New Host Frustration

Thank you Nick & Jo!
I’m positive and looking forward to meeting my first guests

I had a very similar issue. I had multiple guests stay at my spot before with no issue, but the most recent guest, a visitor from france, was very rude the entire time. He arrived without a cell phone and called me mad from the bar claiming he tried to come by the apartment but nobody was home (i was home all day), so he took an attitude from the beginning, and on the first night, despite my no smoking listing decided to smoke in my bedroom, so i had a small confrontation with him asking him to please smoke outside on the roof deck, this is where the problems started…he stayed here for 20 days, I was nothing but kind and patient, as is my typical demeanor…but

Of course all of this led to a negative review and i’ve hand nothing but positive experiences otherwise. I know AirBNB does things out of fairness and lets reviews stand, but this guy TRASHED me…and i know it’ll effect my possibilty at retaining other listings.

1 Like

That is totally terrible. I would have opened a case with AirBnB right away, the minute he became defiant and smoked in your home!!! That is grounds worthy of cancellation. You could have also made a claim on his deposit for smoke damage. You need to repaint, replace smoky linens and steam clean! I hope you didn’t suffer in silence, Christina. This is an example of a guest behaving intolerably.

I had a couple earlier this year who were so bad that he used her account to travel on, probably because he’d been burned in reviews before. (No pun intended). They lit a mosquito coil iNSIDE my house. It got on everything and the smell was horrific. Mosquito coils are toxic and release the same particulate matter as 175 cigarettes. I claimed on the deposit and got it. The incoming guest never mentioned it but I was ready to refund her cleaning. I washed the quilt five times and could not get the smell out. I bought another one with the money and gave the old one to my son for his dorm room :slight_smile:

When guests are behaving badly, call and open a case with AIR no matter when it is within their reservation. That way if you claim on something later you will have more leverage on your side.

3 Likes

That is an absolutely perfect way to handle the situation. Thanks for the very useful advice!