the information they have been provided regarding check in.

I do think it is exceptionally rude to be late. I can understand 15 or 30 minutes in some cases, but I do appreciate guests who keep us apprised of any changes. I’ve never cancelled anyone for being late, though. I do usually note it in their review if I feel like they were disrespectful or non-communicative about their change of plans, though.

1 Like