New Host Frustration

Maybe let the Airbnb people know in advance what a PIA this guy is being and ask about diverting a review altogether. I have avoided certain guests too. If they start asking too many questions, I just tell them it’s unavailable. I mean, either ppl get what this service is about or they don’t. So for me, once a set of questions goes beyond three or four exchanges (within reason, that is) I start to question the guest’s suitability. The instant book function, in that regard, makes me a bit nervous. I booked a family in from Europe through it and even though they were only here for two nights–and it was a big family–they made all sorts of negative comments (in the private message part of the review thankfully). Everything they complained about was obvious in the photos on my listing–if they’d looked more closely, they would have understood that the second bedroom was smaller than the master (duh!). I did try to go back and make a private comment back, to that effect, but the system wouldn’t allow me to do that. So go with your gut next time. And don’t be afraid to say “This guest had unrealistic expectations” in the review and leave it at that, if Airbnb won’t let you avoid a review altogether. I would appreciate it if hosts did that more often.

3 Likes

After hosting for over a year, I have my first “difficult” guest. This guest booked 6 months in advance for the Women’s World Cup soccer in Vancouver and came Germany to spend a month in our separate, self-catering suite. Here are her missteps:

• Didn’t read the listing that explicitly stated the TV was only hooked up to Internet - no cable.

• My offer to pick her up from station was rejected, resulting in her getting lost for 2 hours.

• Once she realized she needed cable and possibly pay-per-view did not openly ask for it, just a passive aggressive assumption that I should know how she wants to spend her leisure time, in front of the TV!

• Finally, after spending her first week and expending all the toilet paper we got her started with (4 rolls), complained about how expensive it is in Vancouver, especially the toilet paper!

All this plus some out of touch assumption that I would play tour guide for her has helped me learn a couple things: stress the self-catering aspect and for events remind people that we are not necessarily experts and a requisite amount of effort would be needed by the guest to learn about the thing they came here for!

Note: I let her use my personal iPad to watch her German game before I could organize the cable, dropped her off at a Fan Zone. Did get cable installed but she found one Sunday our TSN channel had golf instead, welcome to North America!

I’m just about to host my first guests and I’m trying to only think of the positives but I can’t help being taken in by the horror stories on the forum!
I am now terrified!
Thankfully it’s a separate apartment from mine, just the floor above.
I hope you got your money no off their deposit Tessa…

2 Likes

I never refund money!!! If they are not happy they are welcome to leave! If I have described things perfectly and disclosed everything, and they still are not happy, they are welcome to leave and I keep their cash.

Certain guests would not even be happy staying at the Taj Mahal and no doubt find SOMETHING wrong there!

Laurent, you can do it…disclose everything you can think of in your listing and be honest. Post as many pics of the area as you can. Post pics of the apartment honestly.

I say, “If you are looking to walk to nightlife and Starbux, I am not the place. If you want total tranquility and crashing surf, whales in the winter, then that is more like us” Furthermore I state, I offer a studio at the first level of a single family home and it’s not a five star place or the 4 Seasons. But it is cozy, homey and comfortable." ETC…

I try to obliterate all potential complaints by telling them exactly what they are getting! And what they are NOT getting…

I also have a disclaimer… No refunds on unused nights, booking errors, weather delays, etc.

I’ve been a host for five years and have maybe three horror stories. Most guests are great and they love my place.

That’s a pretty good average… but you can try to list and see what happens. Make up a guest info document that addresses the way you want them to behave. I have mentioned this in other threads.

Disgusting bratty guest! You went way overboard catering to her!

GROSSSSSSSS!!! this guy is a kook!

You have to get an estimate of the repair either online or in person and upload within 48 hours. Personally, I probably would not have claimed damage on that one… But I would leave him a bad review. if you fear that it would prompt him to leave a bad one when you do, wait until 11:59Pm on the last day of the review period so he doesn’t have a second to respond. Use a cut and paste of a document you’ve already written, paste into the review window and hit submit.

He is clearly an idiot and other hosts should be warned before taking him on. Air needs to have this type weeded out and the only way to do so is by reviews.

3 Likes

Airbnb just emailed letting me know they will grant my request for $30 on the security deposit.

They didn’t mention anything about my concerns that he will reciprocate with a negative review. I am hoping he doesn’t know how (he seemed a little tech-unsavvy). I like your tip for waiting until the last minute. Thanks everyone for your advice.

I was not really expecting the money back, but just wanted to make it clear to this guy that his behavior was not acceptable.

I will absolutely leave a review to warn future hosts.

2 Likes

Kona, your place sounds amazing!
Thanks for your nice words - I’m sure it will all be fine. I’ve been running around for the last week trying to not leave anything to chance!

1 Like

Thanks Beach Guy. I just need to relax and get my first guests out of the way!

2 Likes

Excellent! Glad you got them to pay!!!

You will mostly have happy guests… As long as you are clear on everything and disclose… Write up a document which politely expounds on the rules. Sometimes you have to have a few experiences which will cause you to add to the rules… such as with Tessa’s experience. Now she may have to write that guests will please not add adhesives to the walls. (really… that’s so nuts I think it will be an isolated incident.)

As I have said previously, guests remind me of my kindergarten students. If I don’t tell them exactly how I expect them to behave they will see it as a free-for-all and chaos will prevail. Also if you don’t tell them what you expect, you can’t then later get down on them when they break the rules that you would have seen as total common sense. A common one is unregistered guests in the space. If you don’t say so upfront you will get people thinking they can do it!!!

As I said, Ive been hosting a while and 99% are OK. The ones who aren’t did not read and/or understand my rules…It will take you a while to get what could be considered a red flag.

