New cleaning protocol going mandatory!

I got my only 3-star review after using a plug-in. The funny thing was the guest thought the smell was coming from potpourri, which I do have, but it’s at least 20 years old and no longer has a smell.

1 Like

You don’t really have potpourri that’s 20 years old?

1 Like

Nowhere in the protocol does it say that you have to have a dishwasher.

I know a lot of hosts are afraid this will just give guests easy reasons to complain and demand refunds, but scammy guests who try to get refunds for non-issues have always been around. They could always claim that the place was dirty because they found some dust somewhere, or make up a false bedbug claim, or bring a dead cockroach in a baggie, put it on the bed and take a photo.

I may be wrong, but I don’t think the protocol will lead to more bogus refund claims.

Guests are either that type, in which case they’ll make up some issue no matter what, or they aren’t.

1 Like

You are correct, thank you, but I thought it did in its first version. Anyway I figured it would be difficult (time-consuming=expensive) for me to ask the cleaner to wash all the crockery, cutlery and utensils that I provide, for 6 or 7, by hand. I decided buying a dishwasher would be cheaper although tricky to find a space in the small kitchen for it.

I think there will be some. Hopefully not a lot.

When I go on Airbnb in Chrome, I get a notice about the new protocol and deadline. Doesn’t show up in my app.

If you click through it and agree it will go away…

RR

Not only are guests required to wear facemasks but also hosts will be required to wear them when interacting with any guests. This is in addition to maintaining social distance which seems to be way beyond what most local rules or health authorities call for. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

Not me.

If you want to discuss Airbnb policies go ahead. However people who use this forum to push political conspiracy theories, engage in covid denial or otherwise promote dangerous anti-science baloney will have such posts deleted.

220k and counting are dead, millions have been ill in the US alone.

We aren’t playing.

3 Likes

No problem at all. I’d insist on it, even if legal regulations and Airbnb didn’t (except that we’re closed and entirely isolated because of the pandemic).

People seem to think that if they do the bare minimum required by some health regulation, they are exempt from any danger. It just isn’t like that. The regulations that exist in the US (in areas where any exist) are bare-bones minimum at best. They are no guarantee of safety. I have more sense than that. I read about the science of Covid-19 transmission, and I know that even masking and distancing and hand-washing aren’t enough.

I believe that far too many people are willing to comply (sort of) with regulations, but then they think they’re off the hook.

The reality is that nearly 1,000 US people die each day from Covid-19. So far today (10/21/2020), for example, the number was 935 US dead at 8:24 p.m. There will be three more updates until the numbers for today are done.

Let’s look at 935 people dead. Suppose all church bells were to ring once a day for each person who died in the last 24 hours. For today so far, the bells would ring every 1.54 minutes.

I’m not okay with that. And I’m not okay with complaining about being required to do the bare minimum for safety.

3 Likes

Gov. Christie wrote this today in the Wall Street Journal:

“When you get this disease, it hits you how easy it is to prevent. We are asked to wear cloth over our mouth and nose, wash our hands and avoid crowds. These minor inconveniences can save your life, your neighbors and the economy. Seldom has so little been asked for so much benefit. Yet the message will be broadly heeded only if it is consistently and honestly delivered by the media, religious leaders, sports figures and public servants. Those in positions of authority have a duty to get the message out.”

The message needs to be heeded and Airbnb is trying to be part of the proper messaging.

2 Likes

I merely asked the question. I am not OK with this as you probably can guess. I will be severing my relationship with Airbnb if this rule is upheld. I just wondered if anybody else felt this way. I have no desire to get into a debate about Covid at all. There are plenty of other forums for that

Let’s be frank. Airbnb is only going to “uphold” it by your guests reporting you. I’ve been on this forum over 5 years and I’ve read a number of stories of Airbnb shutting hosts down over what are reportedly minor misunderstandings.

If, as a guest, I expect a host to follow certain protocols and they don’t do so with something as serious as this then yes, I’ll leave the Airbnb and call customer service. How many guests will feel that way? Eh, there seems to be plenty of your fellow Americans (I assume you are in the US) who feel just the way you do. And there are certainly ways to signal on your listing what your philosophy is without violating Airbnb standards.

With cases surging across the country and sure to get worse, some municipalities will probably consider shutting down Airbnbs as they did in some places this past spring.

Also, although I’m a mask user I no longer regularly greet my guests in person. They don’t see me and I don’t see them and masks are irrelevant. I’ve opened the door a few times and spoken to guests at several feet away and I’m masked. If they aren’t I’m not going to worry about it since they weren’t expecting me to stick my head out the door. I have self check in.

1 Like

Yes you are correct I am one of those rebellious Americans and also live in a rural area that does not have the dangers that have infected so many more rural parts of the country. I operate a bed-and-breakfast and one of the fun parts of being in this business is being able to interact with the guests. In New York State the rule is wear a mask IF you cannot social distance. I do maintain social distance and many times interactions I have with guests are outdoors, which lowers the risk even further. As I understand it, per the email I received today I have until November 20 to certify that I will follow all the new rules. I’m not interested in trying to sneak around and bend the rules and then get caught or reported by a guest. I’m just enough of a freedom loving person to believe that it is up to the hosts and the guests as individuals to make their own decisions on whether and when they want to wear a mask. Airbnb intruding on these individual decisions is a slippery slope. I suppose next year they will require the host, cleaning personnel and all guests to be vaccinated to use the service. Will you be in favor of that as well?

No; I welcome it. it protects me. It protects guests. It protects ALL those we encounter.

No different that what is required of me when I go to Starbucks, the grocery store, my gym, etc. It is also what hotels are requiring.

If you or your guests are not comfortable with the requirements, then you all can move to a platform that suits your needs. That, in turn, will be doing a favor to the rest of us who are taking this Pandemic seriously.

Some new information

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/21/coronavirus-close-contact-cdc/

"Federal health officials issued new guidance on Wednesday that greatly expands the pool of people considered at risk of contracting the novel coronavirus by changing the definition of who is a “close contact” of an infected individual.

…It also underscores the importance of mask-wearing to prevent spread of the virus …"

3 Likes

As someone who worked in public schools for 30 years and had to follow all kinds of restrictions on my freedom in order to get and keep my job, I have no problem getting a safe vaccine. Airbnb won’t have to require me to do so.

2 Likes

Which is certainly your choice and should be your choice. Whether the vaccines will actually be safe after being produced in such a hurry is a question that a lot of people are concerned about. I would rather make that decision myself as well rather than be told by Airbnb or anybody else what I have to do.

Yeah, I’d really prefer to make all my decisions myself and not be told what to do as well but that’s never been an option.

2 Likes

Don’t let the door hit your posterior on you way out.

I want guests to think we’re superclean and concerned for their health. I sure as hell wouldn’t stay at a place that didn’t meet these requirements.

3 Likes