New "feature"? No photo until booked?

Looking both on my phone and online (location USA), I have 4 types of messages.

1. Booking request (not accepted)
  2. Inquiry
  3. Accepted - prior to stay
  4. Accepted - after stay is over
    Now - what is unique about these - is that I can only see the guests PHOTO on #3 & #4, the accepted reservations.
    For the other 2, I see the first letter of their name in a gray circle.
    I am sure this is to help Airbnb with their quest to abolish discrimination in the platform.

Oh, interesting! I just got a query on Saturday for a newbie guest. I couldn’t see his photo during the inquiry but could after accepting the booking. I thought perhaps he uploaded it during the process.

I understand what Air is trying to address but why the heck should the host photo be visible to potential guests but not vice versa?! If this is a social/sharing platform, let’s address discrimination another way, not by making information lopsided.

7 Likes

If this is their plan to help eliminate discrimination, it’s a piss poor one.

Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that I hate all people who are purple and orange striped. I get an inquiry from a potential guest. I can’t see their picture, so not knowing they are purple and orange striped, I accept the booking. Now I have people I hate in my home. It would seem to me that this type of thing could be problematic in many ways.

1 Like

What does a photo do to determine if someone will be a good guest? Open a school year book, I doubt you can pick out the bullies.

3 Likes

I have a friend new to AirBnB as a host and she had one of her first bookings go sour.
Her accommodation is for 2 guests max. Her guest brought in 7 additional visitors for a pool/hot tub party…
Profile pic of guest was him and a friend flipping a finger to the camera !

2 Likes

That makes sense. Eliminating discrimination based on what the person looks like before you accept them but once they book you want to know what they look like for when they show up. I had someone stay this past weekend who put up a picture of Ben Franklin as himself. Everything went smoothly and he was a great guest but I don’t like that. I wonder if that would pass through with this new feature?

1 Like

I think Airbnb doesn’t want hosts who don’t like purple and orange striped people and maybe you’ll leave when you start getting them.

I think it’s just a matter of time until Airbnb goes to an instant book only format. They will try to make up lost revenue from hosts who leave with experiences, restaurant reservations, etc.

2 Likes

Blockquote[quote=“MaryMac, post:5, topic:17889”]
I have a friend new to AirBnB as a host and she had one of her first bookings go sour.

Her accommodation is for 2 guests max. Her guest brought in 7 additional visitors for a pool/hot tub party…

Profile pic of guest was him and a friend flipping a finger to the camera !
[/quote]

Yup. And if they’re not considered enough to put up a decent photo, then they’re certainly not considered enough to care about your House Rules.

6 Likes

That policy is going to kill Airbnb! I’ve never discriminated my guests, but its unfair and unsafe for hosts to open up their properties and families to people they can’t properly screen. Thinking about quitting Airbnb.

How do you define fairness?

What are your screening criteria, almost every criterion hosts have used in generalization to screen/judge a potential has throw up a fair share of exceptions. These generalizations don’t work.

If you quit Airbnb guess you won’t be missed! Ave!

1 Like

I had two inquiries yesterday, and I could see both of their profiles, including the pictures.

3 Likes

Fair is when both sides are transparent! They see my photo and I should be able to see theirs. Thats fair. Its about How people present themselves. Picture can tell much more about a person then any description .

2 Likes

You’re wrong.

Regardless of that, Airbnb is taking action and will continue to take action to try to reduce and eliminate discrimination on it’s platform.

1 Like

Based on your confirmation bias and to suit your prejudices and your narrow views.

1 Like

Uncertain where I stand on the need to see a profile picture before hand, however, if I saw a profile picture of a potential guest flipping a finger to the camera I think it would not be a stretch to say that person makes me uncomfortable!Hopefully, if that photo was reveled after booking Air would allow a no-penalty cancellation on the grounds of the host being offended or intimidated by the gesture.

I think most people would be uncomfortable seeing any picture making obscene gestures. And I hope you’re right that Airbnb will move to remedy it, including cancelling the booking penalty-free (though, has this actually happened in your case?)

1 Like

Has not happened to me - I was reflecting on MaryMac saying:

“I have a friend new to AirBnB as a host and she had one of her first bookings go sour.
Profile pic of guest was him and a friend flipping a finger to the camera !”

Ha just got an IB with NO photo of the guest, but many lovely photos of his prior hosts with their rating comments. This is in the app, will check platform later

I understand that seeing a person’s face might help some hosts feel that they’re getting a sense of who will be sharing their home/booking their space.

HOWEVER, this has been my experience:

1. The worst guests had photos that showed their faces. Every time.

2. There’s no guarantee that they look like their photo. I had one guest, whose photo shows a 20-30 year old woman, and she showed up and was 10-20 years older than her (outdated photo) - which was fine. Lost of photos look super glam and then when the person shows up, they look completely different. So a face photo is no guarantee that they actually look like that.

3. One of my best guests (who has since become a dear friend) had her profile photo where she looked like an angry , unhappy, nun (I told her this and she laughed). However, her inquiry gave me all of her information and told me that she needed a place to stay as her daughter had been in a car accident (lived nearby but didn’t have extra space - which is common, I get lots of folks who have grown kids who live nearby) and needed her help. As a parent, I understood that and she’d given me enough information and details that I felt comfortable enough to accept her booking. She showed up, hugged me hard, with tears in her eyes. and thanked me for accepting her request. She was stellar and has been a returning guest (5 or 6 times since) and I’ve made a lovely friend for life.

Another guy had a photo with 3 people in it - no idea who he was, but again, because of his inquiry, I accepted him. He’s become a friend (and is now also my producer). Go figure.

1. Sadly, as we know - racism, homophobia, ant-everything sentiment exists. I get that. Despite having the privilege of living in a country where this is illegal and mostly unsupported (and yes, sadly, still happens), I know that no one is immune. So, if a guest feels like they’re going to be discriminated against because someone will see their skin colour/a hijab/something religious/queer/trans stuff etc., then I’m okay without a photo.

Having said that, I guess that having positive reviews by folks from all over the world, with a huge range of orientations, beliefs, races etc. probably helps others know that they will feel welcomed and comfortable in ones home. I definitely see a trend. When a person from Brazil, for example, writes a great review, I do tend to get more inquiries from folks from Brazil right afterwards. I see this often.

Just my nickel (as they no longer make pennies here anymore, so no more two cents) @Astaire :smiley:

4 Likes