As an example, here’s a booking inquiry I declined this morning. Red flags all over it. Trying to bargain me down, bringing a toddler (he didn’t read even the first paragraph of my description where I state two guests max and that I’m not a good fit for toddlers.) Someone who bargains with you is not a good guest or resepctful right off the bat. Turned him down even though I have no bookings for August at the moment. Rather have nothing than have trouble.

4 Likes

Thank you Kona, it really helps to hear this.
I’m trying to not hyperventilate too much as my first guests arrive tomorrow. I don’t think I’ve ever clean a place so much in my life!

Hi Konacoconutz

I like your comments about being honest and clear beforehand on the listing.

But If I may offer something up, in general, that offering refunds is a key part of Hospitality. I have worked for many years in restaurants, bars and hotels. And in my experience if you refuse refunds or flexibility in a complaint situation, no matter whether that customer is right or not (quite often they are not…) it will lead to much worse complaints which will eventually impact your business negatively. I have actually seen a $62million business shut down because of the refusal of one product!!

The Directors took the stance that the money is in, it is now mine. And if I start refunding one person, I have to refund them all… and in some ways they are correct. They do have to be flexible with every person that raises concerns. because it is easier to lose one product (no matter how much it retails at) than the whole business and the loss of jobs (in this case of 40 - 300 people).

I realise I am talking about alot less than that. But it only takes one customer to take that complaint to the ends of the earth and back again, convincing every customer, affiliated company and some times staff members that the company is a scam/sham or a disgrace and there is no turning back. (They even set up a website attacking the company. Forcing huge authoritative organisations to have to take action and eventually the company in question to court.) Those Directors are now signed-on to JSA. (Benefits.)

My advice is to give people what they want and wash your hands. It will save you alot more hassle in the future. And they can’t hit back at you because you did everything you can to right the wrong. (Again, whether it was a wrong in your eyes or not.)

We have all been on that side before and know how infuriating it is to be told you can’t get refunded for something you believe to be the company’s fault…

Anyway. That is how I look at customer service; There is always give and take. (Usually the customer takes. But it will be less often if you run a good and flexible business.)

From this post, it seems that we all have to be a little vigilant when it comes to selecting who stays in our houses. We are lucky that we have that ability to try and suss out our customer before they walk in through the door. It is a fantastic tool that should be used wisely (and not greedily). All we want is to make a bit of extra cash and have some fun meeting new GOOD people. It shouldn’t be too hard if we keep our heads on.

Good luck and happy experiences all!

3 Likes

Im glad you are going ahead with it.

I have just had my third guest leave this morning. And she, like the other two, was golden! Arrived with a smile, left without mess or hassle.

Good luck. Have fun with it.

1 Like

I did the same recently. I refused a toddler.

She wanted to share the bed with her 4 year old. Which, I thought was strange but on a lot of probing, I found out she had her husband there too…

I get that they were trying to save money, but we are not a hostel. And I am not sure I want to get in to the potential legal issues with having young children staying. And most definitely over occupied beds.

The other one was a guy and his wife who wanted to stay for 8 days whilst his work was doing up his office. So was basically wanting a home office for over a week! I charge a nightly rate for those that need a bed at night and would expect them to be more often than not out during the day… not becoming a “housemate” for that time. Using all my internet, electricity, kitchen facilities and space in the house… I am most definitely not charging enough for that much time and space… Plus, what was his wife going to do?? People really do try it on!

Ha…

4 Likes

Nick, I see your point…but Air is not the same kind of business as a restaurant where people have come to expect staff falling at their feet and bending over backwards and refunding right and left. We are renting out our personal homes for the most part. The listing description part of it kind of reminds me of eBay when I used to list there. As long as I was totally clear on my description and disclosed everything, they really did not have a means to complain!

I see you are a relatively new host. I’ve been at this since Air opened their doors… You will quickly learn that you’ll cut into your profits if you start refunding just because “the customer is always right.” (A policy that you’ve been used to in your days of working in bars and restaurants.)

Are they always right? No.

It’s entirely unfair to complain about something that was totally explained and disclosed in the listing, and they don’t have a leg to stand on. Further, unless you are receiving constant repeat customers, refunding and other kowtowing won’t benefit you at all.

2 Likes

Just want to add… Hawaii has a lot of different kinds of lodging options… If you are looking for an air conditioned condo at a resort or like to ride in a silly gondola at the Hilton, or want to be in the bustling, hot tourist area, you are not going to like my place. I’m clear in 1000 ways about what my place and what it isn’t. If you get here and ask where is the air conditioning and say that my place is “meh” while you’re standing on my deck looking out at my million dollar view, within one minute of some of the island’s outstanding snorkeling and still aren’t happy, you clearly did not read my listing carefully before booking.

I have 65 positive reviews in Air dating back to 2010. The majority of guests LOVE my place and appreciate what I have. I’m simply not going to give any refunds when I did everything right and guests didn’t read or understand what they are getting. Also, I encourage them to write with any questions they may have before booking. They have every chance in the world to ask everything.

1 Like

One more thing!!! I will refund under certain circumstances. I have refunded if someone accidentally booked…and realized it right away. I just had a poor gal book the wrong island. Of course I refunded that… Even though Air kept their portion of the fee. I will also refund on cancellations if they can prove death in the family, etc. Sorry to sound jaded, but I have been played for a fool too many times by guests. If your Grampa really died, give me proof and I will refund. If you found another place or just realized you could stay at the marriott on points, sorry, no refunds, and don’t try to tell me your Grampa died! I’ve lost thousands by believing guest fibs and I’m the loser for it.

I’m a great host and go out of my way to make sure they have a great time at my house. They have everything they need to ENJOY authentic Hawaii…something most resorts and condos out there cannot give.

That’s all for now! :slight_smile: