New cleaning protocol going mandatory!

I think the concern was that the microfiber when washed gets into the water system and is bad for the environment. I never actually looked that up so if anyone has a link to info on that I would be interested. Thousands maybe million of microfiber cloths washed in hot water every day. That’s a lot of environmental impact. My hubby uses them all the time for anything that might scratch, mirrors, cars, etc…so we have these too.

@rmiriam

You conveniently left out “all”. I’m sure many hosts will do the same.

• Wash all linens at the highest heat setting recommended by the manufacturer. Remember to change your disposable gloves before you handle any clean linens.

• Wash all dishes, and empty the dishwasher. It’s important to wash all the dishes to help ensure hygienic standards. To make sure that you have enough time to clean them between each stay, consider limiting the number of dishes that guests can access.

Actually, I have some :shushing_face: They do work well for cleaning, I just wouldn’t want to sleep on that material. It is disturbing, though, to read the reports about micro-plastics being found in the water that goes down drains from washing machines from washing these plastic-based materials.

1 Like

Now why on earth would anyone need to wear gloves when handling clean linens? I don’t know about other people, but I would naturally wash my hands before handling clean stuff. Or does Airbnb have shares in disposable glove companies?

It’s a “performative action” - you’re doing it to show that you’re careful, not to actually accomplish anything.

It’s like food prep staff who wear gloves to show you how hygienic they are. Regular soap and water works just as well, arguably even better.

3 Likes

Nope, I didn’t. Well, I did in my post - sorry about that. I still think that “washing all” of anything means washing anything that is or might be dirty. Things that aren’t dirty are already washed. For instance, I wash every piece of linen on a bed after a stay (of course). But I’m the spare set of sheets in the cabinet is already washed. I wash the hanging dish towel even if it looks clean, because people may have dried their hands on it, but the clean ones in the drawer have already been washed. I feel like that instruction may be aimed at those people who just wash the sheets and neglect to wash blankets, mattress pads, etc. every time (not to start anything…).

3 Likes

Here’s a fact.

Chatting to another host locally the other day, we both decided that our rental properties are far cleaner than our own apartments!

mankyjocks.com

:smile:

JF

4 Likes

@rmiriam

Airbnb’s communication on this has been progressively ambiguous. The original 39-page handbook explicitly required rewashing all kitchenware, tableware, and linens, regardless of use. The five-step protocol introduced a few days ago contains the slightly less-clear language above, but still pretty clearly implies the same. The text you actually have to commit to, which I just got this morning, says only “Wash all dishes and laundry at the highest heat setting possible,” which any reasonable person would interpret as you do, though it could also be interpreted as the original stringent requirement.

I’m not reopening Airbnb in my home until we have this virus under control. I can’t find the cleaning FDA approved products in stores and the link for cleaning products that Airbnb has, those products are too pricey. Under current protocol I can only have the rooms available 15 out of 30 days if having nightly guests. So, this isn’t a worthwhile pursuit. Airbnb really not giving me much of an option right now. Good luck to everyone that chooses to stay open. Right now the virus is too much of a gamble. I’m sorry about all the extra stuff that needs to be done Mountainhost.

1 Like

OK, what does our teacher, @KKC say is the right interpretation? I don’t read this as a requirement to wash all of the dishes, just to wash dishes in the hottest water possible and not just rinse them off in cool water.

So in agreement. No doubt the second time around airbnb is trying to soften the policy and leave hosts some wiggle room, but anyone who follows this thread can see how much disappointment and confusion this has created among hosts. I am just going to take the advice of one of our compadres and try to use common sense with this and hope for the best.

2 Likes

Common sense is where I am at. In our local area we have not had a case of the virus for 175 days! And only 6 new cases in the state today.

4 Likes

That would be funny! Fortunately, we have been closed to all guests since mid-March.

3 Likes

LOL. I read it as dishes and laundry used by the guest. That said, I know there are people who wash every dish and flatware and cookware item in the rental to make sure it’s clean.

All laundry? Am I going to have to move my linen storage out of the Airbnb room and into my part of the house so that I don’t have to do 14 loads of laundry after a one night stay?

A little sense can go a long way. But I’ll repeat what I said before: this is all honor system. Shoot, before the pandemic we were still trying to convince hosts they need to wash the duvet cover/bedspread/comforter/quilt/whatever you call your top layer after every guest.

If I had a whole house rental I’d be washing all the dishes the guest had used and inspecting the rest for any visible signs of use. A random dead fly can end up in a bowl and no guest wants to see that.

2 Likes

Me. :slight_smile:

But I only supply two of everything per person so it’s a quick job.

1 Like

Yes, and the cleaning guidelines and protocol are about not spreading a virus. That’s the important part, not acting like a good little Airbnb soldier unquestioningly following orders. So if a host understands and cares about virus transmission, I’d say just do what makes sense and ignore the rest. There’s no way I’d put on disposable gloves to handle the clean laundry, for instance- my hands are already washed if I’m going to handle clean stuff. Why would I needlessly create more plastic landfill garbage?

Quite honestly, their cleaning checklist pretty much just reads like cleaning 101 to me- Start at the ceiling and work down? Duh. Maybe 20 year olds are clueless about how to clean properly, but I am picturing a bunch of millennials at Airbnb, who’ve never actually cleaned a house thoroughly in their lives, thinking that they need to make lists of cleaning implements like brooms and dustpans for 71 year old hosts and I just find it comical.

5 Likes

I know a lot of old adults who either don’t know how to clean properly or just don’t try.

I just don’t see this as an age issue.

No one is born knowing how to clean and someone has to teach them. I think Airbnb providing guidelines and not assuming people know the basics is wise.

Gloves are to protect YOU from infection. If you are potentially going to come into contact with bodily fluids, lon a bedsheet, towel, or in a bathroom then it might be wise. Studies have supported their use for health care workers obviously, and if they aren’t worn properly and removed properly there’s no point in doing it.

I don’t routinely wear them for cleaning the Airbnb but I can see why someone might.

I was talking about not putting on gloves to carry freshly laundered linens, which seems pointless to me, not handling used laundry.

Yep. I’m married to one. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I must have understood what “for instance” meant.