New Host Needs Advise for Listings

My pleasure.

Airbnb said in general to get a superhost ambassador in your area the superhost initiates contact. In other words like I connected with two soon to be hosts, it was not directly on the Airbnb platform.

However if a host (new or not) contacts Airbnb & asks to participate in the Ask A Superhost program, Airbnb will try to connect them in their area but area could mean same country, maybe same state but not same rental area.

If you post on a local Facebook group that you are seeking an Airbnb ambassador to assist you set up your list, you will connect with someone.

Be prepared, people will come out of everywhere trying to SELL you their services. One of my soon-hosts sent me screen shots of someone trying to sell their consultation services and saying I was a scammer. My response: you know my name, you know where I live, you found me on linked-in & Facebook, you’ve got my phone number, & I’ve invited you to chat with other hosts I’ve helped. I’m not asking you for a dime. How is that a scam?

This is not an original idea.

Early in my rental experience, I rented my two bedroom to snowbirds. They mentioned they would occasionally have friends stay so they could enjoy some golf. Occasionally-ok.

Turns out they were renting out the second bedroom every week & making money by charging their friends more than they were paying. Subletting was against their lease.

I found out when a repair was needed. One of the guests was very chatty and said she couldn’t believe her share of the rent was only$$$.

I was used. I was taken advantage of. That was/is my home I’ve invested time & money in. I acted in good faith. The renters did not. Cheeky isn’t what I think of it!!

3 Likes

Can I assume you agree that a large number of Airbnb hosts lease their property, and don’t have explicit agreement to then short term rent out their home? I don’t have any idea on numbers, but it must surely be an enormous number, and a large proportion would have a clause in the primary lease to prohibit sub-lease or short term rentals. This has been the case for a decade or more. So I think the concept of renting a space you don’t own or have explicit rights to rent on STR is extremely mainstream. Such clauses can be used to evict tenants of course, but the reality is the majority of landlords don’t mind, so long as there are no problems. Complaints from neighbours, parties or damage. Those who quietly rent and don’t cause trouble are unlikely to come under the attention or even care (if they do) of the landlord in most cases. But having the clause is good. Just like there is a law on jaywalking, but millions do often, and occasionally but very rarely get fined. It’s the normal of society. Good to have rules, good they can be enforced where needed (or even to just prove they exist as validation), but many have so much discretion and just do not cause problems. A squatter may be illegal until one day they may own the very property they were illegally inhabiting.

So agreed terms are one thing, but the spirit of the law is another, as is common practice. And critically one would needs to consider loss in examining what is right.

So in this example, the intention and expectation of this host to EVENTUALLY own the property should not mean there are any laws broken by taking bookings now, for the period they will occupy it. And in the somewhat creative or cheeky example of renting an Airbnb, this is no different to any other rental being then advertised on Airbnb… which could be perhaps even be half of the hosts, who knows. But we would surely be talking millions.

Renting a property on Airbnb regardless of if you own, loan, lease etc is quite normal, as is doing so even if the agreement specifically prohibits it. And it should not cause any loss to have someone else stay with you in an Airbnb you legally booked. That you ‘met’ them through Airbnb is no different to sub-leasing the room to your friends, who all chip in to pay you for their room in the place you booked. It causes no harm to the owner of the property, and like usual, you take responsibility for your guests while occupying the property.

I think the term disruptive idea or loophole really isn’t the case in either of these examples. Because sub-leasing as a STR is so extremely common.

But I am interested in your comment on contractual agreements. If you have an Airbnb, and you bring other guests in to the property, who have paid you for their share, regardless if it’s a church group, friends of friends, work colleagues or complete strangers… are you aware of any contract or legal requirement that prohibits this arrangement? Isn’t it extremely common? As is listing a property you don’t explicitly have a clause permitting this?

I am curious if you are aware of any law, or policy that may prohibit this common practice? And is there anything you are aware of that is unfair in this common practice? Well, the ‘way’ you advertise for room mates may be creative in this way perhaps, but it’s not unfair I don’t imagine, so long as you comply with the host rules and airbnb rules, and don’t exceed total guest count booked and take full responsibility for any damage.

But regards tax, I assume you don’t see any tax issues here. If you rent on Airbnb, you claim expenses and income. The tax authorities do not care surely what the nature of property ownership is, be it lease (long or short term), ownership, pending ownership or just a friends home. So there seems no evasion here as far as I can see.

It’s easy in life to see problems in not doing what others do. But ask yourself if Brian Chesky came to you and said he had a good business idea, to sub-lease properties to strangers on the web, I assume you would not encourage him, and would cite many reasons why it would not be a good idea. Including that you can’t sub-lease a property you don’t own for a start, given that was the majority of the entire business model to begin with!

