New "feature"? No photo until booked?

I wish we would stop as well. Do you still have the equivalent of dollar bills? Here we are storing billions in $1 coins, wasting money to store them, wasting money printing short lived bills…

We haven’t had dollar bills for almost 30 years, but we do have one and two dollar coins (one dollar ones have a loon on the front, so we call them loonies - I know - and the two dollar coins are called townies - just because). : 0 )

We FINALLY got a bill with a woman on the front - Viola Desmond: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-banknote-woman-1.3885844

Yay us (FINALLY)!

Still (and probably always will be) ahead of us on this and so many other things.

1 Like

True - but no tropical provinces here (or sweet potato pie)! :smiley:

UPDATE on guest pictures displaying
I received several inquiries & the guest photo did not display until booked.

Yesterday, I received an inquiry & the guest picture displayed. It seems a change has occurred…again.

2 Likes

@KKC I can see where discrimination COULD happen over a profile picture alone, but I agree with @belleangel_32 that some people are so ignorant about presentation that they are willing to post a profile picture of them committing a crime…Just look at FaceBook profile pictures…which goes a long way toward telling me they are not going to respect my House Rules. :astonished:

Judging from profile pictures described on this post I think it is clear that what Airbnb means by “Profile Picture” in the profile verification is simply that they have uploaded a photo. period. They do not verify that it is a picture of the person.
I on the other hand try to verify that information as best I can with what information is shared with me.

I SO agree with your reply.
My concern is raised when there are unanswered questions along with no profile picture. I can overlook an uninformed profile picture if all the other questions are answered.

Since Airbnb does not allow third-party bookings, the photo helps host to identify if staying guest is actually the one who booked. I also have IB, and if there is no photo at instant reservation, I send out polite message asking to upload clear photo and provide me with full names of everyone else in their party. And I only release check in info with the lock code after they complete that request.

That has been my issue with this new policy as well. If this is truly about preventing discrimination, then why are host photos still posted prior to booking. Is Airbnb OK with guests discriminating but not hosts? I have been promised a call from a manager explaining the discrepancy of this policy, but it has been a week since that promise was made and still no call! Can anyone explain how this is not a double standard? I suspect they cannot explain it, so they simply will not call and try. I abhor the idea of people being declined based on color, creed, religion, etc. However, sometimes a person communicates a lot about who they are, what kind of human being they are in a photo. (this is not always the case, but when it is, it is very helpful) There is a difference between discrimination and discernment. One is repugnant, the other is wise.

1 Like

There are many listings with no actual host photo.

1 Like

so we can “pull” our host photo out of our listing if we want to?

@Hampton Yes, you can change your host photo. I have a few times bc I can’t decide if I want my daughter in the picture, or just us, just me, or something not showing us at all. I like that we have a pic that shows our family, but then I get uncomfortable with my 11 year old kiddo’s picture out there. I have changed it to a waterfall that is near the property as well, but I came back to our family picture bc that is the guest segment I would like to appeal to.

1 Like

Yes. You might consider that there are guests who won’t stay at a listing with no host photo just as there are hosts who won’t accept requests from guests with no photo. Honestly, so few pictures look like the person in person that I don’t know why anyone concerns themselves with it but what do I know?

1 Like