New Host Needs Advise for Listings

Chris says “I’ve listed plenty of properties creatively, even if I don’t own or lease them.” Don’t know what the heck that means, although he seems to have read the room and left the building.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. Sorry his writing just goes on and on and is so repetitive. I confess to skimming.

Yes you can mute or ignore. Problem is I’m on my phone and can’t recall right now how to do it. Finding stuff on the desktop is much easier. Also note the OP isn’t the host with the terrible advice.

1 Like

That’s awful! How much of their lease was left when you evicted them? And what did the Judge award you when you took them to court?

If you read his profile and his white paper that he’s posted the link to, there are some differences between us. And as long as he keeps his self promotion there and not in the threads it will be fine.

1 Like

Too funny. They were Canadian & leaving. Court was not an option.

Speaking of being a disruptor who, oops, fails to pay sufficient attention to regulations:

Not serious and pretty much a slap on the wrist. Interesting excuse, though, “Golly gee, we were just scaling up too fast,” to paraphrase.

The kids and I have long been interested in visiting Cuba, but as U.S. citizens every time we checked it seemed the requirements had changed. At one point, the best option seemed to be to sneak in from Mexico.

2 Likes

Alaska Airlines’ usual response to community requests for donations for major charity auctions and raffles is “2 tickets to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies”. Over the past 40 years I must have purchased at least half a dozen raffle tix every year.

During the Obama administration, when travel restrictions to Cuba were relaxed and direct flights from the US were allowed, Alaska Airlines added a weekly flight from LAX to HAV, and I was buying 4 or 5 tix at each raffle.

I wanted to go for the music. A friend who loved old 50s cars made a trip back in the 90s right after the Buena Vista Social Club album was released, a trip that had been arranged a year ahead by Latino musician friends. He was a percussionist and a collector of folk instruments and folk art.

They had no trouble making friends or getting rides because they took genuine 1950-59 GM and Ford spark plugs, carburetor rebuild kits, head gaskets, and other hard to get small engine parts and bartered with them. They were popular!

1 Like

Now that’s clever!

I suggest the next time travel restrictions are relaxed you just buck up and buy RT ticket. The clock is ticking on you and on old Havana.

1 Like

My neighbor shared that her family (parents, brother SIL, & her) considered a trip to Cuba. Her Grandmother & parents left Cuba just before Castro came into power.

There is a risk (maybe small but real) if her US citizen parents return to Cuba they could be arrested for leaving illegally decades ago.

Cuba is off the family vacation list.

hello my wife and i are prospective air bnb’ers. we have a half an acre in the heart of slc utah in an upscale neighborhood, the back half of the property is just a field with trees. there is also an office building with a separate bathroom and shower area. we are thinking about putting in a yurt at the back end of the property and renting it out on bnb. there would be power to0, it would have lights but the heating would be a wood stove and there would be no running water or restroom in the bnb itself. they would have to walk over to use the restroom from my office. we also plan to put in a covered area with a gas barbeque outside and a small fridge in the yurt.

we are wondering if you guys have ever heard of anything like that and if it would/could be a viable rental? we would consider putting in a bathroom and plumbing in the future but the cost is quite high (around 30000) to get it all in and we were hoping to get established without that first or maybe permanently if possible.

we were thinking of putting in a smaller yurt and not charging a lot per night if this idea is viable.

What, if any are the rules for STR in your area?
Who will be your insurer? STR insurance in your own place can be difficult to get.
Will you be renting it out in winter?
There are numerous yurt rentals in Australia - particularly around Byron Bay - also called Glamping.

We are more wondering if people would use it if it’s a viable rental if people would want to stay in something like that.

Have you researched your area to see what the offerings are?

Yes but the problem is we didn’t find anything that has bathrooms separate from a yurt so there’s nothing to compare it to. I was wondering if something like that goes over well anywhere in the country really.

I have seen listings where guests have to walk to another building to use the bathroom and shower. Anything is doable, it’s a matter of being very clear about it in the listing info and marketing towards the type of guests who will be a good fit for you.

The woodstove is a bit of a concern, though. Guests and fire aren’t a great combo. An other type of heating an option? An infrared heater, maybe? You’d be surprised how many guests would see a listing like that and think it sounded so romantic, but they’re city slickers whose ideas come from movies and travel blogs. But they have never built a fire in their lives and freak out if they see a spider.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have you looked on the Airbnb site at the “Unique Stays”? Glamping, treehouses and such.

2 Likes

Half an acre in the heart of Salt Lake City sounds like a suburban neighborhood. A yurt tends to attract adventurous folks that would not be into camping in someone’s backyard. I’m afraid your clientele wouldn’t be the happy travelers that bring in profits.

Am I misunderstanding? Are you bordering hiking trails?

If not, and you really want to Airbnb, you might consider moving your office into your house and setting that building up as a self contained Airbnb.

2 Likes

Would you use/enjoy the yurt if the Airbnb thing didn’t work out? I assume if you price it right, they will come.

Is it cost effective to price it near to or slightly above a private room in a shared space house? Then you would get the budget traveler willing to trade central heat and bath down the hall for privacy. Could you put a covered walkway to the office building? How will you idiot-proof the stove?

Your write up could say something like “Best of both worlds. Glamp in a yurt in a wooded field, and be close to suburban amenities. Unique stay with easy access to modern indoor bath just steps away.”

1 Like

There are a lot of glamping sites within city limits and I’m sure some of them do great. Often they have a separate bath area. I think the key is to stand out with design, amenities and privacy if it is in a yard.

2 Likes