Fortunately for Brian, he was bolder. He didn’t create an unfair platform, he didn’t evade tax, but he was disruptive. Lucky for you and me and millions of others, nobody talked him out of his idea, to (largely) rent other peoples properties to strangers, on the internet for short term rentals. Now worth billions and a way of life. It’s lucky we have people like Brian.

Maybe in this light, and the points above, you may soften and see that if not against the law or policy or causing harm to others… and benefiting you and others who you offer rentals to that could not otherwise access them (if you booked it) then it’s probably a good thing!

Well, that’s my take. So I strongly feel we should encourage the host who began this thread, to begin taking bookings for a property he doesn’t even own yet. It feels like exactly the sort of clever strategy Brian Chesky would have done and probably did back in the day!

I’d love to get feedback on how it works out too @marb1 - Share some good news, or challenges that you could still overcome on this approach!

Yes, I agree it’s not a new idea.

But if you rent an Airbnb for two weeks, which sleeps and is booked for six guests.
If you came as two, and brought two others in for a week, you would not be taking advantage of anyone. You would have the expected number of guests staying, unlike in your example, where they exceeded the expectation on nights stayed, by making it regular, when they cited occasional.

I think so long as you are within the law and not outside the lease rules in Airbnb case at least, I think it’s not really causing much harm. It feels like it might annoy others to feel a creative guest is having success with this approach more than there being actual harm, as why should the host care really, who the person is in the bed, so long as the booker takes full responsibility for the guests staying!

It’s a more extreme example of creative renting a property you don’t own, but more as example to support the listing of the property prior to taking ownership. I can’t see how this could possibly be wrong on any level, law, policy or moral, and causes no harm.

Your example feels different though as they were exceeding the number of guests per night average that was agreed to. I can see why you would be unhappy about this arrangement, and excess use in this example would cause more expense sure. So I can imagine you would rightly not be happy about that situation!

The bottom line is they used my asset to make money they did not declare as income and took advantage of me. Take me out of this and it is tax evasion.

3 Likes

@Chris_Cooper I would be furious to find out a guest or tenant was renting out rooms behind my back. Why do they get to make a profit off my investment and hard work? Who’s going to pay for damages caused by these subletters of subletters?

I can’t believe you don’t see anything wrong with that.

5 Likes

Sure, I don’t know your situation, but really, renting to room mates is not generally considered tax evasion I don’t think. But doing through Airbnb is certainly not - the tax authorities are clearly well aware of all the money made through the platform, so I don’t think there is tax evasion being a worry. Tax authorities seem very focused on STR platforms these days.

I think though, it feels used to know someone made money from your asset that you didn’t know about, even if you didn’t incur any actual loss. It feels cheating that someone got a benefit you didn’t expect… but I agree you suffered some expense loss for the extra use, and that was certainly not nice and would irritate you greatly I am sure. Sorry to hear. There are challenges with SRT in many ways.

If a guest booked for six, and two of them were their boyfriends sister and her friend, and they pay, and you all stay… would you be furious? Do you care if the person booking is related to the friend of the sister? Or only if this friend pays more than their fair share?

Bottom line, you rent for six and six people come. I don’t know there is much scope for ‘proving’ who is who, and who paid what to the person booking and so on. It doesn’t work like that. We don’t know who is coming apart from who books, and they take responsibility for the property.

So I would not say we should deny the booking if Brian doesn’t know the daughters sister or whatever, or to enforce the funds paid by this person are fair and not ‘making a profit’.

Behind my back is a way of saying ‘I was not aware how they organised the group, or who paid who’. For all you know, the ‘group’ was organised on Facebook, under Single Nomads traveling partners. Where you get some friends together who don’t know each other, and book an Airbnb. It’s quite common. Are you unhappy that these guests met on Facebook? Or how they paid who booked? I presume not.

I think you might be misunderstanding the concept of profit, I think this academic example of a creative arrangement is not about making much profit… maybe covering costs at best, but I don’t think anyone would get very rich out of it… sounds like a lot of work!

I think @Annet3176 has more to complain about though, as they had more nights booked per person than agreed, and caused expenses as a result.

It was a sublet that violated their lease. They were not US citizens. The rental was in the USA. They rented for more than they were charged.

What you are considering cheeky violates trust & takes advantage of the rental owner. We are dramatically different in our business values.

Peace out-I’m now scrolling by before I test the boundaries of polite conversation.

3 Likes

But re damages, you ask who will pay. Simple. The person booked is responsible. This isn’t changing. They allow damage, they have to pay for it. Who cares if it was Brian’s friends sister that broke the chair. Brian has to pay for it if he booked. That’s how it works. The person booking always takes responsibility. You don’t get to say he avoids it because he doesn’t know the friends sister. Goodness, many groups organise to stay in Airbnb and not all know each other. This isn’t new, it’s common, and so is who is ALWAYS responsible. The person booking. Easy!

Besides, AirCover will cover for damages by guests. There is no AirCover clause that says you as host are not covered if the person booking doesn’t really know Susan who was the responsible person who stayed and broke the chair.

There is no difference at all. People come. They stay in your place. If damage they pay, or you are covered by Airbnb regardless. The individual relationships between guests are many varied, and we can’t even discriminate on them. Suggesting you only accept bookings if everyone knows each other and pays the same amount or any other sort of criteria is discrimination, and we should not go there IMO.

@Chris_Cooper You are being ridiculous and conflating two completely different scenarios. If a place is listed for a max of 6 guests, and someone books for 6, of course whether those 6 are family,friends, acquaintences, workmates, whatever, is immaterial. The booking was accepted by the host. How they work out the finances is between the guests.

That is a completely different scenario from someone booking a place that sleeps 6, when they are only 2, and turning around and trying to make a profit off advertising 2 more bedrooms for 4.

4 Likes

The tax avoidance vs evasion was simply a parallel example of working the system vs violating terms of contract or law. Although I’d be interested to see how many of these “creative” sublets even result in declared income on tax filings.

Illegal sublets are uncontracted externalizing of risk to the landlord/owner, for injuries, property damage, and violations of law and regulation, including fines and penalties for zoning violations – and illegal sublets – which the owner gets stuck with.

One reason STRs are regulated is to preserve LTR housing availability. In those circumstances, why should a community be tolerant of illegal reduction of housing stock?

I pay for a permit, business taxes, business property tax, sales tax and lodging tax for a zoning-compliant STR, and it creates unfair business competition when others don’t. Why should I be accepting of that?

5 Likes

Yeah, commonly referred to as rental arbitrage. It’s very common and there are a good deal of “entrepreneurs” who think they are very clever for doing this, they make loads of money doing it and they love to write blogs loaded with ads about it too. They are some of the most insufferable people I’ve ever read.

As an FYI you will find that members on this forum are generally owners of the properties and not slumlord/absentee landlord types. You aren’t going to find a warm welcome here promoting rental arbitrage.

7 Likes

You are despicable. You are a liar and a cheat. It doesn’t matter that it is the same number of people that the property allows. You have entered into an agreement with the host. I’m sure you don’t treat any property you rent with much care.
You know that what you are speaking of is wrong. You just don’t care because you can get away with it. I imagine you are enjoying boasting of it here… displaying your ‘creativity’ to these unsuspecting property owners.
Well, I guess you’ve made it harder for yourself to continue to do this – because everyone in this forum has made a note of your name – we know who you are.
What a pretentious know-it-all you are. I hope that life treats you like you treat others.

7 Likes

I tend to look at my listings often, couple times a week. When I do so I do it by map. If other listings for my property showed up on airbnb I would contact airbnb to take them down. If I found the “host” was in fact my guest I would evict them. It just looks like a scam.

I’ve inadvertently booked places that say in the checkin instructions not to mention to others in the elevator you are staying in an airbnb. I don’t book them again.

As for the original poster. I put my last house up the day I closed on it. It has been booked fairly solid ever since. I wish I had waited a bit. There are some things I’d like to upgrade/change that might have made it possible to charge a bit more. Things like upgrading countertops. It’s been 3 years and I keep thinking there will be a few slow weeks sometime, but it just hasn’t happened. At this point I’m booked solid til August, and am thinking of blocking a week off then for painting…

1 Like

Most hosts here would dispute about 60% of what @Chris_Cooper posted. PLEASE read more posts on this forum, and don’t take the first response you get as gospel.

He takes chances (like letting guests clean an uncleaned house when they arrive) that most hosts wouldn’t. I suppose it depends on your approach. He’s a damn-the-torpedoes (and ignore laws and contracts) dude, and I plan things out carefully and think about repercussions before taking any significant actions.

Keep your eyes and ears open.

2 Likes

Not much any more! Cities have the house’s owner on tax records, and will let property owners know because sale and/or room tax will be due. Realtors who act as property managers for absent owners have also figured it out.

Besides being illegal in many instances, and violating the lease. Most folks don’t want to pay triple damages equal to 3x what they made by subletting, as well as local fines or penalties.

So please stop suggesting that folks commit illegal acts.

3 Likes

Chris is not the one doing this. I think he owns his properties. It would be interesting to see his reaction if someone rented his home and then sub-let it though. It seems he’d be fine with it.

He’s just a sharing economy opportunist who is trying to leverage this forum to promote what he sees as his valuable ideas.

You are incredibly naive.

4 Likes

Wow. Might as well title this thread “How to be a :poop:, pseudo-host”.

So many of us put our heart and soul into our “product” and suggesting someone decide to slap their “label” on it and upsell w/o permission it is devious. Taking pics of the “extra” rooms and posting as your listing would get you :footprints: (yeah, both feet) on your way out w/ no refunds. Yeah, it’s in the agreement!

Is it possible to actually block a thread? I never want to stumble across/read this again.

3 Likes